Bottle labelling

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea on when labels were attached to small bottles in Australia, please ?

I came across what looks like an old ointment bottle today that looks like it had a label on it ,rather than any ID or name printed in the glass.

I just want to get an idea if it is only a few years` old or decades old . I tried to google the history of bottle labels ,but had no luck.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

FOZ

That is an interesting thing.

Pharmacy is heading back to 'compounding' as a modern concept - making a product of medication for an individual.

Basically about 30-35 years ago the Govt put the heavies on the industry to have things approved and compliant to standards,
so many Pharmacies just stopped making their own cough medicine, creams and other things.

Some of these things contain some really ugly chemicals and very toxic, hormones and carcinogenic items.
Pharmacists would even be mixing on the front counter.

We have seen numbers of Pharmacists pass away with cancer over the years, to me I wonder if the old days of preparation were
responsible for their demise.

The NEW is significantly more controlled with labs and compounds being tested for quality, hormone level testing in staff involved,
all that new OHS Standards stuff, so it is safer for the Staff and Patient.

Anyway the old days did have labels which were hand written or typed.

1990's labels were printed by early business pc's

1960's hand written and typed

pre 60's hand written

The distinguishing thing would be if the writing was done with quill and ink,or in fact a printed label for an off the shelf product.

Off the shelf products would have had a some what older style of FONT. but yes even old bottles had labels stuck to the front.

Can you put up a picture of it ?
That would help to identify the bottles age and one of the label if possible please.

:)

This was the first thing that poped up on Google
1558917001_screenshot_20190527-103101_google-1024x583.jpg

Thanks for all that Greenhornet_au , Jaros and Smoky Bandit.

I couldn`t put the pics up yesterday because i had all the finds soaking in vinegar.

Got it all done tonight ,so here they are ;

The first 5 pics are of the bottle in question ,using my standard packet of matches as a gauge.

1558951569_b1.jpg

1558951614_b2.jpg

1558951633_b3.jpg

1558951658_b4.jpg

1558951674_b5.jpg

The next 3 are of what i think is a medicine bottle .

1558951749_bb1.jpg

1558951774_bb2.jpg

1558951790_bb3.jpg

The next pic is what is left of my haul for the day. I worked for 5 minutes to locate and extract that .22 projectile ,down about 8 inches.

1558951935_collection.jpg

The last pic shows you how my day started. I bought a cheap scoop,attached 2 clips to it for easy access when attached to my belt and this is what happened when i went to use it for the first time. Searched for it for ages ,but the bush all looks the same and i didn`t find it. Got a better one for myself , today.

1558952239_img_2456.jpg

Yeah... screwtops are modern.
On that note though... no one hss been saving screwtops because they are modern, so they've sll been recycalated thoroughly, so you could be onto s good thimg. :argh:

Thanks, Xcvator and Silver.

The ointment or perfume bottle or whatever it is looks quite nice in real life ,so it will be going in the trophy cabinet.

We put in some miles of footwork before they came up ,so that is the prize for this weekend.

I am getting closer to finding my first bit of gold. I keep finding small targets a few inches down like the 3mm long fence wire that took 10 minutes to locate and all the lead projectiles i keep coming across. My name is on a nugget somewhere ,but everytime i think i have found it, there is a bit of disappointment at the end of the find.

But, i`ll keep at it.

LOL, I have some of those matches here too.

Yep the first one is most likely a Perfume Bottle, the small hole is correct size for application to a fingertip.
The second bottle may be for a lotion, medication was never usually in fancy shaped bottles because they cost a lot more to buy, and usually smaller.

Medicine bottles are generally pretty plain and short threaded.

White jar looks like a face cream jar.
The glasses if they are part of your dig even look correct-ish for the....

Art Deco style/period - 1930-1950's Australia ?

Anyone else's thoughts ?

Do you have any history for your site ?

Really nice finds by the way, Kato would have them on the shelf for sure :Y:

I wasn`t sure about the glasses. No ID on them at all. They look like shot glasses ,but a little bit bigger. I don`t drink ,so i don`t exactly know how big shot glasses go up to ,but i think they may possibly be whisky glasses.

I will do some online detective work ,when i have the chance ,so thanks for the suggestion about the art deco era, Greenhornet_au.

All i can tell you about the site is it is an area of note . I am not giving anything away ,am i ? :cool:

FOZ

just starting said:
I wasn`t sure about the glasses. No ID on them at all. They look like shot glasses ,but a little bit bigger. I don`t drink ,so i don`t exactly know how big shot glasses go up to ,but i think they may possibly be whisky glasses.

I will do some online detective work ,when i have the chance ,so thanks for the suggestion about the art deco era, Greenhornet_au.

