Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then there is Win10 shuttup. :) ;)
DON"T play with the settings in it.
Just accept the defaults and run with it.

I am starting to look at policy editor.

I only run the Pro versions. I will
not load home or any thing like that.

Jaros said:
My LAPTOP-OKAJ6E71 has an inbuilt battery--why is it so when sometimes the only way to fix a seized PC is to disconnect the battery for 15-30 secs and plug it back in.

You may have a very small hole on the back of your laptop to help with the reset.
Just fine enough to fit a paper clip (special service tool).

Cheers

HH

Tathradj said:
Then there is Win10 shuttup. :) ;)
DON"T play with the settings in it.
Just accept the defaults and run with it.

I am starting to look at policy editor.

I only run the Pro versions. I will
not load home or any thing like that.

Yep, I get that, the Pro versions have always been the 'go to' from way back.
But when someone has their own machine, and asks for it, I wont upgrade to a Pro version for them unless they pay MS for it.

They want something stable and free - linux mint is what I offer them.
BUT I will not install it as dual boot either, just complicates things, and then frankly, mostly they dont want it because they 'dont know that horse'. :clap:
Which I dont understand, because most people just use their pc for the internet, email and pic's, nothing much complicated there.

I'm no guru, no formal training, but spent a lot of time with Novell, MS, Mac over the different generations and you have no choice but to absorb
or die when you like techy stuff :playful:

LOL that 19yr old laptop is a HP, my mate thought it was a budget piece of rubbish when I showed it to him in his business.
In 1999 it was $520 inc each, the start of cheap laptops.
We bought 3 at the time, they are all still going strong and not a single hardware hicup.
Except maybe the one that I sat on breaking the screen........ now the Netflix box, and still going strong - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaros said:
My question is -why are they building laptops with built in batteries instead of replaceable ones??? :(

I'm not sure I understand your question, you can buy replacement battery packs if they die, or do you mean like throw away AA's ?

They have built in batteries to make life easier for you... :rolleyes:

If it has no battery pack that detaches and the battery is inside the shell, it is all about design appearance, no user serviceable parts, and product limited life.

THINK " IPAD."

I have a small list in my head for buying this sort of thing, and it is getting a lot harder to tick any of those boxes :/

I did a few searches and didnt find your laptop.

Can you pop up a few pics of it and a pic of the manufacturers label under it please ? I'm curious now. :)

Always like to remain a few years behind the times with operating systems. Means less need for antivirus software and less prone to ad/spyware on outdated browsers due incompatibility. My Iphone is also a bloody joke. You have no choice but to update. If you choose not to install updates you get cut from the network.

nuggetino said:
Always like to remain a few years behind the times with operating systems. Means less need for antivirus software and less prone to ad/spyware on outdated browsers due incompatibility. My Iphone is also a bloody joke. You have no choice but to update. If you choose not to install updates you get cut from the network.

wow so much wrong with that statement...

By not updating you are left open to exploits. And you are MORE prone to Spyware as you are lacking in security.

IT security and IT exploits are changing everyday, a lot of the automated updates are security updates to keep your data safe.

HP Notebook - 15-db0125au
$ 1,199.00
inc. GST

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache)
Windows 10 Home 64
15.6" diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

Designed for long-lasting performance, this stylishly designed HP 15" laptop has a long-lasting battery that keeps you connected, entertained, and productive all day. Speed through tasks, or sit back and socialize with an AMD processor[3] and a rich display. Do it all, all day.
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache)
Windows 10 Home 64
15.6" diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

Responsive and reliable performance
A laptop with the power to surf, stream,[4] and do so much more with an AMD processor[3]. Plus extensive quality testing ensures that you can keep going...and going.

Sleek. Stylish. Portable.
A sleek and stylish design makes this eye-catching laptop easy to take anywhere. With its beautiful brushed keyboard and color-matched hinge, the smartly designed HP 15" laptop looks as good as it performs.

Stay Connected and Entertained
Stay connected and entertained with a long-lasting HP Fast charge battery and visually rich display. Plus, easily store and enjoy your favorite music, movies, and photos with ample storage.

