ANZAC DAY - LEST WE FORGET

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting this here at the request of Marksman,this is not an item that I found,it belongs to a friend of mine.It was his Grandfathers and is believed to be a piece of trench art or Sweetheart badge according to experts.Rising Sun badge with Mother of Pearl backing. Very cool item.
1555067958_image.jpg

Found this posted on another site (swear words removed)

ANZAC Day tips for the younger generation...

1: REMEMBER THE DAY.
This isn't your Boozer, this isn't your 21st birthday, this isn't your bucks night. Don't be a dickhead.
Don't rock up to your Dawn service in a Purple suit, don't bring your Mrs if she's going to wear a skin tight dress that lets everyone see what she had for breakfast.
It's a day of Remembrance, whether it be our forefathers from all the conflicts before, or our brothers who gave their life in the recent conflict.
It's a day for them, not us.

2: Mates don't let mates drink alone.
Stay with your mates.
Too many times I've seen a Digger sitting alone in a gutter all suited up, with no friends in sight. That is not on.
It's an emotional day for some, and there's no way any of us need to do it alone.
You never know how much they might need it.
The only person who might be drinking alone is that Old Digger down at the RSL, which leads onto...

3: Buy an old Digger a beer. Let him talk your ear off, more than likely he'll want to hear about your life. Talk with him, have a few beers.
It'll probably make his whole week.

4: We're all on the same side:
Army, Air Force, Navy, old school, junior, we're all on the same team. ANZAC Day is about them all.
Don't be running your mouth at someone just because their Aussie flag is a different colour.
At the end of the Day, we all signed the blank line.

5: Have a good time.
Enjoy yourself, catch up with a mate who you haven't seen in a while.
Go to the Dawn Service, Have a Gunfire Breakfast. Play two up. Message a mate who you haven't seen in a while.
Go out in your best looking Lowes suit.
Enjoy all of our Traditions, old and New.

Enjoy your day and most of all "respect" those who have sacrificed their time and lives for us all.

When I was a kid, still in Primary School, I used to play the trumpet in our military band. I would play The Last Post and Reveille at our Anzac Day ceremonies.

One year our band played at a ceremony in Parramatta Park, and I had to play the Last Post and Reveille in front of a pretty big crowd. I was %&$ing myself and missed a couple of notes.

At the end of the ceremony, I was packing up my gear and turned to see my band master and a few of the old diggers that were on stage during the ceremony smiling and walking over to me. They came straight up to me and shook my hand, thanking me, congratulating me, and patting me on the shoulder. I knew I hadn't played my best and couldn't understand why these great men, men with letters after their name, men with medals on their chest, were shaking my hand.

I guess I learnt the meaning of the word humble that day. I'll never forget how small I felt in their presence.

...and I think I understand a little better now what those old tunes meant to them.

Lest we forget

Ya know, when I came home in late '68, I felt like a fugitive in my own country. Mates were spat on, called baby killers, rapists. You sort of crept back into civvy street so no one knew about you.

I just went home to my missus and held her tight. She worked for Dept of Defence and was the first person to see that daily cas reports. Our first wedding anniversary was spent with me in 'Nam. So was my 22nd birthday. Not great times.

Why am I telling you this? Well it took 45 years before I would talk about it, and I still fight it to this day. It helps when I can talk about things. Not necessarily detailed things, although that has helped too. Every little bit of accepting what happened helps me cope with the memories. I'm pretty good these days, mostly, but when I think back about dust off when my mates are laying on stretches, all covered up except their bloody boots, waiting for the dust off chopper. Well, it still gets you where it hurts.

Thanks for the post 7.62, memorable.

Cheers from the memory of Coral & Balmoral.

Hi Ken,
John Hartford did Lorena . It is about the American Civil War and his lady.
Can you have a listen and see if it fits. I love what you are doing for our fallen and those returned and currently serving.
Regards and thanks
Mackka
Lest We Forget

Phoenix76 said:
Ya know, when I came home in late '68, I felt like a fugitive in my own country. Mates were spat on, called baby killers, rapists. You sort of crept back into civvy street so no one knew about you.

I just went home to my missus and held her tight. She worked for Dept of Defence and was the first person to see that daily cas reports. Our first wedding anniversary was spent with me in 'Nam. So was my 22nd birthday. Not great times.

Why am I telling you this? Well it took 45 years before I would talk about it, and I still fight it to this day. It helps when I can talk about things. Not necessarily detailed things, although that has helped too. Every little bit of accepting what happened helps me cope with the memories. I'm pretty good these days, mostly, but when I think back about dust off when my mates are laying on stretches, all covered up except their bloody boots, waiting for the dust off chopper. Well, it still gets you where it hurts.

Thanks for the post 7.62, memorable.

Cheers from the memory of Coral & Balmoral.
Thank you for your service Phoenix76.I am so sorry for the way you guys were treated when you came home.My uncle Lance Corporal Phillip (knuckles)Mcdonell 2RAR,struggled with PTSD until his passing in 2014 aged 72.

Latest posts