Cleaning & Cutting Quartz

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone could advise on how to clean up this piece of quartz crystal I found.

1557269839_20190508_082546_-_copy.jpg

I bought some deck cleaner which is 1-10% oxalic acid but not sure if that's ideal or not, would it be best to just throw it in the straight solution and soak it before scrubbing it clean or will I need something a bit more concentrated?

I would also like to cut it down where the blue lines are marked and am unsure what to use for cutting it?

I was thinking of using a dremel but it's too big for that.

Thanks,

TG.

You may never remove the staining as it's in the quartz, not on the Quartz. That looks like the best you will get it.. Sometimes you need to try several times before you get any sort of result... And it could also fall apart if you cut it.....
Remember Quartz contains Silica, a very deadly substance if inhaled... So as Wishfull has said, wear a good quality dust mask or better still a Respirator....

LW....

I would also like to cut it down where the blue lines are marked and am unsure what to use for cutting it?

You will need a drop saw or slab saw. The slab saw will need to have a blade large enough to cut through rather than a smaller saw blade that will need unclamping the stone and cutting in reverse.

I soaked my quartz in 50/50 deck cleaning solution, I think I scrubbed them every 6 or so hours until they came out clean

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's been soaking in straight deck solution and have just been hitting it with the wire brush every so often and it seems to be cleaning up quite well.

Might just skip trying to cut it now, I don't have the tools and it definitely sounds as though the dust is nasty stuff, appreciate the safety tip.

-TG

Ideally cut it with a WET saw with a good flow of water to bind the dust particles
and allow you to see where you are cutting as the muck is washed away.

Any dust in the lungs is bad news.

Thin Diamond blade and water.

Is there a Rock Gem Club nearby ? They may welcome a new member, and most have all the tools and machines you would need to use.

Even just for the odd bits you may do, it could be worth joining and getting the benefit of the knowledge, equipment and common interest shared.

;)

I've been using Digger's Rust and Stain Remover on some Amethyst & Quartz I found recently at Kuridala. It's 100% Oxalic Acid in powder form. After a couple of weeks soaking and brushing every so often, I gave them a blast with a pressure cleaner and most of the dirt and staining was gone. Most Lapidary clubs are only too willing to cut up rocks. You might have to pay a nominal fee but it wouldn't be much, I wouldn't think, and it would be done properly and safetly.

Latest posts