Detech DD 15 ultimate thoughts / settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be interested to know how you go with that, have been considering one, but this time of the year is the worst for ongoing expenses that just seem to appear and are always bigger than previous years. From what I was able to see on utube that is was not a great deal difference running a normal DD, hopefully someone will be able to give an answer that helps us both.

Graham

LOL, that's funny Booney. I just bought one too on Thursday and hoping it will be delivered in time for next weekend for a trip to the GT. I was about to get myself a 15" Evo but came across some posts where people had had trouble with them on wet mineralized GT ground, so I thought I'd go the 15" DD Ultimate for winter and then spring for the Evo later in the year when it starts to dry out again.

I'll be running mine on the 5000 and have also wondered if I'd be able to run it in normal. I like the Detech coils with their pop on/off coil covers that don't need any coil tape. I've currently got their 21x17 SEF that usually runs in Normal in the GT, and even with its large size it still finds me .22 lead bullet heads.

"Snap" Deepseeker , will be interesting to compare notes after the long weekend. I'll be giving it a run at wedderburn ,not been there before but I believe it's hot ground , should be good for testing. Still not sure about settings for normal other than dropping the rx a little just have to see what happens. Cheers Booney :party:

I had one on my 4500 and I didnt like it. It's really heavy and found it hard to read the response compared with the monos I normally run. No doubt if you leave it on for a while you will get your ear in tune.
I try and run my monos in sens extra and find them much easier to tell ground noise from a real signal, I found this hard with the DD.
Being able to run in cancel is helpful and it really does have a good response to small targets for a big DD but I think this is also an issue. It's super sensitive, so it's also super sensitive to the ground and I gave it a go at dunolly and had no chance of running in normal or sens extra. I buried a .22 bullet and my 11" mono running in enhance picked it up better and the DD felt over saturated in normal and struggled.

No doubt there would be places and situations where it will run better than similar sized mono but I couldn't find enough reason to keep it and sold it then bought 14" elite and haven't looked back.

Thanks for your feedback Jarrod it all helps in trying to figure out how to use these new DDs . Im expecting it to be a heavy coil Im ok with that , I swing the 14 elite all day without a bungie anyway , can always add one. Im interested in what settings you tryed as Im sure the right combination of settings will be key to getting the best out of this coil , not expecting it to become my go to coil as is my 14 elite but hoping it will be another handy option in different situations and types of ground . Cheers Booney.

Yep, I'm expecting it to be heavy too. But then my 21x17 SEF is over 1.2Kg, and along with my 20" NF mono I use a Hipstick and guide arm for both of them without a problem. I only get out one day at a time so the weight isn't much of an issue. I could see though if you were going to use it day after day then it may be a problem for some. I always feel like I need a good recovery period between outings myself, probably also because digging deep holes also takes it out of you.

Settings will obviously depend on the ground but basically you want to be running it in sens extra or normal timings, dropping back to enhance you'd have more performance with the mono.
I'd aim for Sens extra timing, you wont miss the small bits this way.
Since you're running in these timings dont stress about getting the gain too high, gain on 1 in normal out punches enhance going flat out so just get it running smooth and try and learn ground noise from a real target, this is where I fell short.

If I did most of my detecting right up in the GT I probably would have persisted but it's not really needed south of ballarat.

Good luck.

Hi Jarrod,

What I don't understand is that when I look at Minelabs timings chart

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...lab-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts/

It shows Sens extra as up there with the deep settings, and yet the little visual above which gives indication of depth and size of target/s actually shows it not going as deep as Normal, or as deep as Fine Gold. Would sens extra then mean you will miss deep larger targets??

I'm wondering also about settings Booney as I've just received my 15" Ultimate in the mail today and I want to get on the right track before this weekend :D

Those minelab graphs are a good general idea but you'll learn a lot more with trial in the field. And that doesnt mean hours and hours and huge holes, just get the biggest bit of lead you've found plus a few of other sizes, .22 bullet, big shotgun pellet etc and bury them then switch between the timings and that's the best way to learn.
I have a 4500 so no fine gold but my understanding is it like an improved enhanced timing and shouldnt go deeper than Sens extra, unless the ground is too noisy for sens extra, but that would be talking about mono coils id guess, this should be the advantage of the dd, allowing you to run deeper timings than fine gold without the extra noise.
All my testing has found that sens extra is a very deep timing but its advantage on sub gram gold is huge over normal timing. Sens extra does sound off a lot louder on hot rocks though.
Normal might still go deeper but it gives a lot more ground noise and loses out on the smaller stuff you're more likely to find along the way.

It's all trial and error but I'd really go with sens extra and the rest like gain and stab is up to the conditions on the day.

Hello, I would like your help regarding the build quality of a Detech 15 ultimate spiral dd coil ... Do you think it is a coil equal to nf and coiltek in terms of build quality?

I like the Detech coils Kostas13. I have owned a 15 Ultimate spiral DD, but eventually sold it as it was too sensitive for my liking. I have zero interest in pinging sub-grammers and lead shot, and would much rather come home empty handed.

I just sold my 21"x17" Detech SEF coil which was a great stable coil that punched deep, and what I especially liked about it was the fact that it's fully waterproof with a snap on/off form fitting skid plate that doesn't need any coil tape. You come home from a day detecting, snap the skid plate off and just hose everything down.

I have just purchased a Detech 80cm Concentric coil from Stinky Pete, which is still being manufactured and won't be in Australia for a few more weeks, but it's testimony to the fact that I'm happy to fork out the bucks for their coils.

I've never owned a Coiltek coil so I can't comment on them, but I do own two Nugget finder coils- a 20" Mono Advantage, and a 25" DDX. I've found musket balls fairly deep at Kingower with the Advantage, but no gold. I found a 1.5 Grammer with the 25" which I was happy to find even though it's not what I'd intentionally gear up for to seek out, but the upside is once I started using the 25" it became rare to find .22 lead, having only occasionally found one close to the surface, and never have I been troubled with lead shot since. :perfect:

Thank you so much for the reply. I have the gpx 5000 with its coils, minelab 11dd 12x15 monopol and I am looking for coins and heirlooms ..., I recently bought a nagget 25 monopoly for deep large objects and I feel like I miss a good coil that uses discrimination and can go deep ...

If you want to use discrimination and still punch deep, the Detech 15" DD Ultimate is perfect. Because it is very sensitive for its size, you can discriminate iron to a better depth.

Latest posts