[3] Multi-core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations.
[4] Internet service required and not included.
Left

Full HD display
Sit back and enjoy crystal-clear visuals and images with the vibrant quality of 2 million pixels. The 1920 x 1080 resolution gives all your digital content a new dimension.

Guys, my first experience with computing was with punch cards on an overnight batch uni computer.
That was laborious - 2 or 3 days to get even a simple program to run sometimes.
Till mid uni years, I used a slide rule, until the HP35 calculator came along which cost me a half years saving.
Now we whinge about some minor issues.
Update or get faulty stuff repaired - there are billions of logic gates and memory cells within the simplest of machines these days which get hit by many thousands of fast atomic particles each day from the sun and the cosmos. Plus viruses out there to kill/maim/steal.
Nothing can last forever - repair, update, protect or live with it IMHO.
I updated to Windows 10 and have never looked back.

All I wanted to know really was why have they inbuilt batteries in my new computer. It's running like a charm with all the protection i have with AVG Anti virus/pc tune up/ driver updater etc.
It's the best I have ever had just took a while to get used to Win10 from Win7.
All is good.

So Bigwave your saying move with the times.
I think we need to say No to this type of thinking of a throw away world. It's all about turnover and not about the end user. We are being told to just suck it up.
What is going to happen when they bring out detectors and they are now with none replaceable batteries. The Equanox series are sealed units. I know they can be changed but that's the same thing they did with mobile phones and now Samsung 9 you can't replace the battery. Just buy another phone...nup it's all going down the wrong path.

All I am meaning to say is that if I can get 5 yrs out of a PC then I'm happy these days-as long as they are updated regularly and have all the junk cleaned out. I also defrag every 3 mths. It's like owning a car keep it serviced and you have a lot less trouble. I have a 15 yr old Pathy and it is running as sweet as ever cos I trust the mechanic who has worked on it for all those years.

I have a 2011 HP Probook 15" Laptop running W7 Pro & ZoneAlarm Extreme Firewall & Antivirus
It crashes once in a while, which ive narrowed down to thinking is a RAM chip problem. Plan to get new RAM put in it.
most software runs faster than me on it.
Cant find any reason to change to a W10 machine. I find the W10 interface annoying.
I don't like new model cars either for the unnecessary crap they put in them.
My laptop does a fine job as it is! oh, & I have 2 batteries. If 1 goes flat & a charge point isn't convenient, just pop the other in.

Jaros, this will give you an idea of what ISNT inside your laptop, and how the battery is fitted. It is a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1c9EVswX8

My desktop I am currently on is 10yrs old and performs quite well, there isnt any reason to 'upgrade' and if components fail I can replace them up to a board fail.
Total cost for my Ultra Small Form Factor Dell Optiplex 745 -

$10 For the Dell
$2 bios battery
$19 Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

While we are a "throw away" Society in development, some of us can choose where to save coin when we can.
I have purchased $35k servers, and replaced them just 2yrs down the line - that is a business need.

But for home I can happily cruise with an older machine, and gratefully use software provided by much smarter and generous people
than myself - I happily give $ support to their various projects.

I think that we are at a point that hardware just does not need to advance so fast for the Home User 'Joe Monkey', and that manufacturers and software engineers
need to 'invent' a reason for Joe Monkey to spend bananas and upgrade. Some would call that a "False Flag" scenario....
Batteries and things that are internal but non serviceable by end users is the start, Apple have that down to a fine art at component level. :rolleyes:

I just cant bring myself to be ok with the chance that I may have to replace a $1300 laptop every 5yrs because of a battery fail,
as sweet as they look and as well as they may perform - 95% of people just have them plugged in on a desk at home, never to move.

Horses for courses, as I said in an earlier post. :)

I shun both MS and Apple, but have a foot in every camp, along with Mint that means 3 camps - I'm like 'Jake the Peg'. LOL :playful:

Even I can answer that one.
Perfect. :Y: :Y: :Y:
First thing I install after a good browser....

good to hear. I use Open Office on my (W7 Pro) laptop & desktop PC at home
Ive been thinking about Linux for a while, but theres several versions & I don't know enough about it to know what version to get, mainly concerned about compatibility.
I might pick up another Laptop & run it on Linux to see how I go. Refurbished old laptops are fairly easy to find.

Latest posts