WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Does anyone here have any idea how it might be possible to raise the pitch of the tone in the GMT??? I've tried contacting Reg but not heard from him. Haven't seen a post from him in a while so don't know if he's still participating in this forum. Contacted Dean at Goldsearch. He doesn't think there's a pot to adjust. Anyone got another idea how this could be done?????????? Regards..... Ronnie.

Hi Ronnie,

I don't have any of the technical info on the GMT, so I don't know if there is a way of changing tone.

Reg

Thanks Reg. Goldsearch reckons there are 3 pots but none of them is tone. I just wondered if there could be another trick to achieve it. Regards... Ronnie.

GMT Bandit said:
I've been out with my GMT about 5 or 6 times now. I've found everything but Gold. After reading this forum I tweaked my setting so I'm really confident if I'm over gold I'll get. Thanks for the tips guys!!!!

Hi GMT Bandit - Looking to get started and noted this thread. A little dated but wondering if you persevered with the GMT and how you find it. It looks like a reasonable entry level despite taking a while to tune and get used to. Anyway if you're still on the site or if others could let me know that would be a great help.

Pig Iron said:
GMT Bandit said:
I've been out with my GMT about 5 or 6 times now. I've found everything but Gold. After reading this forum I tweaked my setting so I'm really confident if I'm over gold I'll get. Thanks for the tips guys!!!!

Hi GMT Bandit - Looking to get started and noted this thread. A little dated but wondering if you persevered with the GMT and how you find it. It looks like a reasonable entry level despite taking a while to tune and get used to. Anyway if you're still on the site or if others could let me know that would be a great help.

It is not an entry level machine, It is the top of the line machine for fine Gold, It has served people well over the years, There are newer higher frequency machines that have come out since but it GMT can still hang with them all, Since this thread was started 2 new machines have hit the market which is good but they all find Gold and every other thing in the ground too, The birth of better PI machines has had an impact on such machines but these Hot LF machines can still find the Gold and will for a long time yet.

Kindly help me,I have a GMT gold master... I set everything according to the manual and I try testing it inside my house..but it keep given the same sound..I place a metal and also a gold om the ground...it gives the same sound and I couldn't differentiate between the gold and the ordinary metal..the device keep given same sound everywhere

Lawal said:
Kindly help me,I have a GMT gold master... I set everything according to the manual and I try testing it inside my house..but it keep given the same sound..I place a metal and also a gold om the ground...it gives the same sound and I couldn't differentiate between the gold and the ordinary metal..the device keep given same sound everywhere

That's what it does, If you push the trigger forward it will make a sound like a Goose farting in the Fog when it goes over Iron.

John.

I thought it was called goldmaster for a reason...it should be able to differentiate between a gold and ordinary metal..I thought the sound of a gold should be diffrent from ordinary metal?? Can someone put me through

Lawal said:
I thought it was called goldmaster for a reason...it should be able to differentiate between a gold and ordinary metal..I thought the sound of a gold should be diffrent from ordinary metal?? Can someone put me through

There is No such thing as a Gold Only machine, Gold Is metal and that is what it see's put a Nail on the Ground and a Gold Ring then push the trigger forward and then listen to the Machine and read the Iron Probability meter and Dig all targets that read below about 85%, Ok.

John.

You will have a hard time if you think any detector will tell you indefinitely what is gold vs junk. Its a metal detector learn the manual read it thrice dig every target its a great gold detector enjoy.

Lawal said:
Thanks John.. Really appreciate

No worries mate, Even the most expensive machines see metal and not Gold, The skill comes to those who learn their machine well, You have a Machine that is meant to find Gold and it surely will find large and small Gold but it will also find other metals and then that is where the skill of the user comes in to play, Don't give up, Practice different setting and sweeping the coil over different metals and you will hear soft sounds and sharp sounds along with broken sounds and some spongy sounds caused by hot rocks etc and with the Trigger forward you will hear the Goose sound or like a Pig Grunting and that is Iron based metals that you do not want to dig, But if it makes that sound and the Iron meter is reading in the low 70's/very low 80s and below you might want to dig it just to be sure because Gold that is Iron stained can make the Iron Grunt sound, that's where the practice comes in, You have a good machine there so stick at it, Ok.

Good luck,

John.

