Getting gems cut in Sydney?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My late father did some fossicking in the US about 50 years ago

I have a tie pin he had made, and 4 roughs that were labelled sapphires. For sentimental reasons, wed love to get a few of the gems cut/polished to make into a ring.

Can anyone let me know where to go in Sydney and whether is worth it?
1556976408_053a0f5b-e307-4107-acd1-ad7c0f02445c.jpg

Sounds like sentimental reasons makes doing something worth it.

The quality of the rough stones will steer the answer as to what can be done. Options are faceting, cabbing or skin polishing.

I am on the north side, what suburb are you in ?

Thanks Wally,

Northside works - Im in the Ryde area.

Wally69 said:

The quality of the rough stones will steer the answer as to what can be done. Options are faceting, cabbing or skin polishing.

Curlywhirls said:
Thanks Wally,

Northside works - Im in the Ryde area.

Wally69 said:

I have sent you an email with my contact details using the forum email link provided, let me know if you dont see it come through.

There are some forum rules that limit functionality until a member reaches 10 posts, so I am not 100% confident you will receive it. After you have made 10 posts on the forum you will be able to use the private message board.

I have found a photo of some of my cabbed sapphires.

1557181160_5ac61f9d-4e42-45bd-811b-6dbc4998aabb.jpg

They are the natural shape, one is a hexagonal crystal, the other was waterworn into a pebble. I flattened the base and slightly domed the top and polished. If you look closely, you will note these stones have some surface imperfections as I tried to retain as much size as I could.

Both of these stones could have been shaped into a perfect circle but the size reduction would have been in the order 20%. A faceted stone may only end up at about 30% of the original size.

Hope this helps

Latest posts