Minelab Gold Monster 1000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1556417212_img_20190428_110934_582.jpg

Thanks for the tips Maccatuna. I have been experimenting in my yard with hot rocks and gold. And yep, I can pick the difference in tone when over the gold. Thanks for the vid too. Ill give it a go Tuesday when Im out. Cheers.

Thanks for the video maccatuna, I assume you would focus more on listening for the good signal rather than watching the screen?
Hoping to buy a GM1000 soon, your thread has helped explain how to run it and what to listen for, thanks.

Yes that's right ...at the end of the day it's a metal detector not a gold detector....it can only indicate whether it is a ferrous or non ferrous target....its left up to you to decide the rest....in saying that I've had the indicator show full iron target identification then only to dig down a few inches to see it change to the complete opposite..ending up as a gold nugget...

Ive noticed a few discussions around the forums / farcebook etc where some people compare the GM to a GPX & seem to overlook the fundamental difference in that the GM is a wideband VLF.
I haven't had mine very long, & not found gold with it yet, but in practising with it on test pieces Im learning the noises it makes, starting to ignore the screen indicator, & I quiet like the little beast, & its not too bad as a coin/relic hunter in low trash areas, although I prefer my XT for that.... An EQ600/800 is on the wishlist ... oneday

Thankyou Maccatuna, like you I have been watching youtube and all the different ideas out there becoming confusing, I can not wait to get out and have a go. I was testing at home running over my wedding ring and the sound is very different to the ground noise I was getting. Your video is excellent.
Adrian

Hi Maccatuna

I ran the GM in full manual today as per your advice. I took a small bit of gold with me in a plastic zip lock bag and put it next to any target to compare the noise difference. It worked really well, I found a total of 2 bits, including my test bit which I had no idea Id lost until the GM picked it. Its the small bit in the photo.

I found that I can listen for targets using deep all metal manual 10, or look for targets using gold-mode manual 10 and the screen. But I think using the screen is distracting and better to focus on the sounds.

One thing that wasted half my day was that I was detecting around old iron bark trees. Really great targets but I never found anything. Turns out all the targets was the mineralisation in the tree. It set the GM off like crazy.

Thanks again Maccatuna. :clap:

1556615918_70f8e52e-b6d6-4a5d-867b-3c6a3f8b588a.jpg

Thanks mate legend i haven't got any gold i may take a little lead shot with me i only picked up the monster a week ago

ordered a gold monster today going to vic ina couple weeks i will give your settings a try thanks for the info

Small coil cos its lighter and picks less minerisation noise bcos it has less area coverage compared to the 10 inch.

Can anyone give me an idea of the possible depth the GM will get a larger nugget, say a 1 gram or even 5 grams.
I know how good it is on the tiniest of peices but I was wondering if its worth getting one to work heavily trashy sites from the old timers where there's still good gold