Reedy Creek Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not no a gemstone if I fell on it....

Would just think that a nice stone and put it back :lol: :lol:

Goody :|

Agreed. I reckon I've thrown gemstones back into the creek due to my ignorance. If it isn't gold, it gets tossed.

I need to learn how to identify gems.

I'm still new myself, but I know when I was starting, I threw away one decent size gem because of ignorance.

If you take the kids, get them panning and checking out the area too - my kids have picked up some great smokey quartz just laying on the ground and some small but colourful gems in the bottom of the pan.

I recently bought "Gemstones in Victoria" by Bill Birch, Dermot Henry. Still reading it (when time allows).

Cheers
Luke

1968falconxt said:
How's the water looking there now? I would love to go for a dig over Easter weekend up that way

Hey 1968falconxt,

I was on Reedy over the weekend and was surprised by how much water was around compared to my last visit in March. There's very little flow, but plenty of pools for panning/pumping.

I'm new to this but was just wondering if reedy creek is the best spot around beechworth? Or if there are others nearby

There are other areas within a short drive of beechworth. Reedy creek has been the best so far for me. I use geovic and this forum for research. Youll find posts about the area in this forum if you type in the right keywords in the search area.

Yes there is a list. Just search. Its somewhere on the Earth Resources Vic pages. Short story is virtually all creeks and rivers that are worth prospecting are excluded. The reality is there are still a great many of us prospectors. The only people I have seen that have been got are those with industrial scale equipment like excavators, dredges, right next to someones house or mining the riverbanks in tonne loads.

Araluen

SWright said:
Yes there is a list. Just search. Its somewhere on the Earth Resources Vic pages. Short story is virtually all creeks and rivers that are worth prospecting are excluded. The reality is there are still a great many of us prospectors. The only people I have seen that have been got are those with industrial scale equipment like excavators, dredges, right next to someones house or mining the riverbanks in tonne loads.

Araluen

Hi SWright - not seen included rivers list on DPI - only the excluded and dis-allowed - ive gleaned only a few from this forum but as you say thay are hammered so badly they look like the moon from pics ive seen - I remember finding alluvial near Bacchus Mash and Brisbane Ranges with my Dad in 60s to 70s but no more which is dumb - the excluded rives should have panning allowed but no sluicing or heavy gear and leave it like you found it rules like with detecting - cheers Mark

I agree it does say which parks but it it doesn't list the Rivers to make it visibly distinct from the excluded Rivers

Why doest someone start the Prospecting Party to change legislation? - should do heaps better than Argggg The Pirate Party????

Marcus, the first link lists the banned rivers/creeks. Simple, anything else is fair game.

When your up and running ill become a member mate!

Hey folks, planning a Reedy trip this weekend. Any updates on water levels? Surely with the rains we've had recently there's a bit of flow?

Caesar said:
Hey folks, planning a Reedy trip this weekend. Any updates on water levels? Surely with the rains we've had recently there's a bit of flow?

Plenty of rain up here in the last 24hrs particularly overnight.