NF Evolution and Detech Ultrasensing Coils (any comparisons)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently I own 4 coils- The two 11" Commander coils that came with the 5000 (1xmono, 1xDD), a 20" NF Advantage and a 21" x 17" Detech SEF.

I'd like to fill the gap with a mono around the 15" size. I've just read a post by Thathradj regarding the NF Evo range. He speaks highly of them, but then I've also seen good things written about the detech ultra sensing coils. The 15" round Evo weighs 1000 grams closed, or 940 grams open, and costs $570, whereas the Detech 15" Ultrasensing mono coil weighs 1200 grams closed and costs $415.

Now, the weight thing doesn't bother me as I'm already used to using a hipstick and guide arm to push a 21" x 17" SEF around all day that weighs in at 1235 grams.

So, has anyone on here tried both in the field or on a target/s in a test bed and compared the two?

I know both companies make great coils, but I can't help but wonder where that extra 200 grams comes from in the Detech Ultrasensing coil, and can only think that maybe it has more windings or wire thickness inside? That plus $155 price difference has got me curious before I spring for either.

Thanks guys,

I checked out the link thanks isolation. I also had a look at another one of Nenads videos where he was pinging little nuggets near Avoca in Victoria with the 12" evo.

I'm surprised how you don't have to go up or down much in coil size for a signal to disappear or stand out on the same nugget/s still in the same hole/s.

May explain why in my Newbie ambitious haste pushing around a 20" or 21 x 17 hasn't returned anything for my efforts for the last 8 months. Maybe time for a reality check. I'm wondering though now if I should instead go for a 12" evo over a 15" evo, but then how much difference would there be between the 11"Minelab commander and a 12" NF evo?

I realize that Mr Deepseeker may have to accept facts and change his moniker to Mr RealisticSeeker, but I don't know if for the amount of times I can get out and prospect, if it's worth becoming a Mr CoilKing either?

The larger NF coils are still quite good at pinging sub gram nuggets. I've been using a 19" evo lately and I'm still finding bird shot. The 15" will do the same.

You should easily find sub gram nuggs with the 11" mono as well. The 12" NF will give you more depth than the 11", and a sharper target response.

I have tried the NF 12" Evo for a week, found it sensitive to small gold, but sometimes noisy. So I bought the 14" Detech Spiral Wound Mono from Nenad. A couple of weeks ago I tried it at a test area near Talbot. Poly pipes at various depths.

The target was a flat piece of metal about 12cm x 7 cm on the end of what looked like an arrow shaft. I used the following settings.

Front set to General, Special, Mono, Fixed.
Rear - Spcial Fine Gold, Rx 11 Stab 9, Motion slow, Vol Limit 12 Target Vol 12 and had a speaker connected.

I got a very digable signal at 42" deep. Also when I first bought it, I found the 3gr nugget shown in my Avatar at about 8"

Although there may be other users with more experience with these coils, my logic on talking to Nenad was that I could not see near on a $150 benefit in the NF.

Don't forget the coiltech cammo elite ,14 " but same spiral wound design . It is the one that stays on my detector 90 % of the time . A hip stick helps with the weight , and I prefer closed over open , they seem to glide over the ground better and not catch on the twigs ( I am a scrubber!)
thanks, Brett

I also run the 14" elite and its performance is amazing. I had the 11" elite and I never use it now I have 14". If I had my time again I probably would have gone straight for the 15" evo as the lighter weight adds up at the end of a long day.

I'd definitely get one of the larger 14-15" coils since you already have the 11" commander and it's a pretty good coil.
I often think of making a YouTube video comparing the commander to the elite as no one has done it.

Hi thanks for the post as i have been wondering about different coils for a while.

I am still running with the Commander coils that came with the 5000.
Should I bite the bullet and look at other coils? ie the Enviro?

I have the 7000 as well with the Commander mono coil.
Do any other coils suit the 7000?

Cheers Scotty

The Commander coils are underrated. In saying that if your happy with how you're going with the GPX & Commander coil & feel you would benefit from a smaller, larger or elliptical coil in your area then I would consider a spiral wound coil.
The GPZ has a new range of coils (X Coils) available from member davsgold https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=6570

Out testing a 15 Detech mono right now, having a break after digging this for a flat bit of rust, also getting the usual small bits of lead shot no problem, seems to run a bit smoother than my 17x13 evo and sensitive on the edge when pin pointing
1558147061_e158672c-19ca-4af4-9e2a-2d42836540b1.jpg

HoudiniHarry said:
now that is one deep hole
hope the return on effort works out.

cheers and good luck

hh

You're damn right it is! I thought I had dug some deep holes but that's a beauty :pickshovel:

Hope it returns :goldnugget: and not :poop:

Deepseeker said:
HoudiniHarry said:
now that is one deep hole
hope the return on effort works out.

cheers and good luck

hh

You're damn right it is! I thought I had dug some deep holes but that's a beauty :pickshovel:

Hope it returns :goldnugget: and not :poop:

Was just a bit of rust :mad: coil did well to get it though I thought, was a broad ground noise type signal on the surface.

isolation said:
Might as well go straight to the expert :)

https://youtu.be/LyVj7lCXV7A

thats an air test and useless if you ask me. Why, because when the target is on surface your not really exercising the coils ability to distinguish between ground noise and target response THROUGH that ground that the threshold is tuned against.. remember tuning for a stable threshold particularly in heavily mineralised ground impacts the ability to respond to target. A noisy coil and a quiet coil = one coil handles the ground better but can it then respond to the target?

Bury your targets when testing if you want a true representation of a coils performance. A coils performance MUST take into account all parameters before accurate relevant results can be obtained. If this was not the case, then all coil manufactures would not use beta testers... they would simply air test in the workshop before releasing the coil to market - now would you want this, I would think not!

BigL said:
isolation said:
Might as well go straight to the expert :)

https://youtu.be/LyVj7lCXV7A

thats an air test and useless if you ask me. Why, because when the target is on surface your not really exercising the coils ability to distinguish between ground noise and target response THROUGH that ground that the threshold is tuned against.. remember tuning for a stable threshold particularly in heavily mineralised ground impacts the ability to respond to target. A noisy coil and a quiet coil = one coil handles the ground better but can it then respond to the target?

Bury your targets when testing if you want a true representation of a coils performance. A coils performance MUST take into account all parameters before accurate relevant results can be obtained. If this was not the case, then all coil manufactures would not use beta testers... they would simply air test in the workshop before releasing the coil to market - now would you want this, I would think not!

???
I must have been watching a different video. In the beginning he shows all the nuggets in the holes he has dug, then he fills the holes in, so the nuggets are buried...???

The targets were buried?
The "testing" to me is more of a quick comparison of coils on the same buried targets under the same conditions. These are coils that have already been through testing & have been released for sale. No doubt the comparison was done by Nenad due to getting a number of enquiries about these different branded spiral wound coils.
They have all been proven to find gold in a variety of conditions.

Latest posts