SDC2300 And Coiltek 14 x 9 Finds Thread (First Day First Gold)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to return the GPZ19" coil after extensive testing proved that it gave no where near the 40% depth increase over the standard 14" coil as claimed. Consumer affairs advised me that if a product did not perform as claimed, I had a right to a full refund. Minelab would not have a bar of it. To pursue a refund would have been time consuming and costly, a fact that Minelab were more than aware of. I was tempted to take them on, but was advised that they would' break me', so opted to just drop it. I sold the 'dog', and good riddance.

tuner said:
thats what i want not to pick up those lead pellets spending hours for nothing

If your machine isn't picking up shotgun pellets it is missing gold. Finding lead is unfortunately part and parcel of gold detecting. GOLD DETECTORS are not on the market only metal detectors.
Below image is the result by my partner using unmodified SDC2300 scrubbing 50 yo old scrapes which had been done over with detectors through the ages.
About 50 pellets came with this golden collection.

1558137704_gold_amp_species_004.jpg

Regarding the GPZ 19" coil (even though this is an SDC thread) mine was most certainly not a "dog" and had me digging some wickedly deep holes the 14" couldn't hear as well as finding some rediculously small stuff at shallow depths.

The only reason I sold it was because the Russians were coming which promised lighter weight. If not I'd still have it, it was a brillaint though ground specific coil, not a step it out prospecting coil

madtuna said:
Regarding the GPZ 19" coil (even though this is an SDC thread) mine was most certainly not a "dog" and had me digging some wickedly deep holes the 14" couldn't hear as well as finding some rediculously small stuff at shallow depths.

The only reason I sold it was because the Russians were coming which promised lighter weight. If not I'd still have it, it was a brillaint though ground specific coil, not a step it out prospecting coil

Same here Steve, mine was definitely not a " dog ", as Reg so unkindly describes it. Heavy yes, but not a dog. ;) First run through just one of my carefully gridded ( GPX4500, 5000 and GPZ14 ) patches yielded another ounce to the GPZ19 :D

By the way Reg, the Minelab claim for the GPZ19 was 30%, not 40%, as you claim. They also added the caveat that the 30% was not always achievable due to many various factors.

https://www.minelab.com/anz/accessories-1/gpz-19-1

Like Steve, the Russian coils promised less weight for bigger ground coverage, so I sold my 19, and I have ordered a 17 round as a first step, and probably a 22x21 to follow up ! :Y: :Y:

Cheers,
Rick

Jaros, yes, I informed the buyer that it was a 'dog', but he still wanted it anyway. And by the way, I was not the only one who thought the 19" coil was a 'dog'. I could not get better than 10% maximum out of it. Even if 30% was the claim, it never got near that. It was heavy as hell, ridiculously designed, (actually gripped the grass like a brake with those stupid little rubber bits on the skid plate) and way over priced. "Caveat"? Snake oil!!! The damned thing must have been designed by the tea lady.
Minelab still have so many of these 'boat anchors' that they are giving them away for free which each GPZ 7000 sold in America, and despite all the protestations of Minelab dealers, and ex Minelab dealers, they were a disappointment to many who bought them. They will be gathering dust everywhere now that the Russian coils are available.

Reg Wilson said:
Jaros, yes, I informed the buyer that it was a 'dog', but he still wanted it anyway. And by the way, I was not the only one who thought the 19" coil was a 'dog'. I could not get better than 10% maximum out of it. Even if 30% was the claim, it never got near that. It was heavy as hell, ridiculously designed, (actually gripped the grass like a brake with those stupid little rubber bits on the skid plate) and way over priced. "Caveat"? Snake oil!!! The damned thing must have been designed by the tea lady.
Minelab still have so many of these 'boat anchors' that they are giving them away for free which each GPZ 7000 sold in America, and despite all the protestations of Minelab dealers, and ex Minelab dealers, they were a disappointment to many who bought them. They will be gathering dust everywhere now that the Russian coils are available.

And they were also a godsend to many who took the time to learn them and used them in the ground they were designed to be used in and how they were designed to be used.

No arguement they were heavy.

As for the ex Minelab dealer quip, are you infering that because Rick and I are both ex Minelab that our finding are not valid or we are both liars?

I tend to think Reg you just might be wearing your Anti Minelab panties a touch too tight again.

Reg,

I easily solved the gripping rubber strip problem by shaving them off with a Stanley knife, end of problem ! Smooth as across the grass. :D

Or you could just use one of the Nugget Finder skid plates, same result, problem solved. :Y:

Rick.

