Dream mat mini and large cells

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im a firm beleiver in mixing up traps in any banker or sluice.
If your a firm beleiver in say the dream mat.....
I would love to see the dream mat offered in the larger cells for the top half/50% and the mini cells in the lower half.
Perhaps this combo might help catch the flour we think we are a missing out on.
Lets face it, anyone who has run bankers and sluices for a while knows the bulk is caught in the very top region.
But that is so under the given set up!
I would be far more inclined to buy a combo cell mat....
Your thoughts.....

I always run a fluid bed first in an sluice or banker i have made. Pretty confident it's the best primary( except for a V mat in a flare)
I run the larger cell version after it. But would be keen to run both.

If you set up dream mat properly, it's fantastic.

Not enough water and it's crap.

It needs way more water than normal riffles/carpet to operate.

The ultimate dream, would be dream mat that operated with half the water flow.

The cells work perfectly fine at catching powder fine gold, but it needs MORE, NOT LESS water to work properly.

Yes, powder fine gold will be caught in a strong water flow with these cells, they like a strong flow.

just to follow up on this, I didn't mention if I can't lug the BIG pump that is required for the (small) 10 inch dream matt, I just use the small pump and use the old style cross riffles and carpet.

Some will cringe at this concept, but quite simply, cross riffles work far better if you can't provide enough water.

Total bastard to clean up, but they work with far less water.

Just like superannuation, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Different tool for a different application, one isn't better than another, but they have distinct advantages in different areas.

I think far too many people default to dream matt, thinking it will work perfectly, when in fact they should be using the old style riffles for their set ups.

Far too many people don't run enough water through this type of matt, and they would actually be collecting more with the old antique methods.

To me the cells in the Dream mat are basically small riffles.

Eventually ill make an extension for my Dream mat sluice using the likes of miners moss and see if it catches anything beyond the Dream mat.

I would like to just have a combo mat. Bit of large cells, it of "v" and a bit of smaller cells etc.

Latest posts