You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

just starting
11 June 2019 07:56 am

What is the right way to clean the rising sun lapel badge i got yesterday ? It`s been in the ground for decades and soaking in vinegar overnight.
Some of it is cleaning up on the surface and edges by rubbing it with the vinegar , but i am being careful with it and can`t get anymore than this ,at this stage. Should i keep soaking it for awhile or do i need to do something else to try to bring it back to life ?

1560200157_cleansun.jpg

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.
FOZ

1 user likes this post: Billy

Deepseeker
11 June 2019 01:32 pm

Nice find just starting. It's hard to get an idea of scale next to that box though. Is it a box of your Average D-heads, Big D-heads, Complete D-heads, or Absolute D-heads?

cool

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

1 user likes this post: Billy

Wishfull
11 June 2019 01:46 pm

I've got a couple packets of Dick Smith matches. They got banned.

1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab SDC2300, Equanox 800, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

Greenhornet_au
11 June 2019 04:17 pm

just starting wrote:

What is the right way to clean the rising sun lapel badge i got yesterday ? It`s been in the ground for decades and soaking in vinegar overnight.
Some of it is cleaning up on the surface and edges by rubbing it with the vinegar , but i am being careful with it and can`t get anymore than this ,at this stage. Should i keep soaking it for awhile or do i need to do something else to try to bring it back to life ?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … eansun.jpg

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.
FOZ

Others will have suggestions...

I reckon it is probably damaged already from the soil, but I would be polishing the back with a toothbrush and toothpaste very gently.
Get some of the bad crud off and then use brasso and a toothbrush to polish to a shine if that is your end game.

My opinion is that vinegar is too harsh on brass or bronze.

If I am not worried about something brass or bronze,,, I will use my stainless steel tumbler to polish an item up, then clear lacquer or wax coat.

Still looking for Captain Feather-swords treasure chest !
Won't be long now - 3240+ holes and STILL counting. (bloody ring-pulls and tabs) LOL

1 user likes this post: silver

just starting
11 June 2019 07:40 pm

Deepseeker wrote:

Nice find just starting. It's hard to get an idea of scale next to that box though. Is it a box of your Average D-heads, Big D-heads, Complete D-heads, or Absolute D-heads?

cool

Just your average dickheads , like me, you funny bugger yikes

just starting
11 June 2019 07:42 pm

Wishfull wrote:

I've got a couple packets of Dick Smith matches. They got banned.

Why were they banned ? Did Dick Smith take offence ?

just starting
11 June 2019 08:17 pm

Thanks ,Greenhornet-au

Brasso is just toothpaste in either liquid or paste form , i was told many years` ago. Don`t know how true that is. Or is it a more refined type of toothpaste ?

Gonna let it dry and leave it for the weekend. It might end up coming up as a rustic look with little brass to show for it. I can make out the detail in it ,tonight ,but by crickey ,it is small. Only 4 cm wide x 3 cm high.

Is this an army issue or a sovenir lapel / badge ?

AussieChris
11 June 2019 08:25 pm

Nylon brush or old Oral B powerhead, baking soda or baking soda toothpaste is great.

I clean up Roman coins with them.

Give it a soak in distilled water for a couple of weeks, you will be shocked how much it can move.

If no real progress a soak in some olive oil.

"About 10 minutes into it everything changed, buckets were flying ... people were bleeding. Girls were unconscious."

3 users like this post: Ward69, Billy, RM Outback

just starting
11 June 2019 09:05 pm

Thanks, AussieChris.

I`ll do that.

thumbsup

Mackka
12 June 2019 08:06 am

Hey AussieChris why do you clean Roman coins?
Just curious
Mackka

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site