I managed to get one of these 2nd hand for $300 AUS to start my prospecting journey. Never had any experience with detectors before, and I've only been out 3 times so far and only found nothing but junk. Still trying to get my head around getting it to work properly. Living in bendigo VIC i'm not short on having placess close by to go and have a hunt.
I bought it because it seems to get very good reviews and it a nice beginners VLF machine. Lets hope I can have some luck with it :Y:

kicksome said:
I managed to get one of these 2nd hand for $300 AUS to start my prospecting journey. Never had any experience with detectors before, and I've only been out 3 times so far and only found nothing but junk. Still trying to get my head around getting it to work properly. Living in bendigo VIC i'm not short on having placess close by to go and have a hunt.
I bought it because it seems to get very good reviews and it a nice beginners VLF machine. Lets hope I can have some luck with it :Y:

It is indeed an excellent starter machine at that price and you will learn a lot from mastering it. Work very slowly and keep the coil on (or as close as possible to) the ground. Seek out areas of old shallow diggings and work in or close by them, keeping a watchful eye out for rocks, bushes and fallen branches that may have impeded others, but could be sheltering undetected nuggets. If you're finding tiny targets (shotgun pellets especially), you're doing it right.

Best of luck. :Y:

grubstake said:
kicksome said:

It is indeed an excellent starter machine at that price and you will learn a lot from mastering it. Work very slowly and keep the coil on (or as close as possible to) the ground. Seek out areas of old shallow diggings and work in or close by them, keeping a watchful eye out for rocks, bushes and fallen branches that may have impeded others, but could be sheltering undetected nuggets. If you're finding tiny targets (shotgun pellets especially), you're doing it right.

Best of luck. :Y:

thanks mate a bit of luck would be handy. Mainly only finding surface junk at the moment and also chasing my tail on hot rocks and false signals haha. Im digging everything just to make sure and also just to learn noises and what not. The guy I bought this off said if you really get into it this machine wont be the last one i buy. I hope to buy a cheapish 2nd hand pulse induction one day in the future, but i plan on funding it from gold found with the GMT ;)

I've got the GMT as well and while I haven't found any nuggets (not a lot of detectable sized gold around where I live) I have found enough shotgun pellets/lead which has a very similar sound to gold to know that it'd definitely work just as well in finding the gold nuggies if you're in the right area. Trick is training your ears to distinguish from genuine targets and hot/cold rocks... and best practice I could recommend is carrying a few bits and pieces of lead/metal bits (of varying sizes) and put them in various types of ground/soil (preferably where gold has been found) and get accustomed to the signals they give off at different depths/sizes.

Typically though, a good signal will have a quick/crisp zip zip sound whereas hot/cold rocks will be more of a drawn out and inconsistent "howl", for lack of a better word.

As for settings, you'll need to do a lot of experimenting yourself in the various areas you go to, but I think most will agree that you shouldn't use the auto-track feature (keep it on manual) and do the ground balancing on a regular bases yourself, and also the recommended gain setting (marked) is probably a bit too high for most Aussie soil... I think perhaps a setting of 5 is more suited most of the time... but I'd recommend reading up on others recommendations as much as possible to get a much better starting point -- been awhile since I've used mine.

Also headphones is a must in my opinion... most the gold you'll be finding with this thing is likely to be very small and for the most part you're only going hear very quiet/subtle change in pitch -- so you'll need every advantage in hearing as you can get.

Good luck! :Y:

Just curious has anyone here had much success with the GMT in the bendigo VIC area with gold finding?

I hope so, I've got one too that I need to get over some gold at some point. It finds shotgun pellets no problems in central Vic soil so gold should be easy. Just haven't spent much time over gold yet, coins and relics are too much fun for the minute!

I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this machine out. I'm only new and have been out only half a dozen times but im starting to get a bit frustrated and disheartenedwith it all.
I got gifted a little piece of gold (roughly the size of a match head) that i keep in a little container that i use for reference every now and then but my GMT doesnt pick it up half as much as I thought it might . So with how much noise this detector makes I cant decipher what is just pure ground noise and what is a potential target. It's like 100 mosquitoes are buzzing around my head and trying to listen to the right one.
I'm going to persist with it but my word its starting to get to me, I dont think ive even found a target that has been in the ground yet, just surface junk. I feel like half chucking it in and going to buy a Pulse induction machine.
any tips would be awesome, cheers

Latest posts