Out 'n' About With The CTX3030

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about investing in a faster recovering detector for these iron infested sites (ie Equinox etc), might help unlock a few more targets and compliment the CTX?

Great finds Sandra, Im just a little bit jealous of some of those buckles!

Looks like maybe you scored a valve stem cover for a Model T?

1557754659_9129492b-3910-4842-af1c-6b2662cf1776.jpg

Yes, I saw that later, they appear to be quite broad and short so we considered it may have been a cosmetic cover or tablet container,
because of the fine thread in the end.

All have been made of copper, there is a Ford almost complete on one of our permissions, maybe we should ask to look and take a few along,
no doubt that other manufacturers had some slight variation, Kato has one or two in normal tube state, and a few in flattened state.
The one on the tire pic looks to be thinner and longer.

Thanks

Goldpick said:
Wow, got some great cricket memorabilia there Sandta, what a site. That Eagle buckle would definitely be US military, could you please post a closeup pic of it - worth doing a bit of research on that one. :Y:
Thanks mate , was surprised to find one let alone multiple buckles
I have just finished cleaning them all and discovered another surprise :party:
You will have to wait a little longer for the pics though ... need sunlight , otherwise the pics are :N: :poop:
Ah , and ye i have been thinking about an equinox .... and another for gold ;) but i think that one is a bit hard to justify yet :(

I dont normally clean my finds with as much care and detail as i have with this buckle.
One because not many have been as good quality/condition as this one , and two , because this is being returned to the land owner (along with a couple of other 'not shown' items) which will be displayed in heir home.
The detail in this is thing is incredible , i guess it shows how highly regarded these must have been.
I have no idea how common (or scarce) this particular buckle may be
1558134946_img_8877.jpg

I previously mentioned i discovered something unexpected.
Well check out what cleaning the damaged rowing buckle revieled
1558135594_img_8881.jpg

Its gilt , front and back . The detail in the face and in the background is unbelievable.
The photos dont really capture what the eye can see :/
And here is a better picture of the eagle buckle
1558135973_img_8886.jpg

Hi Sandta, just going through catching up on the PA talk while I've been away, Your new permission has turned up some fab finds and by the sound of it it will keep you busy for quite some time to come, keep at it mate. Interesting that you're thinking about the Equinox, last week the same thoughts were rattling around in my head, on a previous trip I had located a spot where the GPZ7000 went absolutely crazy around an area about the size of a tennis court, First pass with the 3030 with the big coil attached and it was straight back to the cruiser for the normal coil, while there was some improvement there were many situations where there were multiple targets under the coil at any one time, hence the Equinox thoughts, might try the XP Deus next time.
Cheers, SinHof.

That first buckle cleaned up well, love that Eagle buckle too. Sandta, can you tell me what is under the eagle, is it a boat/canoe - I can also see a face there as well?? :D

Those three buckles tell quite a story of early Australian history. Shame the rowing one isnt fully intact, but stunning nonetheless. The US eagle buckle would have an interesting tale to tell.

Well done mate. Check out brianincnb he has a book on cricket buckles. Sorry I cant put up the link because I dont know how. Cheers. :clap:

Sandta said:
Have tried to figure out that eagle buckle .... no luck
Not sure if Silver was 'on the money' or just having a lend (bit hard to tell with that bloke sometimes ;) :))
My mind recon'd Jason straight up.... so I looked up the story.... then posted once I read about the bird and the rocks bit. Recon it would be a line of enquiry worth pursuit (maybe lol) O:)

I'm pretty certain this may also be part of the ornamentation on an old Oggle-Goggle box part as found/shown by Bjay, post #5 on the Finds Identification and Valulation thread

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=489922#p489922

This is just the type of symbol that was shown in the centerpiece that's missing on his. :Y:

By the way, the Oggle-Goggle box itself was one of the first instances of the use of Plywood in Australia, so sadly we will probably never find the rest of one of them with our detectors. Great Aussie invention though!

Latest posts