Conqueror 490

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin said:

Yeah redfin what a shitefight,ive been keepin up with it a bit,that nasser bloke runs that forum and the FB conqueror forum to i beleive,theres a new one called independent conqueror owners on FB,you can say what ya want on that one.
One of their dealers,west coast campers in wa were behind this a bit,apparently a bloke got a shock off one of there vans on the floor,i think theres one 240 volt wire not connected from the factory in SA and some have been left with the end not insulated and theres a chance it could short on the body or chassis.
I think west coast campers were putting in a bit of a bid for the distribution rights in amongst it all to,probably would be a good thing because ive never read so much negative feedback on a distributor or company representing a product in my whole life i reckon,nasser and his crew sound shonky,latest is most the staff just got sacked,maybe the writtings on the wall for conqueror australia.
I posted on FB if we needed any panels or parts id have a real problem even callin the ozzy mob due to there terrible feedback etc,nasser and one of his staff got on there and said dont judge a book by its cover etc when youve never dealt with us,i didnt carry on with it but if im gonna hand $$$ over to some company i will judge you by ya feedback,then the next post was by some bloke that had handed over 3k for awning walls or something and had got the runaround for 6 months plus,what a circus,i hope south africa give this mob the flick and get some descent people behind the brand in oz.
Gotta feel for some people that have spent say 90k on a platinum and have to deal with problems like dodgy wiring,i can do a bit myself so im ok but for the $$$ for a new unit it should be sorted,simple as,there a good unit build wise i reckon but not perfect,itll be interesting to see what happens with the local distributorship in the next few months.....

Redfin said:
Ta for that, are they all affected, or just the latest models?

I think its like from 14-15 models onwards,490s and maybe some 440s with the black control panels,dont quote me but along them lines,its only one stray wire apparently but its 240v so its a safety issue.
What are you lookin at,490-440,used or new?

PS: yeah and the rcbs from SA really wernt approved for aust so i think there replacing them also even though the electrical dept checked them and said there ok,rcb or rcd or whatever there called,i put a new one in ours,just so im sure its compliant.....

Still tossing up between a 490 and a Tvan.
Then there is the Complete Campsite Exodus 14 and the AOR Quantum.
Making my head hurt LOL.
And then there is a new tug,
I think I need a drink.

havent taken much notice of the t-vans but the complete campsites look awsome,the aors we looked at a bit to but if i remember correctly they were bloody pricey,well one of them 2 the price was over the 100k mark im sure,geez new tug also,it is fun shoppin about,alot of choices out there,like a fat kid in a candy shop...... :)

1557265796_e54c0916-20aa-4755-95fc-38ac8fb0803e.jpg

1557265796_583365a5-f22e-4686-b0f3-d855785d25a7.jpg

1557265796_5b28fa03-9f48-4bed-9735-f249efe664d8.jpg

Got the unit pretty well buttoned up now,had to make new lower shock mounts for these big konis but i think ya need good shocks on a single axle van thats probably 17-1900 loaded up,especially with a independent coil setup,changed the straps to,we have 6 extra downward travel now.
Both lithium packs i made a small ply box for,not real keen on them moving about at all,the boss made up canvas covers for the lounge seats that can be used as a double bed,no pic but geez she did a top job,hooked up a joolca we bought yesty and plumbing works and we have instant hot water,well shower out of a bucket off the fire on longer trips though,think wed just use to much with the gas unit.
We took it out last week for one night and all seems ok,bit more tinkering here an there but ready to roll,the awning poles are one piece and near 8ft,bloody ridiculous,adjustable alluminiuns have replaced them all.
Ran all the lights we wanted and fridge etc overnight and the batteries were reading 92% the next morning,theres just two new 130 panels on the roof,when the sun got to them it must of only been about 2hrs and they were at 100%,they charge so quick it just looks like we have power to burn at the moment,its wired to take our 120 fold outs also but i dont think well even need them,pretty stoked with how its all come togethor,off today for 4 days in the hills......

