Avenza - Doug Stone Gold Maps & Parks Vic Prospecting Maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This month's NAPFA Newsletter had a heads up on Doug Stone's maps now becoming available on Avenza http://www.avenza.com/avenza-maps
They are the same price as the paper version $14.99 each. There are 4 available already for NSW (Hill End, Hargraves, Stuart Town & Sofala-Wattle Flat) & some for Victoria. I have downloaded the android version + some NSW maps & they are pretty good - handy to have on your phone if you are looking at these maps. All works offline via GPS - no phone/data service required.
The Parks Vic Prospecting Maps are also available on Avenza for FREE as well as numerous topographic maps (topo maps are pretty chunky - high MB if using phone) for $1.49 each.
:Y:

Thanks, haven't checked it out yet BUT may be a good alternative as he has published a new Victorian edition of his book of maps .... may save having to buy the new book if you can just download the new ones you're interested in.
Cheers T.

Has anyone bought the Avenza version of Doug Stones' Gold Atlas? Converting US$ to A$ they seem about the same price as paper. I bought a single map, was interesting to use but locations were offset by about 50m. Anyone else find this?

I checked the Hill End NSW one & it seemed fairly accurate to where I was. Probably within 10m or so but not 50m out? Might be your GPS device?
I wouldn't be using these types of maps for 100% accurate location/direction anyway. IMO they are only useful as a general guide for the localities - showing where some old workings are etc. They are only really any good for unfamiliar areas to get you started.

The wife just bought me a Lenovo Tab 8 for my birthday for the sole purpose of using it for prospecting, Avenza looks like the way to go and I'll use her pre-paid wireless router thingy for Internet while bush to access geovic and GE when there's signal.
Look forward to learning new ways.

ctxkid said:
new techniques can be and are very rewarding , i recommend the purchase of Oziexplorer and some hema maps, lpi topos , as long as the tablet has gps
Thanks for the recommendations, I used to have a Hema 6 unit which I never spent the time to utilize properly so only used it as an on road nav which still worked well on the dirt until it packed up a few months back, I'm ready to put my brain into learning mode and utilize technology better than I have been but happy to have my hard copy maps as backup and cross reference material.
The Lenovo Tab 8 has GPS and one of the reviews I read this morning on it said the user was using it mainly for maps etc so hopefully it will work ok for me.
Appreciate the help :Y:

ProspectorPete said:
The Lenovo Tab 8 has GPS and one of the reviews I read this morning on it said the user was using it mainly for maps etc so hopefully it will work ok for me. Appreciate the help :Y:

no worries , ozi is cool and will work for you well , the 8inch screen will be better to use than the hn6 :cool:

grab a mount for it to go in the car , awesome :perfect:

an hey i might have some maps ;)

I just bought the Doug Stone digital maps on the Avenza app and they seem great. Much easier to find old diggings that peering at paper maps. You get a cross hair from your phones GPS exactly where you are. Plus Government prospecting maps are on there free! Hope this helps. PS Heathcote is missing but Doug told me it should be coming soon.

It amazes me that more people dont use advenza maps. Even the free maps are extremely useful

Hey everyone

I recently found the Avenza Mapping app and have downloaded a couple of Doug Stone's maps. The problem I have though is that in don't know what some of the mapping symbols mean. I've been searching for a map legend and can't find one to help me understand what I'm looking at. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!