Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite several attempts, I can't upload photo. I suspect the photo exceeds size limit despite cropping it. Not sure how to fix on this ancient iPad.

Hi All,

Thinking of trying Tibooburra this winter. Does anyone know what's available, caravan park, general store, daily stuff like milk, bread or any like info.

caravan park 25 bucks 140 week 2 pubs roadhouse with basics mini mitre ten post office etc they own c,park cafe, motel with the c,park not much but enough great place , to go pros u pay pub ,cafe ,roadhouse 3 different areas camping 15 bucks and pros, just pros10 bucks a day ,common 25 for month ? i think, im going to be there tomorrow 4 a month just look 4 the bloke in the cream akubra with a sack over his shoulder (it full of gold dont tell anyone) :) :) :)

We've stayed at the caravan park a few times. It's great. Big camp sites so you're not on top of the next one, good facilities, ie bathrooms, laundry, campfires, dog friendly, walk to the shops and pubs, and on the doorstep of the common. About 15ks out to other detecting areas. Nice quiet relaxed atmosphere.

Forgot to ask, what is the condition, sealed/gravel of the road between Broken Hill and Tibooburra.

I rang there the other week and was told by May there would only be 39kl of unmade rd give them a ring they are most helpful regards john :Y:

MacRob said:
Forgot to ask, what is the condition, sealed/gravel of the road between Broken Hill and Tibooburra.
The dirt sections are generally ok, but the whole road is closed if more than 5-10 mls. of rain falls.
The irony about the dirt section is that they water the worked on sections for grading, causing boggy bits around where therere working.... nearly got stuck in one with the van last time through. Lots of help around though if you do strike trouble.
1555479460_120b7927-8cfe-4dc5-ac4b-b39135732a14.jpg

View from the boulders behind the c/p
1555479460_9972c4b8-a23a-4260-b609-4d360e3f2ed3.jpg

Youre stuck there if you see this.

After many years of reading tales of Tibooburra, my wife & I found time this year to visit & get a better understanding of early gold mining in that area. Actually having just returned a fortnight ago we were actually glad to get home after our winter hiatus. The first few days were warm & sunny but then the cold that pervaded the interior hit, & days were still sunny but the wind was cold. Nonetheless we worked ,or tried to work out where the gold might be & for the next week finally we had to admit defeat. No gold for us. Probably like most goldfields it takes time to work out which way is up, Tibooburra on the other hand for us had no way up. Seemingly thousands of acres of ironstone & quartz everywhere & interesting looking gullies, & dry blow mounds give a feeling of hope to prospectors to work harder & smarter for a sight of colour but alas. The 4500 with a 12 inch evo coil I thought might be the wonder wand, its seen some tiny gold here in the triangle, but several coil changes & settings were to of no avail. The go-to machine is the 2300 up that way, I don't own one -yet! Alas we conceded defeat & went sight seeing, out to the dog fence & the corner store where we drank coffy with the dog fence repairer & dingo trapper who had some interesting tales to tell, especially about the backpackers!! I won't go there!
All in all we had an enjoyable time except for the Melbourne temperature weather we endured, & moved further North only to have the Melbourne temperature weather follow us everywhere. Might as well be home , so that's what we did. Have any members been up that way? Is there a secret to reading the ground I didn't think of? I know a tight group stay up there for three months or so who couldn't or wouldn't hang around if they weren't getting gold, [ not this black duck & his pick carrier its barrenness & starkness is not comfortable for a lengthy stay]. Our excuse to be in the bush is gold detecting, & its got to be enjoyable enough to sit out in the bush & boil the billy & listen to the birds, & take it all in, when the gold is being uncooperative.
So, who has got gold up there, & what's the secret?? Let's hear what I didn't learn. Dave..

Latest posts