Muk said:
Maybe you should start a gpz19inch coil post so this one can get back to sdc comments cheers Muk.

Yes i agree.
Talk SDC.
A few things i had not mentioned this Modded SDC.
This unit used to chuck a wobbly at times more so in Hot Breezy Afternoons.
Eventually `i` opened the unit up only to find that a cylinder type of capacitor thingy had become dislodged from glue failure.
Repaired the creature and the unit runs well.

Using the standard 8``coil.
False Signals.
My thought here is the spring loaded Wiring that enables the shaft length extension where cables are normally fed through the inside of the shaft.
With this one the curly sprung cable is running on the outside from it`s modification.
I think the breeze vibrates the cable at times causing the unit to become a little unstable from too much vibration.Confusion my guess.
I do get a lot of false signals when that cable is bumped on bushes ect.
The cable now is looking a bit shabby so i`m going to attempt to open the standard ``8 coil up and re-wire with straight cable and maybe feed the wires up the inside for more protection.
No up dates on any further testing on the `12 NF or the ``16 NF as i have been out and about using the ``8 standard coil as the finer gold is more prevalent in this Orara Region.
Interesting The New coils just wondering if the `11 round will be more stable than the ``14 x``9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1vcFPR_d0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAz26jV1VnI

Great clips Bush thanks for putting them up makes me toey about maybe getting one of the new sdc coils cheers Muk.

An interesting publicity email just received from Coiltek includes the following (bolded text is my own emphasis):

Coiltek said:
Thank you from Coiltek
A big thankyou to our many Coiltek customers for their loyal support during the introduction of our New Gold Extreme coils. Gold Extreme was designed to enhance the performance of the SDC2300 metal detectors. Although some initial teething problems emerged, as would be expected during a new product launch, the positive response from customers across the globe has been overwhelming. The reported performance of Gold Extreme, out there in the field, has even exceeded our own expectations so again many thanks.

Hi all . Has anyone heard of any recent updates on the performance of the SDC 2300 coils - 14 x 9, 11" and the 10 x 5 versus the original 8" coil. I'm thinking of the 14 x 9, is there advantage/disadvantage over the original 8" Thanks Leafs

Hey Leaf,
Yeh i know it`s All gone very quiet on that note.
There either extremely busy detecting or the coils have turned out tobe lemons.
I`m not shore what to make of it.
Retirement Nugget says he just purchased 2 of `em as his standard 8`` coil is clapping out .
Don`t know what to believe on that note.
Just a thought too has anyone tried them on a GPX 4500 or GPX500.
The cable connections most likely need changing over.
The mini sdc 5 pin star to standard 5 pin round or vice a versa.

Thanks Bush, I assume the silence means allot! Think I'll save my $ . Does any one know if another co. is working on a new coil for the sdc?

Hey Leaf.
No else one came to the Party mate.
If i had to put money on it Nugget Finder are possibly working on it.
Word had it that Coiltek whom was designing these Coils approached Minelab for the Coil Specs but Minelab would not supply him / them with the details.
Pretty sad too if Coiltek has disappointed some buyers they certainly would have had it worked out one would think prior Mass Production.
Possibly manufactured in China may have been where a fault lies.
Most things i`ve bought from China have malfunctioned or been in need of rectification but again i don`t really know this coil story.

It` is possible that the coils are working so well it`s now become a trade secrete.
Would Coiltek continue to retail a faulty product if that is the case seriously really Consumer Affairs & All that.

Funny to ; Question is why hasn`t Minelab released any larger coils to suit the sdc2300. ? .
Possibly the high speed pulses of the TX and RX signals is too quick on larger coils & interference occurs falsifying out the unit.
My imagination & i`m talking out my ass here.

Maybe Grubstake could shed some light on the subject he seem`s tobe on the know with whom & what.
Hey Grubstake are you reading.
Does Auman ( Mick ) run a Detecting type business ?
He really was helpful in my Coil reconstruction. I`m Very grateful for his inputs just thought he should know.
`i` thought he could have been Woody on P/A under another Alias naughty boy if that is the case.
Maybe you could fill in the Missing Links for me mate.

Also does P/A have a search bar it would really be handy in referencing & locating missed placed subjects that have ended up in the wrong category.
Enjoy the Day Folks. : :beer:

Hi Bush.
Just need to clear up your comments regarding manufacturing in China..."Possibly manufactured in China may have been where a fault lies."

All of the Coiltek Product is built in our factory in Salisbury South, South Australia and always has been.

Coils are working very well - yes there were teething problems but have all been rectified and dealt with.

Trevor @ Coiltek.

Latest posts