If You Had To Buy A New Detector Today, Which One?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 4500 with a 15 evo and I have found gold. But I know from trials with 2300, 5000 and 7000 with undug gold targets in the ground the others got signals I didnt.
If you have a 7000 do you really need a 2300 as well? Why?

That will always be the way. The 2300 will pick up the very small gold the 7000 will not even see. Two completely different machines.
The 7000 is primarily larger and deeper gold and the 2300 shallow and very small gold.
People tend to have both if you can afford it. Mind you the 4500 with the right coil will also pick up fine gold. For example the small sadie coil will pickup very fine gold.
And really when you start to getting very fine gold it is alot of digging for not much.
Personally I prefer digging less but finding larger gold. Mind you it may be a while between drinks :)

GPZ = $9700
GPX= $3400
SDC= $3400

That is alot of gold you can get for $6K mind you I would love a GPZ but know well out of my price range. (so I have told)

Cheers
HH

I have had them all and have settled back into a 4500, Mrs Redfin a 5000.
We have both found gold at depth with these machines and only last weekend she found this at 3 inches with the 5k and a 14x9 elite.
Why bother with a 2300.

1555391741_img_20190413_12461021901.jpg

HoudiniHarry said:
That will always be the way. The 2300 will pick up the very small gold the 7000 will not even see. Two completely different machines.
The 7000 is primarily larger and deeper gold and the 2300 shallow and very small gold.
People tend to have both if you can afford it. Mind you the 4500 with the right coil will also pick up fine gold. For example the small sadie coil will pickup very fine gold.
And really when you start to getting very fine gold it is alot of digging for not much.
Personally I prefer digging less but finding larger gold. Mind you it may be a while between drinks :)

GPZ = $9700
GPX= $3400
SDC= $3400

That is alot of gold you can get for $6K mind you I would love a GPZ but know well out of my price range. (so I have told)

Cheers
HH

no.....the 7 will find targets the 2300 can't even pick up. The 7 is by far the great allrounder.

HoudiniHarry wrote:
'That will always be the way. The 2300 will pick up the very small gold the 7000 will not even see. '

I will disagree with this statement. Our 7000 with 14" coil will pick up anything the 2300 can detect.
It is all in the settings, and in how you use your machine and listen to it. We have both and on the 2300 use a b&z booster and the only time the 2300 is better is in heavy bush/scrub there you cannot get the 14" coil. Tibuburra is open and there the 7000 will kick the 2300's butt. Our findings.

lostnfound said:
I have a 4500 with a 15 evo and I have found gold. But I know from trials with 2300, 5000 and 7000 with undug gold targets in the ground the others got signals I didnt.

Hi mate,
No you dont NEED a 2300 as well but it sure as hell compliments a 7000.

The 7 will find gold the 23 wont find and the 23 will find gold the 7 wont find. I use both.
After I think Ive pretty much cleaned a patch or hole with the 7 Ill redo it with the 23, this is especially true when dealing with ultra reefy spongy sandwich type gold.

I have found stuff that gives an audible signal away from the 7s coil yet only just when rubbed on the 23s coil and yet found stuff that does the exact reverse.

These new small X coils might shake things up with the 7 but then its a matter of changing coils. The 23 is also an excellent pinpointer in a big deep hole on larger gold.

When hunting reefs there are some areas you just cant get a 7 in to as well. But for all round use and if you could only have one, the 7 wins hands down.

lostnfound said:

Gday

The 4500 and 2300 are a good combination, cant peak for the value of the 7000 from personal use but in light of my observations of it in use on the same ground against 2 users with 4500's and 2300's over several trips, the 4500 and 2300 combination definitely totalled more gold over all, if weight is a consideration for you then you may find that because the 7000 is a brick then you can get some pain relief by swapping to the 2300 later in the day, its fair to say that the 2300 will get some types of gold that all the other detectors like the 4500/5000/7000 wont and vise versa.

In short having both detectors whether it be a gpx or gpz and the sdc combination will simply give you more options and get you more gold.

cheers

stayyerAU

Hi There!
We have a different soil in Russia, we have the best is minelab 3030 or XP deus for small nuggets. GPZ 7000 does not help us, because you do not know what purpose you are digging. There is no discrimination.

There's another reason to have the SDC handy (or in combination with any detector really?) that I'll add to the good info above and that is simply that you can use the SDC in all weather situations without an issue.

I certainly wouldn't risk the Zed or GPX in the wet weather as they aren't waterproof at all, but I've been swinging the SDC while caught in torrential driving rains many times over the years and just kept on detecting.

Another SDC bonus worth thinking about. :Y:

Cheers,
Shauno.

Latest posts