5 tips to avoid snake bites

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigWave said:
I reckon that an EPIRB or PLB will just aid them finding your body that much faster.
You need a much faster response.

If bitten or any major life threatening situation & Im alone, no phone reception, a UHF radio & personal epirb would be better than not having them

Haha, no moderator powers anymore so cant even delete my own doubled up posts :p

Hey guys,
I am new to prospecting but not snakes, have worked with venomous snakes for over 20yrs and whilst there is some great information there, if that's all you follow then you are dead.

The most common snake in Victoria for example is the tiger snake, arguably the 4th deadliest snake depending on which list you use.

If you are bitten and just stay still as the advice suggests, you'll be dead in abt 4 1/2 minutes.

The best piece of equipment you can carry if you are going bush, and this is before your detector, is a 2m x 15cm stretch bandage.
Applying a immobilization bandage to the bite can stretch out the venom entering the system as much as 3-4hrs, enough time to get help.

My bandage is always in a pouch on my chest, as a bandage as mentioned above will be long enough to cover a big male's leg. (No offense to the women, just men are normally bigger) it can also be used to make a splint in the event or broken or twisted limbs.

Most chemists can order it in and it will cost about $15, but it is the best piece of equipment you can carry.

Just a reminder.
2 meter by 15cm stretch bandage.
It stretches to abt 4-5m.

Tips for avoiding snakes.
Make noise when you walk, snakes only attack when threatened with exception of eastern brown and coastal taipan.

Never step over logs, snakes like to hide along fallen logs, instead step up and away from the log.
You can see a snake on your side, it's what's on the other side you're avoiding.

Never try to catch, chase or follow a snake.
If bitten there are tests in hospital to determine species.

Sucking the venom doesn't work, just makes you or your mate sick.

Bleeding the bite doesn't work as venom travels through the lymphatic system until it reaches an artery.

If possible call for a ambulance, your mate rushing you often results in further accidents.

If a bite or even a possible bite occurs, apply pressure imbolization bandage immediately. Every second counts.

If possible carry the patient to prevent use of limb.

Keep patient alert and awake. Do not let them sleep, especially after tiger snake bite.

When parked in the bush for hours always do a walk around before getting into car, snakes often like to hide under cars to escape heat.

Most of all be respectful. Give them distance and you will have no issues.
If you see a snake, freeze, and very slowly back away until at a distance of 15ft, then turn and slowly walk away, snakes have very poor eye sight, if you move fast all they see is a big blur so they protect themselves, moving away slowly will prevent this, or remaining still until the snake moves on.

There is no reason for snake bite to occur if you are careful, but in the event you are bitten please follow above advice, it will save your life, not like other crap on the internet, if anyone has questions please ask.

Cheers luke

A few things to add...

Snakes cant hear.

Snakes can come out of hibernation for the day in winter to bask in the sun if the weather is mild.

Venom in the bloodstream is not the issue, its the lymphatic system hence why you need to restrict movement.

With Backcreeks scenario above, id tourniquet and splint the leg and travel as quietly as poss back to the vehicle.

Carry a PLB. They are cheap in the scheme of things. Consider one as part of your prospecting kit. I carry one out on the dirt bike also.

Al.

Latest posts