1557275216_a0a5b40c-2db0-4590-b313-fbcb5a182cb8.jpg

cheers redfin,yeah the power system is lookin good at the moment but im keen to see how these batteries are goin in a few years,there balanced b4 they ship them and we havent set them up to balance charge in the van,ev works say its not an issue as long as there balanced b4 going into service,if need be ya could remove the straps and give them a seperate charge once a year if ya feel inclined.pic above first night out in it,alot of canvas if ya want to set it all up,weve thrown alot in the shed,we just wont use it,full walls etc for awnings both sides.....

ps: look at that sky,wa at its best!!! :D

Had to fork out for a new fridge also,our waco 80 was just to wide for the slide,was gonna make a frame so it sits above but then the frame might have clearance issues on the support railes inside so got a evakool 89 ltr,dualzone,wanted to put an engel 80 in but the plugs are on the front of them now,just wouldnt work.
Fridge was factory direct,$999 plus $130 freight,they had 3 left,there discontinuing this big one,cheap but made in china for them,they said made overseas,have one of there old plastic fridges that must be 15-16 yrs old now now and runs like a champ,bit iffy on this one,they told me has a danfoss compressor so time will tell,lotsa room,like the 2 doors and not opening the freezer door to get to your other stuff.
Few little tweaks on camper but seems sorted now,did 4 nights in it last week,quite happy,boss is over the moon,loves her new little bush home.....
1557994090_3dab9393-5e22-4b8c-b781-b5dfed8d4f1f.jpg

1557994090_b8b0dd95-89c2-408b-8dbd-f8bbf61df62e.jpg

Hi goldchaser1, i have got a 65L glacier series,had it about two years,no problems with it, had the :poop: bounced out of it on bush tracks, still works a treat on fridge or freezer :beer:

sand surfer said:
Hi goldchaser1, i have got a 65L glacier series,had it about two years,no problems with it, had the :poop: bounced out of it on bush tracks, still works a treat on fridge or freezer :beer:

Good news,thanks sandsurfer,since there discontinuing this big one i asked about parts in the future,they said no probs,looks to me like alot would interchange with the smaller ones anyway,control panel etc looks the same......

Redfin said:
Very impressive power bank GC, looking good now.

had a bit of dust coming in around the second battery bank,had to pull the batt covers off to make the job easier,just a seam never sealed properly from the factory,no biggy....
then noticed the circuit breaker for that second bank was never flicked on,yeah lol,we have a bit more power now..... :argh:

Great camper goldchaser. How are you finding the joolca? I have one my self and it's brilliant except in very windy conditions I have found that it needs to be really sheltered well as it blows out.

shakergt said:
Great camper goldchaser. How are you finding the joolca? I have one my self and it's brilliant except in very windy conditions I have found that it needs to be really sheltered well as it blows out.
Cheers shaker,yeah its not to upmarket inside,no white gloss interior etc which we prefer,fairly basic but practicle really,not to big and could allmost go anywhere,keeping the rust out of a few panels looks like the main concerns long term.
The joolca worked well few times weve used it,wasnt windy though,i read a few reviews stating what your saying,put the flow on low and flame up near full and it worked pretty good,off to the pilbara for 6 weeks soon so itll be back to the bucket on the fire and the little 12 volt shower though,wed use to much water with the joolca,want to try and get 2 weeks out of our tanks.Rest of the year we can use it,4-5 day trips we have water to burn.....

It looks a good setup. Just curious, how long does it take you to set up once you pull up for night. Just wondering as if you pull up and then pack up next morning to keep moving what time involved.
The makers may have to chat to you to improve there setup as you have done a lot of changes since you purchased the unit.
But I suppose, horses for courses too. Enjoy your camp out.

travelergold said:
It looks a good setup. Just curious, how long does it take you to set up once you pull up for night. Just wondering as if you pull up and then pack up next morning to keep moving what time involved.
The makers may have to chat to you to improve there setup as you have done a lot of changes since you purchased the unit.
But I suppose, horses for courses too. Enjoy your camp out.

Hey wally,on the road well set the lounge area up as a double bed,so stop and open door up more or less,dont even need to open the roof,the front fold out bed is only 2 latches and a cuppla spring steel poles then the fly if ya need it but access to that is through the roof window,so roof up,and the front bed mattresses cant stay on the bed when its up also,see a pic of where our front bed mattresses are stored and a couple of the lounge area converted to the bed i got off the net,not up tibooburra yet mate?
1560044722_d0af0f3d-6fdf-4607-b087-b1aa9339143e.jpg

1560044723_8cd2e894-d780-40ab-8146-5fe107df2a54.jpg

1560044723_2d376827-5fef-46a7-9ab1-001eac4dc375.jpg

Just made some diy rocktamers up to try an control the sandblasting on the camper,they remove in about 10 seconds,made a bracket for the towbar and had some rhs here,flaps are on 20mm rhs,slides into 25mm on the mount,2 pins hold em in place,cheaper then the $300 rocktamers but i might redo them over summer,i think i can get another flap to the inside for a bit more protection,ill see how these go.....
had all the materials here,besides the pins,cost bugger all.....
1560670380_d05e97fc-14f9-4360-8967-1e5f2a8e9ab6.jpg