Absolute Newbie Needs Help.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to all at this forum, this is my first visit.

I am 72 years old and have no prospecting experience.

However I was shown where there was a gold reef 50 years ago.

I think I can find the location again, but need help from an experienced prospector with
a good metal detector and a miners license.

Please email me if you are interested for further details.

Cheers,
Kitty.

Welcome to P.A. Kitty--hope you find it again and put up some pics with the location services turned off on your phone. It's under advanced settings in my Huawei.
Jaros

Ok, here is the short version of a very long story.
Around 52 years ago in a remote area of North Eastern Victoria my husband [now deceased] and I were camping in the bush next to a creek. The road which was in ear shot had less than one car or truck per week rattling past. After around 16 days, a car stopped and a man who introduced himself as the local dingo hunter came into our camp. He gave us a rabbit he had trapped and half a dozen oranges. We invited him for a cup of billy tea and some damper. He warned us that we were camped not too far from an eccentric old man's house who would not hesitate to shoot anyone on sight, we should be careful not to trespass on his property.

A week later the dingo hunter returned with another rabbit and informed us that our gun toting neighbour would like to meet us and if we were willing he would take us to his house and introduce us. We accepted the invitation and that is how we met = let's call him MrX.
Mr. X turned out to be a 75 year old man, sorely in need of human company. When we asked him why he would shoot anyone who came on his property, he told us because people thought mistakenly that he had a stash of gold and they were all out to rob him.

Over the next few days I cooked for him and he took us to show us all the mine shafts around the area and how to dig for wombats.
Mr. X did not have a car and peddled his bike once a fortnight to the nearest town [ which was a long way away], to pick up his pension check. As we had a car we offered to drive him to town that week. He picked up his pension check but instead of paying for his groceries with cash he paid everyone with gold.

After a couple of weeks it was time for us to go back to Sydney. Mr. X was terribly distressed and begged us to stay for good. We explained that we had to get back to work our holiday was over, if we stayed with him, what would we do for a living. He grabbed a shovel and a couple of gold pans and told us to follow him. We walked a way through the bush whilst mr X explained to us that he has never shown anyone where he got his fortnightly gold from. If we stayed with him we could make more money than in any job. He explained that his family had been mining gold in the area for over 70 years - and although they made a good living they never found the mother load. he found the reef they had been looking for several years after his parents passed. To demonstrate the amount of gold he placed a shovel load of dirt into each gold pan from his secret spot. We then had a torturous walk to the nearest mosquito infested creek where he showed us how to pan the gold. The result was 2 ounces of gold. In those days gold fetched $35 an ounce.

We thanked him and told him his secret was safe with us but as I was pregnant with my first child and we had good jobs to go to, we had to decline his offer.

We kept in contact with Mr X until he died. After he died the townspeople ransacked his house looking for the gold and when they didn't find any they burnt his house down and dug underneath the house.
I firmly believe I can find the spot again and with the gold prices of today it would be well worth the effort.
My partner has heart and kidney failure and too frail for such an adventure.
I myself have no experience in staking claims or prospecting.

I would like to find someone who is interested in finding out if the gold is still there.

Cheers,
Kitty.

HoudiniHarry said:
HoudiniHarry said:
Hi Kitty, welcome. Your general location may help us assist you.
Cheers
Yes i meant state and maybe general location like Bendigo. This will assist dont need to know exactly.

cheers hh

Ok, here is the short version of a very long story.
Around 52 years ago in a remote area of North Eastern Victoria my husband [now deceased] and I were camping in the bush next to a creek. The road which was in ear shot had less than one car or truck per week rattling past. After around 16 days, a car stopped and a man who introduced himself as the local dingo hunter came into our camp. He gave us a rabbit he had trapped and half a dozen oranges. We invited him for a cup of billy tea and some damper. He warned us that we were camped not too far from an eccentric old man's house who would not hesitate to shoot anyone on sight, we should be careful not to trespass on his property.

A week later the dingo hunter returned with another rabbit and informed us that our gun toting neighbour would like to meet us and if we were willing he would take us to his house and introduce us. We accepted the invitation and that is how we met = let's call him MrX.
Mr. X turned out to be a 75 year old man, sorely in need of human company. When we asked him why he would shoot anyone who came on his property, he told us because people thought mistakenly that he had a stash of gold and they were all out to rob him.

Over the next few days I cooked for him and he took us to show us all the mine shafts around the area and how to dig for wombats.
Mr. X did not have a car and peddled his bike once a fortnight to the nearest town [ which was a long way away], to pick up his pension check. As we had a car we offered to drive him to town that week. He picked up his pension check but instead of paying for his groceries with cash he paid everyone with gold.

