Any one using GemCad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any one using GemCad software? Or is it manly used for designing your own cuts? I see GemRay runs with it at a separate purchase cost, sounds good to able to check the light rays through the stone.

Have cut a few stones now, made plenty of mistakes! but got around them, had trouble pre polishing with scratches, all the usual stuff good now until next time haha.

Cheers Pro oz.

I've used Gemcad and Gemray quite a lot. They are good programs but a little tricky to work out.

There is a new program called GemCut Studio and it is much easier to use. It works more on a visual approach to positioning facets whereas Gemcad is operated best from a mathematical approach.

GemCut Studio is a new program and is still being developed so its important to report any bugs or complications to the creator. Gemcad hasn't had any new development for years.

Hope that helps

SneakyCuttlefish said:
I've used Gemcad and Gemray quite a lot. They are good programs but a little tricky to work out.

There is a new program called GemCut Studio and it is much easier to use. It works more on a visual approach to positioning facets whereas Gemcad is operated best from a mathematical approach.

GemCut Studio is a new program and is still being developed so its important to report any bugs or complications to the creator. Gemcad hasn't had any new development for years.

Hope that helps
Thanks SneakyCuttlefish, your not wrong about GemCad being a little tricky to work out! Yes have been trying GemCut Studio for the last few days, on a months free trial and finding it much easier, that's for me anyway not being brilliant at maths!

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. Couldn't get my head around GemCad, but that doesn't mean it's no good, it's been around for years. Then I came across GemCut studio. Not saying I have learnt it all, still a long way to go, just playing bit by bit every day. Still have 26 days to go in the trial.

Have been battling scratches on topaz as well, just when you think, got it worked out and bang! And had one come of the dop yesterday. Big big learning curve for me but loving it.

You will become Master Prooz once you can re-dop and finish the tossed stone as intended.

1560852495_3fb553b4-7694-447e-b162-26cd350f9cd1.jpg

...... or you can snatch the pebble from the hand........ game on!!!!

Just re-doped mine, it sat well in the relief pattern left by the busted glue, but I misjudged by 3/96 indexes as it is rotated to the right,

Lucky I can still count. :playful: :beer: :playful:

Latest posts