Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ProspectorPete said:
I printed out the exempt list (3 pages) and usually carry it with me in the car when I go out mainly in case my plans change but also to cover my arse if pulled up by an ill informed inspector.
Hey Pete could I please ask where you got the exempt list thanks mate

Has anyone ever prepared an actual map of exempted streams and rivers in Victoria? Or better still, a GIS layer?

Hi Robert. See one on the forum a few weeks ago. Search exempted rivers vic. It's good

A lot of people are saying they're confused about this list, with various reasons/excuses/ legal terms etc.
But I think this is pretty straightforward.

1540894923_banned.jpg

Banned means banned in anyone's language.

I agree Megsy...buuuuut...you then go to Bright and the local council actual advertises on their website to "grab a miners right and pan in the Oven's River".

And there are areas around Reedy Creek near Eldorado that you can prospect in even though it is on the list.

These are just two examples in my area - I assume there are many more around the state.

If it really were banned that would be simple - it is the grey areas that make it difficult to interpret.

Yes, I've noticed there are instances where local councils advertise prospecting on rivers and creeks that are on the list - and I have to wonder if they even know that list exists - I'd say no.

I even sent an email to one such tourist place asking if they have special permission to prospect on that river when it's on the exempt list and I got back... no reply.

The question we have to ask ourselves then, is, 'Who has the higher authority to allow prospecting on exempt rivers and streams? If we say we saw it on the tourist website, can the Victorian Government Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources who say those rivers are exempt, just say, 'Well they're wrong, and as a prospector you should know this list and do the right thing. Two wrongs don't make a right...'

Well that's my take on it, until one of those councils say they have special permission to overrule the Victorian government, which is the higher authority that will be hitting us with fines.

Thanks to all for contributions. Yeah it is strait forward (I'm not a sheep) but if its on the list don't prospect, it sux but that's how the government like it keep the people under your thumb and the goverment win. If the people stand together we win. You can't have that now (bbaaaahh)

Hey Everyone,
Im just reading through the list of exempt rivers and creeks and I have a question. On the site it says Creswick Creek Tributary of Tullaroop or Deep Creek does that mean Creswick creek is out of bounds? Or just those 2 creeks in the tributary? Or all 3 but specifying those 2 in particular along with Creswick creek? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Hippy :Y: , I guess my question was more to do with tributaries, eg with the Creswick river exemption how it has 2 creeks listed along with it(Tullaroop and deep creek), does that mean any other creek in the tributary is ok? I dont feel as if Im making what Im asking clear enough, so apologies if thats the case.

It's a bit of a minefield when researching for new places to prospect.

Im not familiar with the area but from my understanding deep creek and tallaroop are off limits but the other tributaries should be fine as long as they are not on the exempt list or managed by parks victoria.

Cheers Hippy. Yeah it definitely is a minefield. The amount of cross checking I find myself doing is nuts, buts its all part of the fun I guess :rolleyes: . I guess I will just take what I read as literal as possible and if I ever come across anyone plead my case then. Thanks heaps for your responses :perfect: :Y:

"Creswick Creek Tributary of Tullaroop or Deep Creek".

This is saying that Creswick Creek, which is a tributary of Tullaroop Creek (that is also known as Deep Creek), is exempt. In short, both are no-go creeks.

Cheers,
Megsy

Not many places left to go in Victoria :-(

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ick/rivers-and-streams-where-you-cant-fossick

Trying to figure out exactly where you can and can't prospect for gold within Victoria's creeks and rivers can get a little confusing. Victoria has a list of exempt rivers and streams - a list of all the rivers and creeks you are not allowed to prospect in, which is unfortunately very long. When checking out creeks and rivers for gold prospecting, the first thing you should do is refer to that list. If the creek you are thinking of prospecting in appears on that list, you must not prospect there. Simple, right? Well, sort of...

The first thing you might notice that makes you think, "hang on a minute", is that Reedy Creek (tributary of Ovens River) is included on the list. Reedy Creek is one of the most popular creeks in Victoria for prospecting, a place where you are pretty much guaranteed to get fine gold in your pan. This is a creek which is openly promoted for gold panning... yet there it is on the exempted rivers list, plain as day.

The reason for this is that Reedy Creek passes through the Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park, and Parks Victoria has designated areas within this park for prospecting - which includes a section of Reedy Creek. So prospecting is permitted in this one section of Reedy Creek, but as it is on the list of exempt rivers and streams you are not allowed to prospect in any other parts of Reedy Creek (see the Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park Prospecting Guide for a map of where you can prospect along Reedy Creek).

So some creeks on the list of exempt rivers and streams can actually have sections where prospecting is permitted. On the other hand, some creeks which are open for prospecting may pass through areas where prospecting is strictly prohibited, so those sections are off limits. If in doubt, your safest bet is always to contact relevant authorities and ask about the particular river or stream you are thinking of prospecting in.

I have been unable to find a clear and simple list of gold-bearing creeks and rivers in Victoria where you can prospect, so I have put this one together. I'm hoping this list will make it a bit easier for people when they first start looking into which creeks you are allowed to visit for gold panning and sluicing. The following list of creeks and rivers are open for prospecting (or have sections open for prospecting) and are known to contain gold.

Please note that this not a complete list of all the gold-bearing creeks in Victoria, it's a collection of creeks which are well-known for prospecting and are already promoted for this purpose. Also keep in mind that some of these creeks will be dry during hotter months.

Latest posts