Bombs and Bullets UXO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who has done prospection in Northern France and Western Russia (near some famous vacation spots such as the Somme, the Chemin des Dames, Kursk and Volgograd, ex-Stalingrad), UXO stories are super common. And then we see the cultural differences : in France, if you stumble upon explosives, don't tell because you're not supposed to do metal detection here, but if you stumble accross it in a "normal" way, then call the police and they'll send an EOD squad. (fun fact : my wife's grandfather was given several dozen kilograms of surplus military explosives after the Algerian War in the 60s and was told to deal with explosives himself and not to bother the cops ; unexploded WW1 shells were THAT common). In Russian, you can call the police, but there may be someone in your group who finds it fun to try and blow up the thing by themselves. I'm surprised that I'm not the only surviving prospector in this country!

1553158721_3.jpg

Philthy said:
I've Just got back from the big Sand Pit.

It's certainly an eye opener of the things that are laying around over there.

Welcome back Philthy, did you find any local treasures on your travels ?

yep...and what gets me is after blowing his finger off he kept digging as there were more signals in the hole