After a couple of weeks it was time for us to go back to Sydney. Mr. X was terribly distressed and begged us to stay for good. We explained that we had to get back to work our holiday was over, if we stayed with him, what would we do for a living. He grabbed a shovel and a couple of gold pans and told us to follow him. We walked a way through the bush whilst mr X explained to us that he has never shown anyone where he got his fortnightly gold from. If we stayed with him we could make more money than in any job. He explained that his family had been mining gold in the area for over 70 years - and although they made a good living they never found the mother load. he found the reef they had been looking for several years after his parents passed. To demonstrate the amount of gold he placed a shovel load of dirt into each gold pan from his secret spot. We then had a torturous walk to the nearest mosquito infested creek where he showed us how to pan the gold. The result was 2 ounces of gold. In those days gold fetched $35 an ounce.

We thanked him and told him his secret was safe with us but as I was pregnant with my first child and we had good jobs to go to, we had to decline his offer.

We kept in contact with Mr X until he died. After he died the townspeople ransacked his house looking for the gold and when they didn't find any they burnt his house down and dug underneath the house.
I firmly believe I can find the spot again and with the gold prices of today it would be well worth the effort.
My partner has heart and kidney failure and too frail for such an adventure.
I myself have no experience in staking claims or prospecting.

I would like to find someone who is interested in finding out if the gold is still there.

Cheers,
Kitty.

Welcome. What a fantastic story! I love an adventure and am more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Maybe the kids can join in too if you take me up on the offer of assistance.
But irrespective of that I wish you the very best and good fortune in your quest. Keep us informed and hope you strike it lucky.
Very exciting!

I am a NE Vic prospector and partner with some of the most experienced prospectors in the NE. Also a retired exploration geologist. Depending where you were in NE Vic we, between us, probably know the area. Drop me a line.

Araluen

SWright said:
I am a NE Vic prospector and partner with some of the most experienced prospectors in the NE. Also a retired exploration geologist. Depending where you were in NE Vic we, between us, probably know the area. Drop me a line.

Araluen

Hi SWeight,
Thanks for your offer of help.
I am reluctant to post my email or phone number publicly here and don't yet have enough posts to message you privately, so I can't drop you a line.

I would like to give you a call to discuss further. If you could message me and give me your phone number at:

{http://kimbro.net/contact/}

I will give you a call.
Or if you have any other suggestions on how to contact you?

Cheers,
Kitty.

diggit said:
Welcome. What a fantastic story! I love an adventure and am more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Maybe the kids can join in too if you take me up on the offer of assistance.
But irrespective of that I wish you the very best and good fortune in your quest. Keep us informed and hope you strike it lucky.
Very exciting!

Hi Diggit. Thanks for the reply, where are you located?

Cheers,
Kitty.

kimbro said:
diggit said:
Very exciting!

Hi Diggit. Thanks for the reply, where are you located?

Cheers,
Kitty.

I emailed you yesterday. I'll send on details. :Y:

A Reef? Panning in creek just raw gravels, 2 ounce per pan?
Already getting heaps of interest in this post from other members?

A Reef deposit still in the ground would be very difficult to just go to with a shovel and pan all the free gold.
Free gold is gold that is completely eroded outed of the host rock, like quartz.

You say you have no prospecting experience other than your chance meet with the old timer?
Gold deposits are seldom consistantly rich, the ore grade varies.

Since gold was $35 an ounce much has changed in regards to prospecting regulations, the area if you could locate it, may be within a National Park,
where prospecting is prohibited or other land classification where significant restrictions apply? It can be hard sometimes to find an area you went to
years ago, as fires, growth of vegetation change the look of the landscape.

I like your story, though i think you would be very lucky to locate it?
If you do be careful who you share the location with as Rich Deposits change people. :eek:

Swinging & digging said:
A Reef? Panning in creek just raw gravels, 2 ounce per pan?
Already getting heaps of interest in this post from other members?

A Reef deposit still in the ground would be very difficult to just go to with a shovel and pan all the free gold.
Free gold is gold that is completely eroded outed of the host rock, like quartz.

You say you have no prospecting experience other than your chance meet with the old timer?
Gold deposits are seldom consistantly rich, the ore grade varies.

Since gold was $35 an ounce much has changed in regards to prospecting regulations, the area if you could locate it, may be within a National Park,
where prospecting is prohibited or other land classification where significant restrictions apply? It can be hard sometimes to find an area you went to
years ago, as fires, growth of vegetation change the look of the landscape.

I like your story, though i think you would be very lucky to locate it?
If you do be careful who you share the location with as Rich Deposits change people. :eek:

Thanks for your info Swinging & Digging. You have addressed a lot of my concerns here. That is why I need someone who is experienced to help me.
Cheers,
Kitty.

Latest posts