Midnight pegging

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0m

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm a reporter at the ABC in Kalgoorlie and i'm really interested in the idea of prospectors pegging leases at midnight, with the potential sometimes to beat bigger mining companies. i'm trying to speak to people who have experience in midnight pegging or know someone who is as part of my research. is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

If you have any info on this, please email me at [email protected] :)

Moderator Edit.
I seen this and checked it out.
Allowable as he is legitimate.
And a great report in favor.
Tatradj

Hey Tom,
Steve Fisher here, the stunningly handsome bloke who you met at the Laverton camp oven cook off the other week and you interviewed me about camels.
Have done the midnight pegging a few times.will pop you an email.

Cheers!

madtuna said:
Hey Tom,
Steve Fisher here, the stunningly handsome bloke who you met at the Laverton camp oven cook off the other week and you interviewed me about camels.
Have done the midnight pegging a few times.will pop you an email.

Cheers!
Camels! Where you quick enough to catch a pretty one? :lol:

Track down Dane Sorensen from Dane Sorensen Exploration Services in Perth. He should still be around and ask him about midnight pegging of a couple of old GMLs that expired. They were at the time in the middle of the Paddington Gold Mine open cut. Caused some consternation not the least being they skipped out of a fancy dress party in Kal to do it dressed in costume.

Not sure if it still goes on as most of it was on GMLs

ps I was out the party.

Araluen

It still goes on....the one thing the entire mining and prospecting game revolves around is control of ground. It depends on the stage of the 'mining cycle'
though, for example, their is little to no ground available to peg at the moment as things are at the top of the cycle.....this means that demand for ground is at
an all time high and this means that any means possible to secure ground is being used. Yes, there is plenty of midnight peging going on, but this is not
really a way to 'beat' companies to the ground as they will simply employ pegging contractors to 'do the deed' for them. The more interesting methods of ground aquisition occur in the wardens court where plaint actions are being taken against tenement holders.

Friday avo in the Kal mines office seeing which leases fall over that weekend and ripe for a midnight peg. The tension at 11.58pm in the middle of nowhere is awesome. Done a few.

Gimp said:
Friday avo in the Kal mines office seeing which leases fall over that weekend and ripe for a midnight peg. The tension at 11.58pm in the middle of nowhere is awesome. Done a few.

So is there a crowd standing at the start line...or fisticuffs and the no2's peg whilst the fight goes on or like in the old days pull upw one set off pegs and peg another????

How large an area are these pegged claims? Is there any land you can freely detect anymore
or do you have to go 100kms out of K town?

MarcusAureas said:
How large an area are these pegged claims? Is there any land you can freely detect anymore
or do you have to go 100kms out of K town?

For us casual prospectors swinging a detector we don't need to worry about who's pegging what. We can just research exploration leases of which there are hundreds of square kilometers available. Submit a 40e application and away you go. There's no need to bother about mining leases as in most cases they cover a lot less ground an therefore limit our options and freedom on where to go. That's not to say that you can't sometimes get access to mining leases but with the 40e process in place there's no need.