Bendigo Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AM1990 said:
Thanks Brendomac.

I'm based in Melbourne so it's not too far to drive for me. I know of a few creeks in the golden triangle to try that have flow so I'll give those a go if I get the time.

I've been up to Reedy prospecting and camping a few times. Funnily enough I got stuck in my 2wd hilux and had to get pulled out. I did do something stupid though and went through a puddle that I had been through a few times no problem. Turns out the puddles had turned into huge holes in the road. Won't be making that mistake again.

Thanks for the info about miners den, I'll definitely pop in if I get the chance.

Thanks mate.

If you're out there you "MUST" have a winch and a UHF CB. Better luck next time.

Yeah I know Jaros. Won't be making that mistake again. Currently looking at 4x4s to buy in the near future. Luckily someone was nearby to pull me out. Literally as I got pulled out, another forum member turned up unexpectedly and proceeded to go through said holes with no problems. Made me laugh and swear at the same time.

No luck. Just got back to Melbourne so I was only there for 1 night. Didn't finish work until late both days so no chance to prospect. Shame, maybe next time.

Hello,
I am currently at bendigo for the week and was hoping to get 3-4 hours gold detecting on thursday. I was wondering where maybe some good grounds are or where i can legally detect. Is it worth me staying in bendigo or heading down to heatcote??

thanks for that, i dont think ill find small stuff with my detector but im happy to get out for the day

Hi Guys..ive just moved to Sutton Grange and was wondering what your ideas on the Sedgwick/Sutton Grange area might be for a bit of prospecting might be. I had a quick look through Pilchers Bridge Nature Reserve (just a drive through), and some places in there look not to bad. Not sure if thats a go zone or not..any info is a help..thanks!

Hi guys,

I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this in, but I just had a couple of questions regarding the general Bendigo area.

I've just spent a couple of weeks up there for work and in my spare time have driven and walked around the majority of the former mining areas, but apart from the small collapses/small open shafts/exposed tunnels at Diamond Hill and Lightning Hill at Eaglehawk I didn't find anywhere that hadn't been capped or bulldozed. I like the historical aspect of mining rather than finding the yellow stuff and try to photograph what remains as much as possible. Found plenty of foundations and mullock heaps to keep my interest up but was disappointed not to find any shafts or adits, even in what i considered the more obscure out of the way locations. So my question to any locals is are there any locations of interest (open shafts/tunnels) left around Bendigo left or was I just wasting my time?

Second question is does anyone know what the story is with the small headframe above a capped shaft at the corner of Tucker St and Stanistreet Crescent near Golden Square? I assume it was built for exploration purposes in recent times but i've been unable to find any reference to it online to ascertain what era it was built and so on. From one of the maps I have it may be the 'Old Whip' mine. I did attempt to put a link to google maps street view but I have had enough posts to do it.

Lastly, near Diamond Hill inside the Spring Gully reservoir fence line I could see several ruins that looked in pretty good condition. Google maps also shows the remains of machinery foundations and several large mullock heaps. Has anyone had the opportunity to explore the area or is aware of any historical surveys or similar that Coliban Water have conducted? Again i've not been able to find any evidence online.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided!

Hey guys,

Im trying to find somewhere that can show the locations of creeks etc that would potentially be worth prospecting in around the bendigo area.

Im happy to do the required research on any Im just having trouble finding them in general.

Cheers

hey mate, living in Bendigo i would assume anywhere you can find bed rock and water is worth panning.
jump on google maps and look for water ways on public land, cross reference the names of these creeks and streams with the exempted rivers list and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I've noticed after I posted this that I could possibly find out more information on GeoVic. So i'll probably start there as I didn't completely understand it until after i'd watched a different video in these forums explaining how to use the site.

Hi Everyone,
new to the forum :pickshovel: and we are heading to Bendigo this weekend for some detector prospecting (first time in the area), and without giving away too many secrets, is there a good area to hit to show the family what's still out there? We have done a fair bit around the Maryborough area with limited success...
any help appreciated ;)

Giving away secret spots = destruction like unfilled holes and promotion like U Tube videos.
If you are not finding any gold and disappointed by your rewards for efforts there is little any person / member can do by giving you a spot.

Why do people keep asking for spots?

my apologies everyone - I certainly wasn't meaning or intending to ask for any secret spot :( - I completely agree research and own adventures finds the best results.... probably a badly worded question from my part.

All I was seeking advice on was any area to have a look in... I've heard of Whipstix, but are there any other good areas suitable for a family of 5 to wander around in around the general Bendigo area?
I'll be sourcing some maps and reference material to start with too... :perfect:
Cheers

Latest posts