Cartwheel Penny From Copper Coast S.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemd

Mike
Reaction score
I recently got on to a really nice spot for detecting and being the considerate guy I am, I invited my parents to head out there with me while they were on holidays. The first coin my dad pulled out of the ground was this cartwheel penny. I tried to be happy for him, while swallowing the curses I wanted to utter. Still, if there is one in the area, then there could be another I guess.

1555655349_img_20190418_082345-min.jpg

And after a quick clean, you can make out George III's head and the first few letters of George.

1555655395_img_20190418_131119.jpg

Not a bad way to start out a hunt with a cartwheel penny, very promising. Hopefully some nice older coins to follow. :perfect:

Mate be happy for your dad great to have that Experiance with him some of us arnt so lucky time together is precious great to work an area together cheers muk

Greenhornet_au said:
Wallaroo hey ?

Was just there camping, Kato spent 5min around the tent and pulled up a three pence 1942, she has such a good nose.
A few other bits later too.
Was there two days ago - it was a busy coastline when copper was being mined, with a significant population. Should be good hunting ground.
Most of this has now gone - open fields and new holiday housing estates. So even paddocks might yield treasures.

1555659742_moonta-wallaroo.jpg

goldierocks said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Wallaroo hey ?

Was just there camping, Kato spent 5min around the tent and pulled up a three pence 1942, she has such a good nose.
Was there two days ago - it was a busy coastline when copper was being mined, with a significant population. Should be good hunting ground.
Most of this has now gone - open fields and new holiday housing estates. So even paddocks might yield treasures.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1555659742_moonta-wallaroo.jpg

Yeh I came across some open ground that used to have houses on it presumably, there were piles of rubble here and there. It has yielded a lot of good stuff over the last week, the cartwheel was the pick of the coins but I picked up an 1806 or 7 halfpenny and about 30 British coins all up. We also found 5 nice cricket belt buckles, some militaria and a lot of vintage bits and pieces.

Yep cartwheel is definitely a bucket lister for me too.

Your dad is very lucky, or your very unlucky Haha, either way is a great find and theres hopefully another there for you

aussiemd said:
goldierocks said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Wallaroo hey ?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1555659742_moonta-wallaroo.jpg

Yeh I came across some open ground that used to have houses on it presumably, there were piles of rubble here and there. It has yielded a lot of good stuff over the last week, the cartwheel was the pick of the coins but I picked up an 1806 or 7 halfpenny and about 30 British coins all up. We also found 5 nice cricket belt buckles, some militaria and a lot of vintage bits and pieces.
It is a good site and they are good finds. I think it would be about 1866 that it was established, died and is now re-established (access not bad). I have often wondered about Kapunda - it is one of Australia's earliest mine sites (about 1846 I think). Used to be old ruins everywhere, including mining odds and ends, but the town has grown. I drilled the mine - great azurite and malachite concretions.

i.e. most of that wattle scrubland now around Moonta-Wallaroo was originally cleared and built on. Locals seem friendly except some Adelaide weekenders....Saw some nice specimens on dumps. The world's best atacamite specimen came from there...

These are the cricket buckles found so far on this site. 2 by my dad and the rest by me, I got another today I have yet to clean. The 3rd buckle down has an English registry mark, 6th December 1867.
Until I moved to this area 5 months ago I had never found a cricket belt buckle, I'm now up to 8 I think.

1555909000_img_20190419_162735-min.jpg

1555908572_img_20190418_132811.jpg

1555908573_img_20190419_161800.jpg

1555908619_buckle2front.jpg

1555908852_buckle1front-min.jpg
1555908942_img_20190418_132831-min.jpg

Well.... I hope your Dad leaves it too you one day far off in the future.... until then enjoy the green of envy. :p
A lovely story as it passes down the line..... unles he leaves it to someone else :eek: :D :Y:

Those buckles are awesome, been researching old sports fields for a while but am yet to find one. Mostly just cans and ringpulls so far. Think there's been more drinks consumed than overs bowled round yere!

aussiemd said:
I recently got on to a really nice spot for detecting and being the considerate guy I am, I invited my parents to head out there with me while they were on holidays. The first coin my dad pulled out of the ground was this cartwheel penny. I tried to be happy for him, while swallowing the curses I wanted to utter. Still, if there is one in the area, then there could be another I guess.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../14772/1555655349_img_20190418_082345-min.jpg

And after a quick clean, you can make out George III's head and the first few letters of George.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/14772/1555655395_img_20190418_131119.jpg

Great work!! Welcome to the KG3 club!
Must be an old area of town.

The area had a large number of Cornish miners which is the reason for the cricket belt buckles I believe. Given the number I've found it must have been very commonly worn by men at the time.

Latest posts