Help identifying a stone?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went panning yesterday and I found a smallish round stone which is almost completely clear. I'll post a photo once I figure out how!

1558253197_20190519_180615.jpg

You devide the weight of the stone by the weight of it suspended in water. Essentially its weight devided by its volume

Theduke said:
You devide the weight of the stone by the weight of it suspended in water. Essentially its weight devided by its volume

Poor fellow... That will confuse him... :8 {) Perhaps a location where it was found may also help in an ID...

LW...

It was just at Reedy Creek, and yes think I'm a bit out of my depth doing that at the minute!

If you put the stone to your lips and it feels cool, it could be a Topaz... If you notice no difference then it could be Quartz... Not a great guide but gives you a bit of an idea...

LW....

I just did the lip test and it was cold, so I'll settle with Topaz I think iluntill proven otherwise!

When I first saw it my first thought was also Topaz. When you say small, how small, could you do a photo with a reference object i.e. 5 cent piece.

The only place that I have ever seen this suggestion that topaz can be identified by a "lip test" is on this site (and I do not know what property could be expected to cause such a result). SG tests are easy and reliable. Also it will scratch quartz, not vice-versa.

Bit like the 'soapy feel' test for Topaz, when you're comparing Topaz against things like Quartz, the cold test works well as there is a significant difference for some reason, really does feel cold :eek:

To do with density i think. Another test i have seen done is the drop test.
Topaz has a density of 3.49, Quartz 2.65.
Drop a Topaz into an empty drinking glass from a
few inches above the glass and it will jump out.
Do the same with Quartz and it will stay in the glass.

Latest posts