Sleeping Bag recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get 2 winter sleeping bags from aldi, one inside the other, $40 total, better than every other option imho. This coming from someone who use to use the snugpak osprey until it was stolen.

Who makes the best bag that can have two zipped into one big one. I hate being closto and restricted. Then not being able to find the zip in the middle of the night, near pizzing yourself before you can get out of the damned things!!

I'm like you Mudgee Hunter, I hate being constricted, sleeping bag always opened up and used like a quilt. If chilly break out the hot water bottle or the old army blanket as well.

The 4wd supacentre bag is a good idea with the two ratings -5 or + 5 with the internal liner removed.

Really depends on what matters to you. I use Superdown because I work in Polar regions (but great in the mountains here in winter) - no synthetic is as good as dry down. It also rolls up into a smaller space by far (so good for backpacking). None of these you show are down. Negatives are it is expensive and need to keep dry. Would not consider it under wet conditions. Otherwise search reviews.

So what do you want it for - warmth, dry conditions, small space. For general camping out of my 4x4 I use a nice spacey synthetic bag and carry a duna!

I really like the idea that a forum member put up which was, uses a Space Blanket underneath or I think a Truckers Shade might have been the original idea.
Mackka

VicGoldHunter said:

Where and when will you use it ?

On the Ground or on a bed/stretcher ?

Tent/camper/caravan ?

I still use my old Paddymade Hotham super down bag I bought in the late '70's. It's as warm as, and comfortable down to minus temps, on top of a self inflating mattress. In really cold weather I unzip it and use a supplementary quilt on top.

I've been in the swag at - 7 ot 8 and have been very comfortable even though the canvas was frozen solid.

As others have pointed out, bag liners can make a big difference. Don't expect to have a comfortable night at the lowest temp advertised for the bag, but you won't die!

As most of us use cars and are not backpacking, it's easy to throw in some extra insulation in case conditions get severe.

For winter - 5 or higher depending on how you feel the cold and summer a zero rating generally works well for me in my swag. Old woollen blankets work a treat as an underlay beneath your mattress in winter and are compact for use of space/packing in your vehicle.

Mine are Rated down to -50*c, And I have Fleece liners if I want to use them in even colder weather, I know of one person who use the same bag in -56*c In Bosnia in the 1990's So I think it will do every thing I need. :zzz: :zzz:

But saying that it works ok in warmer weather too, I have slept in it at about 12 to 14*c as well, It's a good Idea always to use a cotton or silk liner because they are a lot easier to wash that a sleeping bag and they dry out quicker too, I washed one of mine last year and when it was soaking wet it must of weighed 120 - 140kgs, I was surprized how much water it held, So that's another good reason to use a liner plus they keep the bag smelling fresher. :cool: :Y:

goldierocks said:
Really depends on what matters to you. I use Superdown because I work in Polar regions (but great in the mountains here in winter) - no synthetic is as good as dry down. It also rolls up into a smaller space by far (so good for backpacking). None of these you show are down. Negatives are it is expensive and need to keep dry. Would not consider it under wet conditions. Otherwise search reviews.

So what do you want it for - warmth, dry conditions, small space. For general camping out of my 4x4 I use a nice spacey synthetic bag and carry a duna!

Down is excellent and I already have a down hiking bag which is sea to summit, 5 degree comfort rating and I bought a Thermo liner for it. Im sure this would keep me warm but last time I took it camping temp got down to maybe 5-7 and I wasnt cold exactly but could tell any colder and I would of felt uncomfortable.

xcvator said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Where and when will you use it ?

On the Ground or on a bed/stretcher ?

Tent/camper/caravan ?

Vic gold fields or wherever else I go camping, will be a tent or swag.

I have an American Military Sleeping system Bag.
There are 3 parts to it.
It is even designed to wear your boots just in case
you have to make a hasty retreat hence it is non
constrictive.
At minus 10 if you wear a few cloths, It can make you sweat. LOL
I got mine for $180.00 including postage.

Bloody Good Value and very versatile.
I sleep on a Oz Trail camp cot with a 4 inch foam mattress and and eggshell mattress on top.

mudgee hunter said:
Who makes the best bag that can have two zipped into one big one. I hate being closto and restricted. Then not being able to find the zip in the middle of the night, near pizzing yourself before you can get out of the damned things!!

I second the idea of using a space blanket underneath your bed mat (between the ground and whatever mat you are sleeping on) I saw it on the forum here too, I used it last year in -5. I reckon it helped. That said, I was using the big 4wd supacentre sleeping bag with the in-built liner plus a blanket over the top.