Advice on a getting sapphire I found cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to get a sapphire I recently found in Inverell cut. Its 10.2 carats rough but has a small inclusion/crack on one of the edges. Otherwise quite clear!
Im not sure what the best way to go about finding someone to cut it is?

Thank you!!

1555995628_69df1af5-8419-483b-96c7-97407e733b07.jpeg

1555995628_d648c8cc-c46b-4941-af4e-713772c80fa2.jpg

1555995628_e027e67d-8d8e-4688-8e71-e80d9eac4ac8.jpeg

Kits that looks like it could be a beautiful stone that might cut well. If look back at a similar question I posted on this forum What to do with a large stone you can see some of the advice I have received.
My advice. Do your homework. Choose a precision cutter over a commercial cutter. Dont send it to Thailand. Expect maybe a 3-5 carat return at most from your stone. Take your time and talk to a few people because you may never find another sapphire this good again and you only have one shot at getting it cut properly.
The good news is there are some very talented cutters who follow this forum.
Good luck.

Welcome to PA kits... :Y: :beer:
There are a few very good Cutters on here... Just have a look through the 'Mineral and Gemstone' and Lapidary section and you can see their work....... Where are you located ?.....

Once you make 10 posts, you can PM (private message) them.... So start posting.... :D

LW....

As above Kits, check out the forum archives and share your general location as one of our cutters may reside just around the corner and a first hand inspection and chat about faceting designs/options is what I would recommend.

You have found yourself a breathtakingly beautiful stone. :inlove:

Be prepared to pay the price that a competent cutter is asking - $45 / CT is not out of the question. Choose your cutter carefully as this is your only stone, plus it looks to me from the only pic that it may be better off as a cabochoned stone and there is nothing wrong with that. I will take a pic tomorrow and show you what I mean.

Some people in my lapidary club sent stones to Lambert Industries in Thailand and they were happy with the results. I have heard others mention them as possible cutters. But do your homework, there should be blog sites and review sites if you want to check them out. I had thought of them and I was going to send some smokey quartz as a trial i.e. no great loss if they didn't come back. But I never found anything worth faceting, so never needed a trial.

A few weeks ago I met a guy who told me that he once sent a few good sized and quality sapphires to Thailand to get cut (not sure if it was Lamberts) and he never saw them again.
He then told me that there was no way he was going to pay $28/ct to get them cut here.
Shame he has nothing to show for it.
Even at $45/ct it will probably still be a good investment on a quality stone.
This forum has shown examples both good and bad from Lamberts with the general consensus being that larger good quality stones are best cut locally.

I get some quartz done at Lamberts they do well but there is a7 month wait getting stones back at the moment. There are Some really good cutters on this forum :)

That looks to be a lovely stone Kits and worthy of a good cutter. If the stone is 10.2ct expect to lose at least 2/3rds during the cutting and a lot of this depends on how well the stone fits the design.

To be honest I think it would be a shame to send it to Thailand as though they cut nice stones, there is a big difference between 'Native' cutting and precision cutting. A 3ct precision cut stone will always be worth considerably more than a native cut stone.

Some top cutters on this forum so have a hunt, check out their work and find someone near you.

Wow what a cracker of a sapphire. If i was you i would definitely get it faceted here in Australia. Get a quality cut stone even at $50 a ct would be worth it in my opinion. Plenty of awesome cutters on here or ask around maybe at your local lapidary club. Let us know how you go and good luck :D