All i can tell you about the site is it is an area of note . I am not giving anything away ,am i ? :cool:

FOZ
is there scratches around the rim if so they could of had spreds for bread and so on the old glasses about that size we have used to have creamed cheese in them with a steel lid

No scratches on them , Savage bitter . They are about 3 inches high and 50mm diameter across the top.

The jar is a ponds jar , Grubstake. Made of ceramic. Are they still like that or plastic jars ?

FOZ

Possibly small cream cheese or vegimite jars... everyone bought them because they became a new glass for the cupboard.
That was just about all we used at one time :beer:

just starting said:
No scratches on them , Savage bitter . They are about 3 inches high and 50mm diameter across the top.

The jar is a ponds jar , Grubstake. Made of ceramic. Are they still like that or plastic jars ?

FOZ
that's the size of the old cream cheese glasses we have a shelf full of them from the early 60s

No, your not giving too much away mate, I'm in SA so I wont worry you. :Y:

The 'Ponds' jar is probably 30's-70's, long gone to plastic now, but anything high quality cosmetic was in and still is in glass, if it is ceramic it is older. (Milk glass ? White glass)

The glasses are not cream cheese or Vegemite in my opinion, the bases appear to be rounded on the edge and too small for diameter, no bulging lip on the outside of the rim
for the lid to hook onto, and the glass too thin also, but they do fit the era in your mix.
LOL, I do still drink out of those old Vegemite glasses (the few that are left) and we had those cream cheese one's too, great little glasses for kids,
replacements were not hard to find, and the glass was thick too.

Many sets of glasses were subtle in shape and format but plain, smaller so as to be usable but not let people think you were a boozer, it was about style then,
I may even have some from an estate sale, I collected glasses for a while, focused upon shot and smaller glasses, decanters too.
Decanters were often sold with these glasses as a set - think aperitif drinks.

Could we get some closer pic's please ?

Do you Easterners know of a beer glass called a 'Butcher', and what about 'Pony' ?
You have Pots and Pints... in SA we used to go .. Pony, Butcher, Schooner, Pint, Jug - from smallest to largest glassware in SA.

The Butcher is all but disappeared from memory, especially in Pub's and Bar's.
No one seems to know the Pony anymore.
In my early 20's I drove to Perth and mapped out every Town on route, I had a 'Butcher' in a Pub in every town I drove thru,
because they are small.
After I passed thru PT Augusta I was too tipsy to have any more, luckily there were no more open Pub's before I hit the border.

Interesting read's below.......

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/06/09/take-a-butchers-hook-at-the-butcher-glass/

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/skul...-sizes-have-been-upsized-20150305-13w5ih.html

Greenhornet_au said:
No, your not giving too much away mate, I'm in SA so I wont worry you. :Y:

The 'Ponds' jar is probably 30's-70's, long gone to plastic now, but anything high quality cosmetic was in and still is in glass, if it is ceramic it is older. (Milk glass ? White glass)

The glasses are not cream cheese or Vegemite in my opinion, the bases appear to be rounded on the edge and too small for diameter, no bulging lip on the outside of the rim
for the lid to hook onto, and the glass too thin also, but they do fit the era in your mix.
LOL, I do still drink out of those old Vegemite glasses (the few that are left) and we had those cream cheese one's too, great little glasses for kids,
replacements were not hard to find, and the glass was thick too.

Many sets of glasses were subtle in shape and format but plain, smaller so as to be usable but not let people think you were a boozer, it was about style then,
I may even have some from an estate sale, I collected glasses for a while, focused upon shot and smaller glasses, decanters too.
Decanters were often sold with these glasses as a set - think aperitif drinks.

Could we get some closer pic's please ?

Do you Easterners know of a beer glass called a 'Butcher', and what about 'Pony' ?
You have Pots and Pints... in SA we used to go .. Pony, Butcher, Schooner, Pint, Jug - from smallest to largest glassware in SA.

The Butcher is all but disappeared from memory, especially in Pub's and Bar's.
No one seems to know the Pony anymore.
In my early 20's I drove to Perth and mapped out every Town on route, I had a 'Butcher' in a Pub in every town I drove thru,
because they are small.
After I passed thru PT Augusta I was too tipsy to have any more, luckily there were no more open Pub's before I hit the border.

Interesting read's below.......

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/06/09/take-a-butchers-hook-at-the-butcher-glass/

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/skul...-sizes-have-been-upsized-20150305-13w5ih.html

In Vic. The smallest glass of beer you could buy was 6oz. Called a minie. All the old times drank them. With 6 clock closing time. You could drink 5 of these before you could drink a pot

When I sold papers as a kid at the Highway Inn on the weekends. An old bloke would by me a butcher of beer occasionally when it was a hot day. :playful:

By the way , I can find bottle labels dating back to the mid 1800s on the Internet, particularly medicines and tonics etc