Sydney Area Gold Fossicking Spots - Where? Is My Question.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought 2 Gold Bug Pro's for AU$310 each from Ali Express. Yes I know that they may be copies, since receiving them every photo comparison, document comparison, packaging printing, etc, and feature reflect what I can get off the Fisher Research website in Texas. The units were shipped from Singapore, and other than a 7 day delay in the dispatch, it arrived in 3 days via UPS. I bought it using PayPal for insurance and I was extremely apprehensive from the beginning and when the invoice did not describe the detector as more than a Gold Bug Detector. To be honest any written information, and message information I recorded (insecurity on my part) was making no sense. But I received a Fisher Gold Bug Pro it and I want to try it on Gold.

I have done a little beach fossicking on Rock Cove beach in Tuncurry. Found a lot of nails, bear bottle caps, buried aluminium foil, plus one $2 coin. Ranging at about 100mm below the surface. I only did soft sand searching with about 4m2 of wet sand searching. When I was near a rocky outcrop in wet sand I detected a hot rock about 30cm under the wet sand. As far as my expectation went, I was happy with the performance. I used this exercise as a learning exercise rather than a hunt for treasure.

Can anyone suggest a good and close location to Western Sydney where myself and my daughter can do a daytrip to further enhance our skills while "maybe" detecting a bit of gold. We will go out a bit further once we are happy with our self education.

Colin
I joined this site today

Welcome.

Sunny Corner would be your closest goldfield, followed by Sofala, Wattle Flat and Hill End They are old, so some good relics can be found there too.

Dont want to dampen the spirits but the darn stuff is hard to find, even with a $10k detector. I always take a gold pan in order to try and see a tiny bit of colour when my detecting ability comes up short.

Research is must if you want to maximise your likelihood of success.

Latest posts