Bullet identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
I would have thought that a bullet that size would have tumbled through the air rather than fly straight but I have been known to be wrong.
Mackka
You are correct Mackka :Y:

Greenhornet_au said:
Not a lead wall plug, seen them, used them, found them.

I dont think it is a detonator because as I understand it, the lead would interact with the compound and be seriously sensitive to friction or pressure.
but it is still possible.

treasureman, did you clean the end out a little more ?

Treasureman, "if" you think that it is a detonator DO NOT stick anything in the end to clean it out. Detonator fillings (Lead-azide or lead-styphinate) are very sensitive and could detonate if touched.

I personally have not seen any detonators or blasting caps made of lead, normally alluminium.

Cheers

Doug

have seen some real old ones from copper looking to a very heavy tin type which looks a bit like lead even so I wouldn't be poking anything in to it or playing with it to much just in case still could do some real good damage

I definitely didn't clean the end out its as is when I found it. Kind of looks like there is not much to clean out like the other bullets ends. Its 100% lead I know that. I guess I wanted some identification because to me it looks like a bullet and was found where I find those 3 ringer bullets. Same area. But I have only found a few 3 ringers. But the aging on it looks the same if not older.

Or its just a highly coincidental shape and characteristics of a bullet just longer and thinner. I could understand not being a bullet if it was relatively recent lead item but the aging gives it away it would have to be in the same time as those 3 ringer or musket balls.

A bit of a long shot but Japanese Arisaka rounds

1560551834_ammo65mm.jpg

1560551834_blanks65.jpg

1560551834_blanks77.jpg

A reply I received from treasurenet:

'Welcome Treasureman, and interesting find! Is it jacketed? The Japanese Arisaka used a bullet that stuck way out of the cartridge case but I don't think I've ever seen the bullets. If it's pure lead without a jacket or a gas check it would likely be some version of a black powder projectile. during the age of black powder many arms in popular usage were made by individual private gunsmiths. They experimented with all kinds of ways to increase accuracy at longer ranges. Can you see any rifling marks under magnification? If not that would make it a drop or a bullet fired with a sabot. That of course would depend on the fact that it is a bullet. Many Confederate troops carried their own personal arms instead of issue. Especially the snipers. If you live near a major battlefield they often have displays of arms collected on the battlefield. Gettysburg has a great one. It's surprising that they include that wide a range of diversity.

I have also seen heavy gage lead wire in .250 diameter.

Good luck and best wishes!

its not a projectile been collecting bullets for 40 years and have never seen a projectile that long for the caliber the jap and early rounds were nickel not lead I would still say its a blasting cap with the crimp marks on one end and the fuse has been pulled out there is no rifling marks on it and the jap and other fire arms were very heavy rifling

I was thinking along the lines of a ferrule or spike end from an old walking stick. Given it is hollow, it may not be a projectile ,but i am no expert.
I tried to find a lead ferrule on google ,but nothing like this came up. Just a thought.

FOZ

just starting.....

Now there is a possible answer...

Being around so many musket lead balls, I wonder if it could be a bit from the end of a ramming rod or another type of tool ?
after breaking off it may have just been discarded ?

treasureman is confident it is lead

It is a great talking point, someone will pick it sooner or later, I will copy the image and post on a shooting forum also.

I think we need some well measured dimensions

Mass
Length
Diameter

:perfect:

I have been googling lead ferrules for vintage umbrellas , canes and walking sticks ,but none came up with that exact configuration.

Well made canes ,etc for the Establishment may have had lead for tips or ferrules instead of brass or tin. We`ll find out what this thing is for you sooner or later , Treasureman.

FOZ

If you really clean it up ,you may be able to see a maker`s mark or some form of ID . Does it have a lot of scratches or dents or marks on it ?

Hi treasureman,

On another forum it is being asked if it is "copper that is nickle plated"?

Need some good dimensions and weight please.

If you know the history of the area you found it, send me a PM and tell me.
I have no interest in your spot being in SA, but it may help identify your object.

hey guys thanks for you interest but maybe it isn't a bullet? I cannot find anything online that indicates something this thin. I do not have calipars so I cannot get precise measurements. But I will keep it just in case it is something rare and when I have the opportunity in the future.

Might be a projectile from a 6.5 x 52mm if so its come some way from Italy heres a cross section photo of a load

1562043685_5bac33f4-b9f9-4a78-8998-3fd7107f02a4.jpg

Latest posts