Mini sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this new hobby is consuming my thoughts and as I can't get out and about I thought I'd get busy in the shed with my son and make a mine sluice... Its only 150mm wide and maybe 800mm long but I still need to add a funnel shaped piece at the top end... I have used pallet angle for the first set of riffles and some rubber matting at the bottom, I have some aluminium riffles to add in over the rubber but ran out of time. What's everyone's thoughts on this design?

Also was wondering if anyone tests their equipment with tiny led pieces? Drop 20 in a bucket of tailings and see how many you pick up?

Thanks for your time! :)

Hi Just just get people opinion on the best little sluice to get that can do about 5 to 10 pan fulls at a time

Thats like a standard sized bucket at most, if you feed it with a scoop and separate any bigger stuff whatever you buy will be fine.

I don't think you'll do any better than the Gold Rat 6" mini sluice. Dustin makes a great product, knows his stuff and is always happy to help.

i bought the small backpacker ROE ( Ryan Oldfield engineering ) 6" dream mat sluice , also a good little sluice that is well made like the goldrat mini , about the same price , but detachable flare to make it smaller and more compact , but not the slickplate length before the mat like the goldrat , both great handy little sluices.

I have been thinking about buying a sluice myself but not much idea on which one, after reading post's here I have a few to checkout cheers.

jakal said:
Angus mackirk are great sluices.

I owned a couple of McKirk sluices but they wouldnt catch fine flat Shoalhaven gold no matter how shallow you set them up . I sold both of them and use Dustins dream mat for primary stage in the sluice .

Cute , if they made one say 40 cm long I would call that a handy backpack sluice that you could squeeze in between your sleeping bag , socks , undies and bags of dehydrated potato...

I recently bought the ROE backpacker sluice with the 16x6 " mini dream mat in it , and it works well I like the gold rat backpacker sluice also and was tossing up between the two .
The goldrat is a bit longer so therefore has a better slick plate area , but i chose the ROE because i can take the flare off and it then sits inside the body of the sluice to throw in a backpack .

I think that baby pocket sluice would be a bit tedious trying to get any decent amount of dirt through it .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-Sl...715747?hash=item4d91ed15e3:g:IpIAAOSwoixctudU

I think just a 10 inch gold pan would be better to carry than that pocket sluice.