House of the rising sun

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the right way to clean the rising sun lapel badge i got yesterday ? It`s been in the ground for decades and soaking in vinegar overnight.
Some of it is cleaning up on the surface and edges by rubbing it with the vinegar , but i am being careful with it and can`t get anymore than this ,at this stage. Should i keep soaking it for awhile or do i need to do something else to try to bring it back to life ?

1560200157_cleansun.jpg

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.
FOZ

Nice find just starting. It's hard to get an idea of scale next to that box though. Is it a box of your Average D-heads, Big D-heads, Complete D-heads, or Absolute D-heads?

:cool:

just starting said:
What is the right way to clean the rising sun lapel badge i got yesterday ? It`s been in the ground for decades and soaking in vinegar overnight.
Some of it is cleaning up on the surface and edges by rubbing it with the vinegar , but i am being careful with it and can`t get anymore than this ,at this stage. Should i keep soaking it for awhile or do i need to do something else to try to bring it back to life ?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14279/1560200157_cleansun.jpg

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.
FOZ

Others will have suggestions...

I reckon it is probably damaged already from the soil, but I would be polishing the back with a toothbrush and toothpaste very gently.
Get some of the bad crud off and then use brasso and a toothbrush to polish to a shine if that is your end game.

My opinion is that vinegar is too harsh on brass or bronze.

If I am not worried about something brass or bronze,,, I will use my stainless steel tumbler to polish an item up, then clear lacquer or wax coat.

Deepseeker said:
Nice find just starting. It's hard to get an idea of scale next to that box though. Is it a box of your Average D-heads, Big D-heads, Complete D-heads, or Absolute D-heads?

:cool:

Just your average dickheads , like me, you funny bugger :eek:

Thanks ,Greenhornet-au

Brasso is just toothpaste in either liquid or paste form , i was told many years` ago. Don`t know how true that is. Or is it a more refined type of toothpaste ?

Gonna let it dry and leave it for the weekend. It might end up coming up as a rustic look with little brass to show for it. I can make out the detail in it ,tonight ,but by crickey ,it is small. Only 4 cm wide x 3 cm high.

Is this an army issue or a sovenir lapel / badge ?

Latest posts