Gold quantities upstream in the Shoalhaven river

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on gold found upstream in the Shoalhaven ?

I have a customer with farm properties at Krawaree and Jerrabatgulla .

The Krawaree property backs on to the Shoalhaven and if I do a little fencing work for him I can get access to pan or use a river sluice there.

I know there is plenty of gold in the Shoalhaven from its intersection with the Mongarlowe and downstream from there but upstream at Krawaree is unknown to me ???

Any knowledge to share before I go and do free fencing work for nothing ?

Its 4 hours drive to check it out so I would like to do more homework before committing to anything.

Found this on the World of Shiny Stuff site.

1555290088_screenshot_20190415-085922-600x800.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug

Hi mate I've done a bit of panning all over the Shoalhaven. You will find gold gold all the way along the river. Best take your sluice.
Most of the places where good gold was found are now shut off from the public, so if you have access to the river it may be worth your time. The gold is fine and you'll need to move alot of sand but I've seen 28g per day taken from the Shoalhaven with a sluice.

hi rockhunter trying to find world of shiny stuff web site,can not seem to find it,if it is not to much trouble can you supply a link to the site thanks :)

I've panned and sluiced for quite a few years along the upper reaches of the Shoalhaven at the usual spots like Jembaicumbene, Jinglemoney and Warri with the usual fine gold. I also tried further upstream on the Shoalhaven and Jerrabattgulla Creek with no colour at all.

I once found a report on Trove of "course gold" found on Oronmear Creek, which was the old name for Jerrabattgulla Creek but can't seem to find it now! There are reports (Check NSW Digs) of gold in several quartz reefs along the Shoalhaven and Jerrabattgulla Valleys including on my property, the gold bearing reef of which only barely breaks the surface and the gold is so finely disseminated or locked up chemically so as to make any hard rock mining unprofitable. There has been very little eluvial deposition yet (none actually extending for more than ten metres downslope) from "my reef", let alone alluvial into any stream, and i expect the same for most of the area could be true. Come back in 50 million years for that...

I think erosion of the upper parts of the Shoalhaven area has not been deep enough yet to erode gold out of the rock as it has in other areas around Braidwood and in most deposits the gold is too sparsely disseminated to be mined. Once again, we may have to wait for nature to do its work in the extreme upper valleys of the Shoalhaven and wash all that new gold out of the rock and into the river.

vcubitt said:
I've panned and sluiced for quite a few years along the upper reaches of the Shoalhaven at the usual spots like Jembaicumbene, Jinglemoney and Warri with the usual fine gold. I also tried further upstream on the Shoalhaven and Jerrabattgulla Creek with no colour at all. **** thats just what i needed to know , thankyou****

I think erosion of the upper parts of the Shoalhaven area has not been deep enough yet to erode gold out of the rock as it has in other areas around Braidwood and in most deposits the gold is too sparsely disseminated to be mined. Once again, we may have to wait for nature to do its work in the extreme upper valleys of the Shoalhaven and wash all that new gold out of the rock and into the river ,**** sounds fair , will put a note in my diary to check it every 50 million years , gold should be 200 million bucks an ounce by then too .

Latest posts