A question on Park etiquette.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTKooAu

Grant Westbrook
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have only just started hunting for treasure. Using a second hand GMZ. I hit a beach in Adelaide last week and come out with a junk ring, $7.00ish, a rock of coke and a coin that used to be a penny, but that is now flat with no writing visible, and a faint mark where the queens head used to be!
1384818707_treasure1.jpg

.....and a pile of beer caps :(
I am now thinking of hitting some parks, and my question is, what is the best method of digging to retrieve the targets in a lawn area? without trashing the place or is that frowned upon? Is there a method or any special tools that you use (a corer comes to mind)
Would be grateful for any insights.

TT

Here are a few general rules of mine.

• Try and avoid parks during peak times[/*]
  • Always be respectful of the ground you're digging and the people around you[/*]
  • If at all possible, try and limit your digging to no more than 25cms x 25cms in public areas[/*]
  • Always dispose of any trash you dig up[/*]
  • Always fill in your holes "properly"[/*]

Tools

Shovels are handy but can be intimidating, so I would avoid carrying one around in public. I'd suggest getting one of the tools listed below or similar.

Pin Pointing

Next up you should know how to Pin Point correctly, this will prevent excessive damage to the lawn as well as reduce your recovery time. It pays to get yourself a handheld Pin Pointer if you haven't already got one.

Recovery Method

Lastly, you'll need to know how to cut a plug correctly. This basically involves cutting a round plug (20cm wide x 20cm deep as an example), ensuring you make your cut almost vertical. Cutting too much on an angle will slice through the grass roots essentially killing the grass over the next several days.

Here is an example of a plug that I found online.

1384821494_img00090-20110420-1134-300x225.jpg

Once you're done extracting the target, you should be able to slot the plug back into the ground, give it a bit of a pat down and away you go. In most cases you won't be able to tell you were ever there.

I hope that helps.

Nugget.

I used a butter knife to up until recently, I found it was fine to dig small plugs. However when the soil got dry (Canberra summer dry) it was next to impossible to dig, I would end up with heaps of blisters for little reward 8.(
Recently I had hip surgery (not even 40 yet :( ) and after getting mobile again I still wanted to get out there. I found that bending/kneeling was just too painful, so I upgraded to a long handled shovel. It's embarrassing detecting with a shovel, but because I was desperate to metal detect, I dealt with it. I did noticed people started to take a wide berth when passing me... lol. The shovel is great for making a nice large clean cut plugs and retrieving objects from hole is 10x faster than using the butter knife. Just doesn't feel right though...
My flexibility has improved quite a lot now, so last week I ordered myself the Garrett digging tool. I have watched many YouTube clips with people using them. They seem to be quite strong (part of the reason I use a butter knife, it doesn't break like everything else!), easy to use and they come with a nifty pouch so you can hang it from your belt.

SF

Cheers Ned and Silver Fox.

I like the measure on the blade Ned. What is the notch at the tip for? What is the brand, and available in Oz? And yes, this is 20 Questions!
Appreciate your help.

TT

I use these 2 diggers in parks.
The large one I made from an old shovel head. Only use it away from manicured lawns.
When I cut a plug with it I only cut 3 sides, leaving the roots attached on the 4th.
That way I don't sever all the roots and can simply fold the plug back into place.

1384836165_diggers.jpg

TTKooAu said:
Nice homemader Ramjet, as an old sheetmetal worker it catches my eye :lol:
I watched a YouTube vid today showing the 3 sided plug, makes good sense.

Cheers TT

I should have said it's not my design. Copied it from pro models I'd seen online.
Could be a bit narrower to make the hole smaller.

Hi TTKOOAu,

The Brand is "True Temper" and I bought it from Bunnings a few years ago. It cost $13.95. It is a digging/transplanting tool/trowel and it is very solid. It is heavy (3mm?) Stainless Steel blade and a good strong plastic handle with a hole to fit a cord. It is 12" long (6" Blade/6" Handle). The blade is serrated along one side and knife edge on the other.
The Measurements are in 1 inch increments and are stamped onto both blade and handle. There is a sharpened slot on the blade edge for cutting string. The notch in the nose is for lifting weeds.
regards Ned

If you cut the plug out right round the grass will die every time unless it is really wet, best cut 2/3 round and lift it up and then get coin out and for shallow targets use a probe and a screwdriver this does minimal damage
If a council mower runs over a full round plug it will lift it out and then it leaves holes everywhere for the sake of everyone try not to even leave a trace you have been there

For the first time ever duck, I'm going to have to disagree with you on something :eek:

Grass doesn't need to remain attached to keep on living (providing the cut is fairly vertical and not too diagonal), my mother in law cuts plugs clean out the ground and replants them in areas where the grass isn't growing with a very high success rate.

I do agree it's possible they could get sucked up by the council mower though :lol:

my favourite is a gurka knife of kukri knife, just the cheap made in India or napal $15-$20 ones. i also use a 400mm long tire lever. this dry Queensland weather broke (rock hard soil) so many of my garden tools. go to the markets & look for old cheap tools.

I agree that not cutting all the way makes the neatest fold back return of a plug to the good earth.

Hi all,
Just thought I would do an update on my treasure collection.
Hope you had a good Xmas and NY. I found myself with a week to kill, and I spent one day at the beach and another doing some parks.
Beach No.1 find-of-the-day was the $20 note.... who knew the GMZ was a paper detector! I saw a red triangle sticking up through the sand and thought it was some red foil until it didn't register when I flicked over it.... then I thought hmmmmmm. Did a little happy dance :lol:
1389051520_loot.jpg

Runner-up find-of-the-day was the badge, a miniature Moonee Valley Racing Club 2004 Cox Plate badge (won by Savabeel....again who knew!) Thought it was solid gold edging at first, but I see the 2010 version on eBay for $15.00 so I am doubting my first impression!
1389051546_badge.jpg

Three local parks accounted for almost all of the coins.
Loving my new hobby!

Latest posts