Identification help...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could really use some help trying to identify the gem stones in this rock.. any ideas at all??
1555900277_screenshot_20190422-122917_gallery.jpg

Do you mean the minerals (don't see any gemstones)

I see quartz (white, also a clear crystal), probable calcite (quite transparent) and a third mineral that a photo cannot identify. In fact without things like hardness, streak and SG it is almost impossible to identify minerals, even if photos help a lot (especially good photos like this). The unknown looks cubic (there might even be a fourth, I don't know if a trick of lighting is giving one mineral two apparent colours).

goldierocks said:

I see quartz (white, also a clear crystal), probable calcite (quite transparent) and a third mineral that a photo cannot identify. In fact without things like hardness, streak and SG it is almost impossible to identify minerals, even if photos help a lot (especially good photos like this). The unknown looks cubic (there might even be a fourth, I don't know if a trick of lighting is giving one mineral two apparent colours).

Sorry yeah i did mean the minerals.. there's definite quatz. What i am most interested in the the deep red highly relflective raspberry colours..

EastGippyPanner said:
goldierocks said:

Sorry yeah i did mean the minerals.. there's definite quatz. What i am most interested in the the deep red highly relflective raspberry colours..
Really need a more detailed photo of them - and some properties

Goldpick said:
...also muscovite.
Bit doubtful about muscovite - I think those clear slivers are more likely cleavage flakes of calcite or gypsum (probably calcite). However even simple hardness information would resolve that.....gypsum 2, calcite 3, muscovite max 4 (depends on direction).