GPZ7000: Info, Tips, Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick 19" question....Used mine yesterday...
Has anyone observed that it greatly changes the threshold tone?...I had to drop the tone right back as it was very high pitched cf. the 14"...Is that normal??....
I also swung it over a horseshoe that was lying on the ground and literally only detected it from about 2 foot....
Not sure is working like it should be.
When I bought it second-hand, someone has glued plastic to the bottom as a defacto coil cover....am wondering if thats buggering things up (???)

I cant say the tone is any different between 14 and 19 on mine , i havet tried above a horse shoe but from the side i reckon 2ft would start to signal.
When i got mine the 19 coil was packed full of dirt , carefully pop the skid plate or bottom plastic off coil and gently clean in there, i think checking the cable from the coil for any crush marks would be a good start point , just a bruise can bugger things.

I am not saying there is a problem but there could be.

So I have ripped and cut off the old plastic that someone had put OVER the top of a coil cover!
I really dont think the 3kg of sand, grass and twigs between the coil cover and then the additional plastic would have helped ha ha :argh:

Forget air tests for starters, I have lost signals in holes I have been to lazy to dig big enough holes because of air between the coil and target, to only find it again after widening the hole enough to get coil in hole properly. Have not experienced different tones on the big coil but it does differ to the 14 and always clean coil covers.

Hi guys, I`m hoping to buy a new gpz bundle $10,499, but who is selling the best extras? so far `Reeds` seems the best, with hip stick, carrycase, control covers etc. I`m in NT and best offer here is bottle of hand cleaner, and collapse-able plastic caravan bucket!

Go with reed mate i was bit of a corner the other day after waiting for something for near 3 weeks off someone else rang them out of the blue because there on other side of the country they couldn't help me anymore stick with them there got my business they even they rang that arvo to make shure all is good just double checking, but get a cover for your wireless box speaker thing

100km2/no/au said:
Hi guys, I`m hoping to buy a new gpz bundle $10,499, but who is selling the best extras? so far `Reeds` seems the best, with hip stick, carrycase, control covers etc. I`m in NT and best offer here is bottle of hand cleaner, and collapse-able plastic caravan bucket!

Drop me an email, and I'll let you know of a couple of package options on the 7000.

[email protected]

I have been trying different settings with the 7000. One of them has been hy, normal, locate patch with sensitivity 6-8. This is in what I would say is between medium hot & very hot ground. This runs fairly smoothly but is good at picking up hot rocks. So far the smallest piece of gold has been .4. It appears to be giving better depth than running in difficult but I do have to drop it into difficult at times. Then I can go up to 14 or so sensitivity. This make any sense?
I should add that general, difficult is noisier in the same area, with I think loss of depth.
Shoukd locate patch be used whether in normal or diff?

"One of them has been hy, normal, locate patch with sensitivity 6-8"

Yes very powerful combo in the right ground. I wouldn't use this in very hot ground though.

"It appears to be giving better depth than running in difficult but I do have to drop it into difficult at times. Then I can go up to 14 or so sensitivity. This make any sense?"

Yep that is about the same as what I need to do here.

"Should locate patch be used whether in normal or diff?"

Locate Patch is great whenever the detector seems to be saturating, or can't "absorb" the ground signal. This sounds like the detector is moaning - a long drawn out response over the ground which improves when you start sweeping really slow but is still present. If you experience this, the first step is to drop the Sensitivity, but if this doesn't help it, put your Sensitivity back to where it was, and select Locate Patch.

PhaseTech said:
"One of them has been hy, normal, locate patch with sensitivity 6-8"

Yes very powerful combo in the right ground. I wouldn't use this in very hot ground though.

"It appears to be giving better depth than running in difficult but I do have to drop it into difficult at times. Then I can go up to 14 or so sensitivity. This make any sense?"

Yep that is about the same as what I need to do here.

"Should locate patch be used whether in normal or diff?"

Locate Patch is great whenever the detector seems to be saturating, or can't "absorb" the ground signal. This sounds like the detector is moaning - a long drawn out response over the ground which improves when you start sweeping really slow but is still present. If you experience this, the first step is to drop the Sensitivity, but if this doesn't help it, put your Sensitivity back to where it was, and select Locate Patch.
Thanks Nenad. One other thing, sometimes when I am fairly certain it is a hot rock I switch to difficult & if the signal disappears I move on. Is that wise?

That is fairly safe practise but only on a shallow target. If you get a faint deep sounding signal in Normal, and switch to Difficult and the signal disappears, it could be a nice deep nugget.

On our recent trip with new GPZ-7000 was fortunate enough to ping my first nugget in the first days. Not huge, but a real morale booster when I was struggling with settings on mineralised ground conditions. As mentioned in a previous post was fortunate enough to make mobile contact with Davsgold (Dave Dench)who gave me expert advice and didn't look back from there on. Thanks Dave. :Y:

New set of tyres, and water leak on caravan, new radiator in ute, we're ready to head out there again for a month.
(Dwell on caravan leak before moving on to regain some sanity, sure hope your sink tap doesn't begin to leak, you require two extra joints in your arms and extendable eye sockets + a full day spare. ***Rant over**)

With Dave's initial help with setting up GPZ and experimenting with every faint signal, came to conclusion that high yield/difficult, Target volume = 4, sensitivity = 16, threshold lowered to a hum away from mosquito for hearing loss as per detectors through the ages, was ideal for ground we were on.
After several days I realised my hearing had tuned into the threshold, almost ignoring the warble. Surface to one scrape targets down to 0.08 were sounding out very clear.
Looking forward to the coming month with this gained experience.

Good luck every one.

Hi Guys

will be in WA next year with GPZ 7000. Just some advice please:
If Z was to break something what parts could I take to ensure I can still use it?

It is a long way to travel from Melbourne and Kalgoorlie will be closest main town to where I plan to be. Is there even a Minelab stockist there?
cheers

Greg :pickshovel:

hookey13 said:
Hi Guys

will be in WA next year with GPZ 7000. Just some advice please:
If Z was to break something what parts could I take to ensure I can still use it?

It is a long way to travel from Melbourne and Kalgoorlie will be closest main town to where I plan to be. Is there even a Minelab stockist there?
cheers

Greg :pickshovel:

Hi Greg,

Finders Keepers at 282 Hannan Street should cover everthing that you may need.

https://www.finderskeepersgold.com

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts