Pyrite in quartz vien

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a big patch of pyrite in a quartz vein. What is the likelihood of it containing gold??

Hunting the yellow said:
ben2363 said:
Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef
In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?

My observations were that the gold was not contained in or in contact with the pyrite. There was however plenty of gold in the quartz veins in the same vicinity. This was from a underground narrow vein gold mine in a very well known gold feild.
Crush and sample would be the only way to know for sure.

In the old reports a mine in the same tonne was getting 10oz to a tonne by ccrushing and possessing the pyrites..

As the pyrite is in the quartz and also the host rock ill have to go back and get a sample and see

Gold in pyrite is tricky. Firstly, you need to be sure that the pyrite is of the same age as the gold (a geologist can tell, but it is tricky for anyone else). Secondly, when gold does occur in pyrite and arsenopyrite, it can be extremely rich in some cases e.g more than 10 oz/tonne but so fine that if you dolly it, it can float on water simply because of the surface tension of water (less than one micron grain size). No easy answer, try dollying it - otherwise assay is the only way.

goldierocks said:
. No easy answer, try dollying it - otherwise assay is the only way.
Could the test using Stannous chloride to indicate the presence of Gold be used on a sample of crushed Pyrite.?

You have some good answers to your OP question above so I dont need to add anything , just sharing these pics though.

I have had this speci for years , its got some weight in it but its been packed away and I have never waved a detector over it , pyrite is well bonded under the quartz , its about 4 inches long.

1556269921_ad45bf03-3103-45dd-8336-fe7f98477d55.jpg

1556270145_pyrite_and.jpg

goldierocks said:
Hunting the yellow said:
ben2363 said:

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef
In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?

I said in-between the slate and vain as an indicator to gold I've found this handy because in some places there's gold in the quartz reef. not in/with the gold directly/combined to it chemically. are you a qualified geologist ?? or even worked in the mining industry ? because most of the things you say don't make much sense to me maybe not enough actual field study and more just reading of books on geology.

crustydog said:
My observations were that the gold was not contained in or in contact with the pyrite. There was however plenty of gold in the quartz veins in the same vicinity. This was from a underground narrow vein gold mine in a very well known gold feild.
Crush and sample would be the only way to know for sure.

yes that is what I mean like a sandwich quartz vain in the middle slate both sides and pyrite in-between the slate and quartz reef have found this to be a valuable indicator as gold is sometimes found in the quartz reef.

CreviceSucker said:
You have some good answers to your OP question above so I dont need to add anything , just sharing these pics though.

I have had this speci for years , its got some weight in it but its been packed away and I have never waved a detector over it , pyrite is well bonded under the quartz , its about 4 inches long.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...9921_ad45bf03-3103-45dd-8336-fe7f98477d55.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1556270145_pyrite_and.jpg

beautiful specimen

Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:
Hunting the yellow said:
ben2363 said:

I said in-between the slate and vain as an indicator to gold I've found this handy because in some places there's gold in the quartz reef. not in/with the gold directly/combined to it chemically. are you a qualified geologist ?? or even worked in the mining industry ? because most of the things you say don't make much sense to me maybe not enough actual field study and more just reading of books on geology.

You're not doing yourself any favours by questioning the credentials of one of the most highly-qualified and experienced contributors to PA, mate.

From https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=125651#p125651:
goldierocks said:
I graduated 45 years ago and have a PhD in it and have been a full-time geology lecturer, researcher (eg CSIRO gold research group) and gold explorer ever since, on four continents, and have found some mines, one gold mine still operating

Hunting the yellow said:
goldierocks said:
Hunting the yellow said:
ben2363 said:

Probably, combined with many decades consulting to the mining industry on gold, on many continents, and finding at least one gold mine :)

Always thought I was qualified :(

All tongue in cheek - what I told you was correct though...

I think someone else not you made that as a general comment - you only provided the information about how the pyrite occurred in the same way in your example AFTER I replied to you. I would agree pyrite of that type is probably the same age as the gold. Not clear what " most of the things" were that you disagreed with. Happy to give examples if you clarify.

Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark

Ward69 said:
Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark
Sorry I don't understand the question (I went to Todays Finds and it seems to relate to coins)?

Latest posts