Got me a New Toy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Originally spotted on Gumtree about 3 weeks ago, I decided to stick my neck out and buy sight unseen. :/ Risky... yes but reconed that anyone who owns a VJ would tend to look after it.

Did the 1600km trip yesterday to collect, 1.30am start and home by 6.30pm.. kind of knackered, but had the new toy:

1558837956_vj.jpg

And it's in pretty good condition, new spindle bearings but otherwise a clean and a bit of tightening is all it needs.

Bunch of 6", 8" and custom made laps from some interesting materials, several coppers, one is 8" and 25mm thick and a similar sized bronze 20mm thick which as Dinah says, "weigh a baby tonne!" plus a 6" ceramic in need of some TLC, but all good to work with.

Then the bonuses; 29yrs of Facet Talk, had a quick browse last night and some fascinating articles and designs, plus an almost complete set of Long & Steele Facet Designs! What an amazing body of work.. only missing #7

Some interesting powders and potions, one; Ceric Oxide is going to the Chemist for disposal as it's toxic, then some Crystalite Extender and a brew "Tourm 88" can't find anything about it but am thinking it's a special polish for Tourmaline.

Yep happy :) :) :)

Good find, Dihusky just curious to raise the mast height, is it raised hydraulically? I was just looking at the knob on the left hand side with the drive belt going to it
and the vernier adjustment. Bet your happy with that.

Prooz said:
Good find, Dihusky just curious to raise the mast height, is it raised hydraulically? I was just looking at the knob on the left hand side with the drive belt going to it
and the vernier adjustment. Bet your happy with that.

All mechanical mate, the know on the left raises the lap, fine threaded bush on a keyed post. Very simple and beautifully engineered, just had that section apart to replace the spindle bearings. Now I have to tackle the hummmmmmm :argh: from the motor controller, circuit looks simple the only problem is I know less than nothing about electronics :( , strictly a mechanical mind.

Raising a dead post.

Im looking to buy a similar machine to what dusky purchased, a second hand cutter in reasonable condition. Im okay with something that may need a few small repairs.

If anyone is interested in selling a machine or knows someone who is, shoot me a PM. Looking to spend up to 2K.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben, you probably need to look at around $3k+ for a second hand VJ, also if you're not familiar with setting up and re-aligning a faceting machine, the VJ is probably the hardest to align. Have a hunt around for a Gemmasta GF3 or 4 or a Hall Mk5 or a 2000, both are good machines but a lot easier to work on if you have to do bearings and alignments. Also relatively easy to source parts and accessories for a Gemmasta as they are still being manufactured, Hall a bit harder, you'll have to go to Horst Ricker in Rubyvale for new bits.

Thanks Husky!

Apologies for the confusion, but i wasnt specifically asking for a VJ. Poor wording on my part, but i simply meant any faceting machine similar to the one above, brand isnt of major concern to me.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway!

I did find a brand new Halls machine from UNAMIT in CNS but they are about $3500. Maybe ill just have to save up a bit more and go for one of those.

Cheers,
Ben

No worries mate, best of lick with your hunt.

Where Hall is concerned, the machine is the Xtra? Normally about 9 months plus from placing an order. If you are thinking about an Xtra find one to try first at a club, they have some quirks that you may or may not like, particularly if you wear glasses :( My wife used to have one and she wears bi-focals... had no end of trouble seeing the protractor, she's now using a VJ.

Dihusky said:
No worries mate, best of lick with your hunt.

Where Hall is concerned, the machine is the Xtra? Normally about 9 months plus from placing an order. If you are thinking about an Xtra find one to try first at a club, they have some quirks that you may or may not like, particularly if you wear glasses :( My wife used to have one and she wears bi-focals... had no end of trouble seeing the protractor, she's now using a VJ.

Thanks for the advice and yes i do believe it was the Xtra. Seemed like a decent package with the machine, a few different laps, dops, transfer jig and some diamond pastes for just over $3500 from memory. Im actually a bit younger and dont have the need for glasses (yet), my eyesight is pretty good so i dont think that will be too much of a problem.

Cheers,
Ben

Latest posts