Minelab Gold Monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maccatuna said:
Hi dignit.....
Ground mineralization changes from meter to meter....its hard to pinpoint settings to suit certain locations....even temperatures and moisture content of the ground can result in different settings u use....
Listen and learn your machine to determine settings for the conditions you are faced with...
Also...depth, gold type and size will determine settings
Agreed maccatuna
I got the impression you run yours the same way every time in FNQ, manual 10 deep/all metal

Derka said:
Do any of you guys rake an area before swinging the GM? Just wondering how much a layer of leaves impacts the GMs abilities.

How long have you had the Monster for Derka?.
If you like mate send me a message and Ill help you out as much as I can with it.

Jaros said:
You need to keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. Simples'

Yep. I do. But when it bumps and gives off signals because of that it gets a little frustrating.

dirtdiggin said:
Derka said:
Do any of you guys rake an area before swinging the GM? Just wondering how much a layer of leaves impacts the GMs abilities.

How long have you had the Monster for Derka?.
If you like mate send me a message and Ill help you out as much as I can with it.

Thanks mate. Maccatunas offered a few tips which have worked well. Ive found 3 pieces in manual and one in auto. I do find manual very distracting over the hot ground I cover.

Run some tests with targets .... deep, shallow, big and small.in any type of ground even under water... take your time on each target and listen ...with and without ground balancing and let me know what you find out...I never ground balance this machine .....

Run some tests with targets .... deep, shallow, big and small.in any type of ground even under water... take your time on each target and listen ...with and without ground balancing and let me know what you find out...I never ground balance this machine .....

maccatuna said:

Never ground balance :8 it would drive me insane I'm thinking. Are you using speakers (if so 1 or 2) or headphones again if so what brand :/

Maccatuna
What general region do you detect? From your newbie post youre in Qld. What general area of Qld? Im just curious from a level of mineralization perspective.
Ive only ever detected around Clermont and Forsayth and found it a lot less mineralised than the Vic GT, and just wondering whether you dont need to ground balance and run in manual 10 all metal because the ground isnt as severe as us southerners.
Cheers

Derka said:
Jaros said:
You need to keep the coil as close to the ground as possible. Simples'

Yep. I do. But when it bumps and gives off signals because of that it gets a little frustrating.

If giving off signal whenever it hits the ground or something I would be questioning if the coil is faulty. I have never used or even seen a monster, but with other machines and coils that is sometimes the case.

Where I detect would require me to stop and traditionally ground balance every meter...as my old Vlf machine required....this was time consuming and annoying...with this vlf I find its not needed ...yes I can hear clearly when the machine is telling me there is a change in the grounds consistency...
Try this next time I find u feel the need to ground balance your machine....continue to swing as you were but stay swinging in the same spot as you heard the balance change...give it a couple of seconds and listen to the change in tone as your machine adjusts to the change in ground conditions.....then continue on..
As I said in the very first post here....listen and learn your machine.....

maccatuna said:
Where I detect would require me to stop and traditionally ground balance every meter...as my old Vlf machine required....this was time consuming and annoying...with this vlf I find its not needed ...yes I can hear clearly when the machine is telling me there is a change in the grounds consistency...
Try this next time I find u feel the need to ground balance your machine....continue to swing as you were but stay swinging in the same spot as you heard the balance change...give it a couple of seconds and listen to the change in tone as your machine adjusts to the change in ground conditions.....then continue on..
As I said in the very first post here....listen and learn your machine.....

Thanks, this is what I was wondering. So if I keep swinging, it will go back to a sound that is ground noise and not a target.

every area is different, & every person develops their own technique that works for them in the areas they detect.
I ground balance the Monster regularly or occasionally as required by conditions, by simply incorporating a few moving pumps as Im moving along. Doesn't really take much time out of actual detecting .... but each to their own
That being said, the Monster doesn't really like high mineralisation, but its still a very good light unit to use.
Im hoping Minelab or Coiltek produce a slightly bigger coil suitable for relic hunting. Its quiet a capable machine but let down by coil size for large open areas.

does alright in high mineralisation if you break the ground up a bit first. a cultivator a rake and a bit of hot ground got me seven pieces this morning