The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would I be better off going to maybe Castlemaine? Fair bit closer to Melbourne and Im not really fussed where i am. Ive heard a few people say an areas and area and they can be just as productive as each other. I think the appeal to me and many others is the huge nuggets that have been found in the Moliagul/Dunolly area lol.

Mate Goldierocks has given you some unreal information, DO RESEARCH on your area, your acting like you want an x marks the spot to find massive nuggets which isnt going to happen, good luck out there

Hi VGH, it's all very exciting and also very confusing for someone starting out in the hobby, one thing is for certain though and that is pretty much all well known areas in the goldfields are pretty flogged, those that aren't are usually little pockets of areas that get kept very quiet about.

The best I can suggest is like the others have suggested, go to a good camp grounds, Waanyarra is about as good as you'll find out there, get friendly with other campers there and they may pass on some good info to get you going, they may even ask if you want to tag along as most prospectors are a friendly bunch and happy to lend a helping hand to those just starting out.

If you prefer to go for a detect on your own then it's just a matter of picking an area that has good diggings and go from there, go slow and cover the area well, if you are finding lead then you are in with every chance to find gold.
Personally I would just pick an area near a good camp ground and stick with that, get to learn your 4500 with time detecting, if you come back to camp at the end of the day with a few trash targets found at depth (3-6") then you've done well, it's all a learning curve and it takes time to be confident to read the grounds and know what your 4500 is telling you, the worst thing you can do is rush and go from one place to another thinking you must find gold, it will lead to disappointment and frustration.

Just pick a spot and get out and enjoy the experience, the rest will follow as you go.

Best of luck.

Mec30 said:
Mate Goldierocks has given you some unreal information, DO RESEARCH on your area, your acting like you want an x marks the spot to find massive nuggets which isnt going to happen, good luck out there

Thats what most newbies seem to want, it does not work that way no person is going to give you gold or locations. There is not much left and its not easy to find.

ProspectorPete said:
Hi VGH, it's all very exciting and also very confusing for someone starting out in the hobby, one thing is for certain though and that is pretty much all well known areas in the goldfields are pretty flogged, those that aren't are usually little pockets of areas that get kept very quiet about.

The best I can suggest is like the others have suggested, go to a good camp grounds, Waanyarra is about as good as you'll find out there, get friendly with other campers there and they may pass on some good info to get you going, they may even ask if you want to tag along as most prospectors are a friendly bunch and happy to lend a helping hand to those just starting out.

If you prefer to go for a detect on your own then it's just a matter of picking an area that has good diggings and go from there, go slow and cover the area well, if you are finding lead then you are in with every chance to find gold.
Personally I would just pick an area near a good camp ground and stick with that, get to learn your 4500 with time detecting, if you come back to camp at the end of the day with a few trash targets found at depth (3-6") then you've done well, it's all a learning curve and it takes time to be confident to read the grounds and know what your 4500 is telling you, the worst thing you can do is rush and go from one place to another thinking you must find gold, it will lead to disappointment and frustration.

Just pick a spot and get out and enjoy the experience, the rest will follow as you go.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate will do, i'm getting a little ahead of myself thinking one spot might be better than the other and researching profusely. I think im trying to find that perfect spot but there just as similar as each other and its a matter of picking one.

Swinging & digging said:
Mec30 said:

Thats what most newbies seem to want, it does not work that way no person is going to give you gold or locations. There is not much left and its not easy to find.

I never asked for a x marks the spot? just a general area where i'm in for a chance of finding yellow. I just read a post with someone asking a similar question and someone replied any spots really as good as any

General area = GT for Victoria, John Tully & Doug Stone maps show all the best and most likely spots.
Does not get any easier than that? Just need to set yourself realistic goals, maybe finding a small bit.

Failing that Ebay sells small nuggets at $60 a gram

The golden triangle in Victoria is a noted historical producer of the majority of the world's found large nuggets.
The area is very famous for rich nugget producing goldfields and many nuggets have been found by prospectors.
In the gold rush nuggets below 20 ounce were not considered amazing historical finds and the definition of a nugget
has now changed, today's modern hobbyists out challenge each other to find the smallest possible detected bits
with detectors like the SDC and Gold Monster. Finds of less than 0.01 gram are now considered nuggets and
proudly displayed on the forums finds page.

In this hobby you need realistic goals, as getting rich out of gold is not possible for all or most of us. :cool:

also try trove which contains digitised newspapers and look for reports of gold findings

Gday vic gold hunter the best I can tell you is buy a Tully book and systematicly go through it and mark it as you go good spot /junk /relics /good dam for yabbies its all there you just need to put the time in lead shot is a blessing we all hAte it but if your finding it your in with a chance perseverance dont give up cheers Muk.

Hello prospectors,

I have been going up to wedderburn every second weekend for the last two years to visit family, and have recently bought myself a gpx 4500. I have tried a few areas around there but I am not sure if I am looking in the right areas. I am willing to search other places within the golden triangle too but I am unsure of where to start. Any info is appreciated O:)

Around old shallow workings. In any number of places. Persistence is the key, but I find many people swing around an area, move on, try somewhere else, move on. Except for areas that are very readily accessible, most areas still have a bit of gold, although nuggets are in short supply nowadays.

Hi NuggetGod. Welcome to PA.

As HH says, Research is the key, followed by persistence and knowing your machine & its manual intimately.
John Tully's gold maps are a good start (although I don't know if he has put one out for Wedderburn?). Geovic is also good once you get used to it's different layers, and the fact that it usually crashes on the weekend :)
Happy hunting :pickshovel: :goldnugget: