Pulse Induction On A Budget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Stayyer for the nice post. I think considering the cost of modding the detector is pretty much the same as what I paid for it I might hold off a bit and just wait and see how I go with it @ stock.
I'll order the new battery and speaker-amp today so hopefully by mid next week I will have it more setup to my liking and I can have a good play with it :)

From Woody's site.

1560561769_capture.jpg

kicksome said:
Well I just ordered a new battery pack from here:
https://detectormods.com/shop/63/lightweight-battery-kit

and im also looking at grabbing one of these:
https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=75
Which I can go pick up locally.

So I will be harness free and be pretty set after that :)

The main purpose of the harness is; Yes to carry the battery.. also a point to attach a bungee to take the weight of the detector off your arm,, it's going to get bloody heavy after 8 hours. I can also let go or drop the detector and it stays right there, doesn't hit the ground.
Just a thought.

Yeah I have thought about that, I guess I'll judge it by how I go on my first proper outing. See how heavy it gets and if my arm wants to fall off, if that's the case then a bungee might be worth some consideration for sure. I have this Wednesday off work so I plan on going out then and having a good swing

kicksome said:
Hi everyone i'm not sure if this is in the right section but im looking for a bit of guidance. I'm new to gold detecting and am quite enjoying it - I purchased a 2nd hand White's GMT goldmaster VLF machine for cheap just to make sure that I enjoy the hobby before making the big jump into a hefty priced PI machine. Now my predicament is; I'm finding the VLF very frustrating in the highly mineralized ground where I live (Bendigo VIC) It's very chatty and i'm finding it hard to distinguish between hot/cold rocks and actual targets. Most who I have talked to suggest going PI. So therefore I'm considering selling my GMT and buying a cheap PI unit. But with having 2 small kids and a mortgage and all that garbage I am on a rather tight budget. I wouldn't mind getting some more expert opinions on a good cheap PI machine that I could purchase. I would like something rather user friendly, and like I said, the more budget friendly the better :)
So far from my little bit of research, I've come across a few of these which seem to be in my price range. (2nd hand)

Whites TDI pro
Minelab sd 2000/2100 (No auto ground balance?)
Minelab GP Extreme

possibly QED if I could stretch it. But maybe not so user friendly?

If you had to pick one of these, which way would you go? All opinions welcome!
Thanks again

Get into some white pipeclay heaps, or quartz reef dumps (little to no iron) and you will find gold with the GMT.

Out of those PI's, the GP extreme with a selection of DD coils will make you very happy.

:pickshovel:

Just a quick question, would getting something like an 8" DD coil help with the sensitivity on the smaller stuff with the sd2000?

kicksome said:
Just a quick question, would getting something like an 8" DD coil help with the sensitivity on the smaller stuff with the sd2000?

Gday

Actually you can get an 8" dd coil that would run on Sd 2000 which of course would be better on small gold if you were comparing it with the standard 11" dd, also you can get an 8" mono coils as well, the mono would be more sensitive than the dd but more prone to ground noise and iffy responses, the mono's come in the earlier minelab supergoldsearch ones that you can only get second hand now, or the later minelab commander ones that you can get new, the 8" dd coil is a detech one, so it might pay you to contact Nenad about one if you are interested.

http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/detech-8-dd-closed-design-coil/

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks for the response I'll go do some reading on the coils you mentioned and then I'll hit up the likes of Gumtree and eBay to see how much I'm looking at for these.

kicksome said:
Hi everyone i'm not sure if this is in the right section but im looking for a bit of guidance. I'm new to gold detecting and am quite enjoying it - I purchased a 2nd hand White's GMT goldmaster VLF machine for cheap just to make sure that I enjoy the hobby before making the big jump into a hefty priced PI machine. Now my predicament is; I'm finding the VLF very frustrating in the highly mineralized ground where I live (Bendigo VIC) It's very chatty and i'm finding it hard to distinguish between hot/cold rocks and actual targets. Most who I have talked to suggest going PI. So therefore I'm considering selling my GMT and buying a cheap PI unit. But with having 2 small kids and a mortgage and all that garbage I am on a rather tight budget. I wouldn't mind getting some more expert opinions on a good cheap PI machine that I could purchase. I would like something rather user friendly, and like I said, the more budget friendly the better :)
So far from my little bit of research, I've come across a few of these which seem to be in my price range. (2nd hand)

Whites TDI pro
Minelab sd 2000/2100 (No auto ground balance?)
Minelab GP Extreme

possibly QED if I could stretch it. But maybe not so user friendly?

If you had to pick one of these, which way would you go? All opinions welcome!
Thanks again
I'd start with at least a sd2200. Much more stable then the 2000 and 2100.

kicksome said:
GaryO said:
well I ended up buying the sd2000, so lets hope that wasnt the wrong decision :)
Kicksome dont stress if you wave the 2000 over a bit of gold you will know.they are a good easy to use machine .Get out there and find out .Post and let us know how its all going.

lordo.1 said:
kicksome said:
GaryO said:
well I ended up buying the sd2000, so lets hope that wasnt the wrong decision :)
Kicksome dont stress if you wave the 2000 over a bit of gold you will know.they are a good easy to use machine .Get out there and find out .Post and let us know how its all going.
Thanks mate I will. I've only had one outing with it yet and I was going over some heavily flogged ground - mainly just practice to learn the machine. I'm keen as mustard to add to the show and tell thread :Y:
I whipped up a custom arm strap for it so it'll be a little bit more comfy and easier to handle next time I go out. So far it seems easy to use, just Ground balance and away I go, no targets first time out just some ground noises that had me digging to china :D

Kicksome Digging to china is ok when ya use 2000 Enjoy using your sd Remember if you need help there are a few members in your area that may help .But looks like by your posts that you have done research and your on track. Good luck

Ded Driver said:
one tip Kicksome, when you get a response & you're not sure if its ground noise, scrape the surface then come at it from 90degrees for a second pass
Yeah good call I usually do the old step to the side and try again from a different angle.
If you had your choice of coils to partner with the sd2000 - what would it be?

kicksome said:
Ded Driver said:
one tip Kicksome, when you get a response & you're not sure if its ground noise, scrape the surface then come at it from 90degrees for a second pass
Yeah good call I usually do the old step to the side and try again from a different angle.
If you had your choice of coils to partner with the sd2000 - what would it be?

Bit of tricky question Kicksome, so many variables. Coil/Ground/EMI/Settings/USER etc... but Im also not an expert.
Handy if you can go out with someone who has some coils that will let you try them out.
I have never used a 2000 (I have a 2100) but I believe its behaviour is a little different to the later models, & not as quiet (none of them are as quiet as a GPX can be)
If you can get hold of an old Minelab (std issue with SD's) green 18" mono in good working condition (the Kevlar version is good coz its lighter) they still work well on the SD's for depth.
One of my favourite coils on both my SD2100 & GPX4000 is the Coiltek 14x9" Goldstalker mono.
I also have a new NF 14x9" Evo (mono) but I haven't run that on the SD yet (good on the 4000 tho')
for a DD I like my Coiltek 17x11" Pro Gold Hunting, & the Minelab 11" mono & DD
Im currently waiting to get out & try a Detech 21x17" SEF DD I bought
There are others on here that are much more experienced with the SD's than me, so hopefully they might chime in with some advice.

Thanks for the reply mate, it sounds like coils is a whole other rabbit hole I can go down. I've seen those big 18" green coils that can come with the sd2000 before, I'll see if I can try and get my hands on one. Since this old sd2000 is known for having good depth a little bit extra won't hurt hey.
I'll read up on DD vs mono so I get a better understanding of them. Cheers

Latest posts