Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
CreviseSucker, most people just use 'snake gators' ... on eBay & from most prospector shops
have a read of this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=463293#p463293
some pics there too

Yeah I own a pair but snakes can and have bitten through leather boots where we are . Reckon ordinary leather will stop 50 % of bites but if you work in the West you either need boots like those ones above with the Gortex armour or make sure your will is up to date.

Last time we had to call the flying doctor it was 4 hours by the time he got antivenom and he still didnt recover fully from organ damage.

Death Adder can and will go through leather boots.
I have a pair of SnakeProtex but in some cases an
Adder will go through them.

my gators have sheets of what feels like 1mm thick HDPE (high density polyethylene) inside them. very tough & low friction stuff & a snakes fangs would possibly be deflected on the surface. but you never know until tried hey!
I might drop into the reptile park soon & ask them about a few questions about the issue.

Gday

At the end of the day we are ultimately responsible for ourselves, when lost and on your own you can only rely on your own resources, the only way to have a decent chance of survival is to use your head and kit yourself up prior the event of an accident,snake bite, or getting lost ever happening, you have to be able to firstly treat or stabilise yourself and then make others aware that you are in trouble, ie like using your radio, blowing a whistle, or setting off your plb, but don't wait do it asap, but you have to be sure to have these things on you at all times, no point leaving them in the car as some people do, you might carry all this extra kit about with you for years but when things go bad you will be glad you did.

I know people that for some reason wont take the advice given to them to kit themselves up and I always feel that they are just accidents waiting to happen, like I said you might carry this stuff about on you for years maybe but when you need it its there and will probably save your life, further to that I think its irresponsible for people to expect others to put themselves at risk to look for them when they are not prepared to look after themselves in the first place.

Over here in the west we lose quite a few people every season, at least one death a year, its very hard on the families as some never get any closure, so do the right thing and protect yourself, you may not be able to cover all the events that can occur but at least the better prepared you can make yourself the higher the percentages of a good outcome for you and your family.

cheers

stayyerAU

body recovered in WA's Southwest Stirling Ranges
its not the Outback or Goldfields, but still a warning to not become complacent when bush walking/hiking or prospecting.
It appears this women was terribly unprepared. It has been near freezing at night in the Stirling Ranges.
"The identity of the body has yet to be confirmed, however, it is believed to be that of 39-year-old Lorjie Bautista, a Mandurah woman who went missing more than a week ago".
Very sad outcome
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...missing-mother-lorjie-bautista-ng-b881199565z

On the lease , snake tracks are common , a pair of gators would be advisable . Make sure you keep your personal safety device / Epirb on you at all times . Safety first .

Ded Driver said:
another tourist missing .. this one in Kakadu NT, after another was rescued earlier this week
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...ared-missing-in-kakadu-national-park/11434448
when tourists get a visa to visit they should be given a 'Do & Dont' information sheet ...like dont go wandering in remote areas on your own!

Mate, I once crossed one of our fences where 3 fences met and didn't pay attention which one I crossed and got lost on a new property we bought within 1/2 a K from the house and got lost for an hour and a Bit, So what chance have tourists got out in the Bush, People just should not go out there on there own. :N: :N:

Ridge Runner said:
Mate, I once crossed one of our fences where 3 fences met and didn't pay attention which one I crossed and got lost on a new property we bought within 1/2 a K from the house and got lost for an hour and a Bit, So what chance have tourists got out in the Bush, People just should not go out there on there own. :N: :N:
hahahaha I know what you mean RR. in that scenario I talk to the trees, they see all & know all :playful:
in reality what I mean is, I am always looking for a landmark &/or unique looking trees to guide me
that said, when inland a 20km x 20km (horizon to horizon) area may look the same in every direction ... a traditional compass is a good pocket companion ... a gps even better ;)

Ded Driver said:
Ridge Runner said:
hahahaha I know what you mean RR. in that scenario I talk to the trees, they see all & know all :playful:
in reality what I mean is, I am always looking for a landmark &/or unique looking trees to guide me
that said, when inland a 20km x 20km (horizon to horizon) area may look the same in every direction ... a traditional compass is a good pocket companion ... a gps even better ;)

Yeah, The thing was this happened just on sun set so I was running out of time and ever since hand held GPS's hit the market I have always carried one, I have a couple of Garmins that run for 24 hours on 2 AA's and I have a view others, I also have a couple of Tritium US Army Compasses but they are Calibrated for the Northern Hemisphere So I would need a couple Calibrated for the Southern Hemisphere if and when I come home

The 3H is the Tritium Model and the Model 27 is the normal luminous version, I couldn't decide which one to get so I bought them both, The 3H Tritium model is self luminous and the Model 27 glow after it has been in the Sun or you shine a Torch on it,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cammenga