Fisher Gold Bug Pro information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day !

I'm new to this, and looking for a detector for gold and fossicking.

After doing a lot of research, im stuck between a fisher gold bug pro and minelab gold monster 1000.

I have a budget of around a grand.

Does anyone have a preference? or recommendation?

Cheers!
:cool:

Welcome Sweetteeg, probably should have introduced yourself and give us a little bio about yourself :) in the intro section.

Anyway welcome.

Where are you searching and what are your expectations? What are you primarily searching for?
Where are you located? This usually tends to help us direct you.

There are a number of supporters of this forum who have retail outlets and tend to offer some really good advice and deals.

Maybe contact these guys and have a chat.

Nenad- http://phasetechnical.com.au/
Maldon Gold shop: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=415457#p415457

And there are others, also some secondhand gear available on the forum.

Cheers

My bad Harry,

My partner is dead keen to look for gold and relics, jewellery around the north east of Victoria, we are 20 minutes from Beechworth and Yackandandah, on the Victorian /NSW border

No real expectations, but it would be nice if the detector eventually paid for itself, lol

Dont think too many people find enough to pay for the detector.
Unless you are lucky enough to be in WA.

You may also consider the Minelab Equinox 600 or 800 as well. But some of the suppliers may assist you.
https://www.minelab.com/equinox

Met a guy last weekend out the bush (Inglewood) using a new Makro GOLD KRUZER 61kHz Waterproof Detector and he loved it, searching for Gold and around $1200 new an interesting device. Really cool menus etc.

But really have a chat to a supplier and do some google searching for feedback.
Where you want to search is not too mineralised so should be good with other devices.

Cheers

Hi guys,
My first post.
After much research, mainly on this forum, I have decide that a Fisher Gold Bug Pro is the best starter for me and my daughter to start/share with.
It will mainly be used for gold hunting on camping trips (Creswick etc)
My concern/query is battery life on these detectors.

I've read that they have a 15 hour battery life which leads to a couple of questions.
1) Is that enough for a weekend detecting?
2) Is it worth getting a second battery pack?
3) Do you guys recharge whilst out?

Regards

Anthony

Gold bug pro takes a standard 9v battery
You could get a disposable or rechargeable from any supermarket. Cheep insurance compared to the fuel money etc most of us pay to get to our favorite spot x :pickshovel:

Get a twin pack of decent quality alkaline 9 volt batteries, that should be more than enough for a weekend away on the goldbug. I have the teknetics G2 which is essentially the same detector, and it lasts ages on a single 9 volt, rechargables will tend to drain a lot quicker than say a normal duracell or energizer 9v. Always good insurance to carry a spare 9v for either the detector or pinpointer.

Icarusvonlubey said:
I've read that they have a 15 hour battery life which leads to a couple of questions.
1) Is that enough for a weekend detecting?
2) Is it worth getting a second battery pack?
3) Do you guys recharge whilst out?

The Bunnings Varta batteries, which come in a pack, will give you up to 20 hours on the machine. They're inexpensive and remarkably good for the price.