Rawdon Vale NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found an old reference to alluvial gold in the Rawdon Vale area, despite reports of gold being mainly recovered by shaft mining. There does seem to be many posts referring to this area. Has anyone had got anything to report on the area?

Trove has a report from Sept 1898
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14142833

Saying that; RICH FINDS AT RAWDON VALE.
A report has boon receivcd by the Mines Depart-
ment from the warden at Raymond Terrace stating
that 50 men are now at the rush on the Messrs
Lawrie's private land at Rawdon Vale, and that
about 15 claims appear to be on payable gold. One
nugget unearthed weighed 11oz, 5dwt., and a lad
has found a second nugget weighing 35dwt. amongst
other gold in one trough. Another man obtained a
1 oz. nugget. It is stated that the wash is only from
6in. to 9in. deep and on the rough bottom the coarse
gold is found. The opinion is expressed by the
warden that a number of men can be profitably em-
ployed, but there is no excpectation that any very rich
finds will be made. Miners are arriving daily,
although it is not advisable that any rush should
take place._

There was alluvial gold in the area originating from reefs.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1555929541_copeland-gold-deposits.pdf
According to Trove some decent nuggets were found in pretty shallow ground at Rawdon Vale.
Some more info:
http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1869&highlight=yalwal said:
Kerripit Creek Goldfield & Little River Goldfield

The Kerripit Goldfield, also known as the Rawdon Vale Goldfield lies approximately 120km southeast of Tamworth and 15km west-north-west of Copeland. It originally encompassed Golden Gully, a stream running down the main range dividing the Barrington River from Rawdon Creek. When first discovered the creek produced rich gold-bearing quartz specimens shed from nearby reefs.
Should give you a start on some research.
Try NSW historic parish maps - you might be able to pinpoint the private land?

Thanks for the replies, I should have noted it was alluvial I was interested in. I had some of the ref's, it just doesn't seem if many have been there recently nor any recent alluvial has been found, but is on my to do list of locations.

I didnt work that specific spot but considering that to the east of that area across Copeland , Gloucester , dungog is rich with alluvial gold I would say its worth investigating.

Many rivers around there have good gold but the problem is depth and access.

Flood gold for example is found all through the gravels in the Williamson river and others I cant recall the name of right now but the really rich pay is under 4 - 7 feet of gravel , if you can dig that deep for your yellow then good luck to you , you will get plenty of good chunky gold but few of you are likely to get that deep , plus getting access to the best parts of those rivers is likely to meet resistance from locals unless you are lucky enough to know somebody who owns property there.

Good luck with Rawdon

mbasko said:
There was alluvial gold in the area originating from reefs.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1555929541_copeland-gold-deposits.pdf
According to Trove some decent nuggets were found in pretty shallow ground at Rawdon Vale.
Some more info:
http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1869&highlight=yalwal said:
Kerripit Creek Goldfield & Little River Goldfield

The Kerripit Goldfield, also known as the Rawdon Vale Goldfield lies approximately 120km southeast of Tamworth and 15km west-north-west of Copeland. It originally encompassed Golden Gully, a stream running down the main range dividing the Barrington River from Rawdon Creek. When first discovered the creek produced rich gold-bearing quartz specimens shed from nearby reefs.
Should give you a start on some research.
Try NSW historic parish maps - you might be able to pinpoint the private land?

As recently as 10 - 15 years ago I am told that owners of rural blocks at dungog found reefs across 2 - 3 properties with enough gold in them to pay for new homes.

Exact dollar figures or gold weights were not provided but :trophy:

Edited PS. Anyone who has driven around Dungog and Copeland will notice the hills there are very steep so I think they are geologically very young . They didnt erode much yet , hence there is greater possibility of finding as yet undiscovered reefs in the micro faults which exist in them.

Hopefully some Geos here can elaborate on my musings.

Thanks for the input CS
Blocker and I have been exchanging PM's and info and it looks good so far ..
We need to do a far bit of research before taking the plunge and driving out to a spot.
Hopefully we can zero into a good area and get out and do some hands on testing soon..

Heading out tomorrow with Nucopia. Hope his reference to "plunge"and "zero" aren't premonitions.

Blocker and I drove out to Rawdon Vale this morning .
The digger and a young bloke we know also went along.
Blocker and I had been doing a bit of research trying to narrowed down the list of possible palces to one that we both thought might be worth a visit.
We got there around 10.30 and washed a couple of test pans in an area mine view had marked as historical alluviul workings ..
Where were only there 15 minutes or so when the property owner pulles up in his ute to see what we were up to..he thought we had gotten bogged and offerd to help .. O:)
Lucky that when he did pull up, we didnt have any pans spades etc where not in plane sight because the pans we had washed showed before he pulled up did not have a trace of colour in them not even a speck. We had all been standing around the two prados haveing a snack and brew and were contemplating where to go next, when he pulled up . he trurned out to be a nice bloke and talked with us for a little while and when he knew we were not bogged , he was on his way with a smile and a see ya around nice to meet you .. :)

So far so good ..next we back tracked down to the bridge and parked up there ..pans out gum boots on and into it ..
:pickshovel:
Blocker had a cyabbie pump bucket and pan ..the digger and I found a pan and spade each ..we all found a different spot and got to work.
My self I found a nice big flat peice of bedrock with what looked like nice down current crevises and steps where small rocks and gravel had been washed and settled.. I removed some over byrden and panned out the gravel on the bottom.. found a fair bit of black sand but not a speck of colour ..i moved 4 times and repeated the same scenario and in each place found the same thing , plenty of black sand but no gold..
The digger came away with a similar result for her efforts and Blocker got stuck in to a few good places with the pump and pan but also only washed up fine black sand ..
It was getting over cast and the sky looked like a storm would hit us soon so we decided to pack up and explore further up the road that ran parallel with the creek .. wow what beautiful country is hidden away out there just amazing ..
What we cound it most of the land where gold might be , is land that is not Easliy accessable ..fences run parallel with the streams and creeks to keep the cattle out of them ( prospectors too ?) and all the land is private propert. The other obstical is the topography of the land ..thick bush..steep slopes and next to no way to get to places that mine view had tagged as historic gold mines/workings..
Still it was a great day out in the beautiful country side and it was really nice to meet Blocker plus apart from a quick shower the tain held of and the sun came out again :sunny:
0 out of 10 for gold 10 out of 10 for sceenery company and a great day out. :perfect:

Apologies for the grammar and spelling errors in the last post..

On the drive back to Gloucester, Along Rawdon Vale road we stopped at a bridge crossing the Barrington river.
WE walked out onto the bridge to look up and down the river , the water was crystal clear and we contemplated going for a walk along the bank and looking for a place to try our luck.
The only problem, there was barbed wire fences running from the very edge of the bridge in both directions either side and fences ran parallel with in a few feet of the river banks.
Every tree that could be was painted in large capitals "KEEP OUT : there must have been 30 or 40 trees painted with the same message.. :/