Minelab Equinox 800 use on gold - Tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coil is very bump sensitive.which is a reall pain on rocky ground....And mineralization will determin how deep it will pick up the nugget. :Y:

Tried a couple of NOX's in some gold places in SEQ and air tests are suss, but once you actually start detecting the ground... ummm unless the gold target is on the surface or rather large = not worth the trouble.

Had only one 6in coil and the user could not get it stable, but I think he was trying to hard to max out settings...

While I found that less was more with the 11. May have lost some depth and sensitivity, at least we could get it stable and usable.

Found the 705 with its gold coil did better than the NOX in the locations we were at.

But the NOX and 705 did OK with relics and coin due to ability to discriminate but no significant depth - still comes back to the user as ground conditions change every few M.

hot rock and ground noise with 800 ,when I first started I was getting hot rock but I have found in gold 2 you can notch them out ,ground noise is not a problem ,the detector is stable and the coil I have no problems with the way it preforms regards john

It picks up really small gold.(From my creek bed tests)
Great for working those shallow bedrock areas around creeks especially with the 6 inch in gold 2 ..or even field 2 works just as well.

Oh and the Nox has already proven itself many times over to be a capable sub gram Gold detector in the right conditions :) :Y: :perfect:

Dave79 said:
Yep, it will but it struggles to descriminate between gold and hot rocks in mineralized ground. ie it will give a good signal when waved over a test nugget but will also give off dozens of good signals when waved over hot rocks on mineralized ground. I've just got a 6" coil for mine and am keen to see how it goes on gold so send me a message if you're free Monday or Tuesday next week and we can go do some tests with it.

I bought my Nox specifically to find a gold sovereign on the rubbishy alluvial camps . To over come the mineralization I notched out some ferrous #s and a few for hot rocks . I have to keep experimenting every time I change diggings , so I haven't got a permanent answer for you on settings . I always spend 10 minutes setting up the notches each hunt . I always get the Nox running smooth and very happy with it .
No gold coins yet but for approx 9 hours here's a pic of the gold . I also ran it on benign ground and will put up a pic of my bonus find .

Cheers
goldrat

1555419990_img_1167.jpg
1555420073_img_1169.jpg
1555420140_img_1178.jpg

Mackka said:
Wow, what a fantastic find in that buckle.who would have thought the yanks played cricket.
Mackka

Mackka ,
I have discussed this with some goldfield history experts and the general consensus is the yanks had very strong sides in the 1850's .
I was totally wrong believing poms were looking for an easy win .

Cheers
goldrat

Hi all you NOX owners.

Since the 800 has a gold mode, it would be good to hear / see what gold nuggets have been found with it. Please post photo's if possible and indicate depth and quality of signal along with detector settings - only if your happy to share settings of course..

Thanks Allan

have tried with mine in both gold mode and field no gold yet but have found lead shot down to about 80-100mm in both modes

Hi Guys,
I don't have any Tips,Tricks,or Pics YET but I know there's a few on here that do quite well with the Nox on small gold.
I got the 6 inch coil the other day and I was really surprised at the tiny bits it could pick up with the ground testing I did.
It did seem to be more responsive to a target while in multi rather than 40khz.
This should work really well over shallow bedrock which is where I plan to hunt as soon as work permits.
We all know this is not a dedicated gold machine but for people like me that live far from any decent gold fields I feel it will be a very capable machine in the right areas.
Please feel free to add your Tips,Tricks and Pics so all us Nox owners can drool and dream of our next adventure.
Cheers Smoky. :beer:

1605075121_rps20201111_171011.jpg

There's 11 nox bits for under half a gram. Mostly just use gold mode 2 with recovery speed bumped up to 5 or 6 but in mineralized ground you'll probably want to notch out the hot rock numbers or it will drive you nuts! In my area it's 12-16 in anything but pale coloured clay. I find manually ground balancing every square meter or so is best but tracking works, just gotta give it a while to catch up.

Dave79 said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12713/1605075121_rps20201111_171011.jpg
There's 11 nox bits for under half a gram. Mostly just use gold mode 2 with recovery speed bumped up to 5 or 6 but in mineralized ground you'll probably want to notch out the hot rock numbers or it will drive you nuts! In my area it's 12-16 in anything but pale coloured clay. I find manually ground balancing every square meter or so is best but tracking works, just gotta give it a while to catch up.

Which coil do you use Dave79?

Only found gold with the 6" coil. Did some tests with the 11" a couple of years ago and it was only good for gram plus bits that would easily be picked up by any PI machine and it seems to be way more affected by hot ground.