Cairns research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family used to own a gold mine up the top of mount peter but it was closed and classed as heritage listed. Ak Barnes and sons. It still says it one the old gold stamp up there.

Most libraries have got the gold and ghost book qld edition great guide for were to start they don't let u borrow it but u can sit in there and read it

Is the miners den group or any group still getting together every month?
Thanks for the reading, been interesting.

TenOunce Tone said:
The area down Goldsborough way is pretty gnarlly, the areas where the gold was found back in the late 1800's and early 20th century are way back into the valley, they are all on private property from what I can gather from Google and IRTM. I went down there this time last year and found nothing. not even flood gold in the sand banks..

These fields were not overly productive as the majority of the field is capped in at least 20m of Basalt from the surrounding mountains and volcanic activity back in the day.

Better rewards are found other places.. As Kane says, we need to get together again..

Cheers, Tone

Back when the gate was always unlocked you could go through Trevors cane farm to the old gold mine at the base of the hills and the track that led up to the top camp. The base of the hill was covered in old mine shafts and broken quartz from them.
Panned the creek which was shallow and covered by trees and got enough to make me want to go back but the gate was locked when I tried.
Rang the farmer and was told the Goldfields were closed and to piss off.
Also the original "Gordonvale" settlement is within the cane farm boundary .

Hi, my name is Arthur and I have prospected around the tablelands and found REEF GOLD!!! near Petford at a private tin mine also got a bucket of materials from a sluice in the tin mine and it contains LOTS OF GOLD!!! so far 2gms.

Ive been hearing reports of salties up the mulgrave too, seems strange to me as they are ambush predators and the mulgrave is so clear you can watch the jungle perch swimming around from a few metres away. You usually only see the occasional freshie up there which will leave you alone unless youre near their nest.

Theyd have a mighty long way to travel too, at least 20ks or so over sandbanks and causeways past numerous swimming holes to get to the upper mulgrave.

Im just saying it seems unlikely that a salty would make a journey like that unless it was forced out of its turf by rivals or because of lack of food.
Definitely salties up the top of the Mulgrave... I live in Goldsborough and have seen plenty... 2.5m and one a bit smaller up near the top bridge.. just last week..you won't freshwater crocs this close to sea level

Definitely salties up the top of the Mulgrave... I live in Goldsborough and have seen plenty... 2.5m and one a bit smaller up near the top bridge.. just last week..you won't freshwater crocs this close to sea level
Screenshot_20230818-191554.png

Just up from Fisheries crossing

Last edited by a moderator: