Chinese Smugglers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday
I believe back in the Day the Chinese would, amalgamate ,melt gold and infuse it into lead or suitable carriers in order to smuggle the gold out of Aus and safely back to China in order not to declare .
Is this true? What kind of weight were they doing ?
Obviously hoping looked something like this, either that an old weight used in the field at 1 point, this weighs in at 62.15g

1561523000_img_20190626_141605.jpg

1561522837_img_20190626_141743.jpg

Is there a chance you can take a few more pictures in better light, it's a bit hard to see detail with the sun glare. Looks interesting :Y:

I'm a bit doubtful about that history - the gold they produced would have been measured in hundreds of tonnes. They were not operating as individuals but were sent here by Chinese businessmen to mine on contract to them. They were 22% of the Victorian population at one stage. And they mined a lot!

Also, did they actually take much back, or simply sell to gold buyers on the goldfields?

goldierocks said:
I'm a bit doubtful about that history - the gold they produced would have been measured in hundreds of tonnes. They were not operating as individuals but were sent here by Chinese businessmen to mine on contract to them. They were 22% of the Victorian population at one stage. And they mined a lot!

Also, did they actually take much back, or simply sell to gold buyers on the goldfields?

i read somewhere that at a particular port during a stormy night there were rowboats taking the chinese out to their ship for the trip back to china , the boat flipped over but the chinese disappeared beneath the waves due to the gold sewn into their jackets and had no hope of swimming.

CreviceSucker said:
goldierocks said:

i read somewhere that at a particular port during a stormy night there were rowboats taking the chinese out to their ship for the trip back to china , the boat flipped over but the chinese disappeared beneath the waves due to the gold sewn into their jackets and had no hope of swimming.
where about was that mate

Danny13 said:
CreviceSucker said:
goldierocks said:

where about was that mate

Sorry I cant remember who told me that or which port.

Do you dive and have an underwater detector ?

goldierocks said:

Hi, just be told about 5 Chinese graves in at Enfield State Park from old park ranger theres no documentation about it. Going down next week to photo the area

Latest posts