Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prooz said:
THANK YOU, very much Dihusky for your reply and hints on what to look for. I thought your machine must have been a Hall looking at the mast adjuster in your photo.
Hope to see this machine in the morning we haven't talked about price yet, not even sure how old it is. If it does need work and the price is ok, I am capable to be able to do the work myself, I'll post the out come.

Once again thank you

Cheers

Let us know how you go and take some pics

Let the learning begin, got myself a faceting machine, it is a Hall, I think it is in very good working order. Dihusky I did what you said and checked the run out on the master lap with a dial gauge, the gauge didn't move off zero. Will do the other test as well.
It's a Hall machine an older model without the dial gauge but has a light to indicate the bottom of cut, I have a dial gauge that I will fit to it before I try doing my first cut.

The machine came with....
Full set of dops
5 laps
Two loops
Little gadgets for picking up stones
Two little wick burners for doping wax
Assorted little jars of stones
And a saw, But the saw needs a bit of electrical tidy up before I would be game to turn it on. Home made saw.

The faceting machine it self runs very smooth and quite. Will have to get my mate to go through the containers of stones and to go through the laps with me.
I could be going out to Mount Surprise some time this week so will take all that along with me.

Will get some pics soon. Cheers pro oz.

Guess we won't see you back out at Western Creek now Pete. You'll be out chasing shinny stones now for your new hobby. Next thing you will be making the rings and settings out of gold to put your cut stones into. :gemstone:

Have fun with your new hobby. :Y:

Cheers

Doug and Carol

Cheers Doug, I will be out at Western Creek May/June just waiting for it to cool down. My mate has always said he would teach me how to facet just something else to do in retirement on a rainy day. I still like to detect have been hitting the parks and playing fields pretty hard and doing pretty well just going for pocket money and to pay for my new toy.
Still can't keep away from the spanners, going out to Mount Surprise to put the Diff back into the mates loader that we pulled out before Christmas, so plenty to do.

What about you what are you up to? are we going to see you back at WC?

Cheers Peter.

Prooz said:
Let the learning begin, got myself a faceting machine, it is a Hall, I think it is in very good working order. Dihusky I did what you said and checked the run out on the master lap with a dial gauge, the gauge didn't move off zero. Will do the other test as well.
It's a Hall machine an older model without the dial gauge but has a light to indicate the bottom of cut, I have a dial gauge that I will fit to it before I try doing my first cut.

The machine came with....
Full set of dops
5 laps
Two loops
Little gadgets for picking up stones
Two little wick burners for doping wax
Assorted little jars of stones
And a saw, But the saw needs a bit of electrical tidy up before I would be game to turn it on. Home made saw.

The faceting machine it self runs very smooth and quite. Will have to get my mate to go through the containers of stones and to go through the laps with me.
I could be going out to Mount Surprise some time this week so will take all that along with me.

Will get some pics soon. Cheers pro oz.

Sounds like a nice package, this might help you identify what model it is: http://www.turbofast.com.au/astrotel/faceting.html

So what are the laps? If one of the loups is a Belomo, you're on a winner, they're the best.

Now you need to get John Broadfoot's book "Cutting Gemstones A beginners guide to faceting' you'll find it a excellent resource.

The mark five is the only one similar the way the post is fixed Mine is older still I think. I fitted a dial gauge to day a bit of mucking around.
will post a pic when I can.

Cheers

Latest posts