First Time Out In Whipstick.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After finishing the Miners den 3 hour basic training in Bendigo which was great by the way really made me feel comfortable using my GPX4500 I headed out to a random spot I picked in Whipstick Conservation Reserve for the rest of the day, near swipers gully I think. Anyway after walking around I spotted 2 other detectorists and tons and tons of holes and scrapings. I could have sworn I was in the middle of no where! Is it like this every where or is there still a lot of virgin ground out there? I felt like all the gold had been found already.

I was in the whipstick yesterday and i would say there were as many people there as i have seen two blokes ended up no more than 50 metres from me .They would not have known i was there untill they got close usually dont see to many but yesterday was an exception,PS no gold either .But it is still there.

lordo.1 said:
I was in the whipstick yesterday and i would say there were as many people there as i have seen two blokes ended up no more than 50 metres from me .They would not have known i was there untill they got close usually dont see to many but yesterday was an exception,PS no gold either .But it is still there.

Your probably who I saw, I was surprised to see anyone I thought I was pretty remote

Get your practice in around the GT and you'll pick up some bits eventually. Nothing remote about the place. It's tough going but once you become a competent operator you can always plan a big adventure to the WA goldfields. Instead of scrounging for a single missed target you may be rewarded with a patch containing many nuggets which can take days to grid and thoroughly detect.

VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:

Your probably who I saw, I was surprised to see anyone I thought I was pretty remote

I was in a maroon rodeo . Did drive past a vw on my way out which i saw pull up ,But it is the whipstick and lots of prospectors go there so not surprising to see other people .

lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:

I was in a maroon rodeo . Did drive past a vw on my way out which i saw pull up ,But it is the whipstick and lots of prospectors go there so not surprising to see other people .

Yeah your who I saw, I was on your right, had you been to that spot before? The white VW was mine.

VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:

Yeah your who I saw, I was on your right, had you been to that spot before? The white VW was mine.
Yep been there before and had some luck in the general area

lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:

Had much luck on those workings we were close to? Saw plenty of holes on the mullock heaps

VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:
lordo.1 said:
VicGoldHunter said:

Had much luck on those workings we were close to? Saw plenty of holes on the mullock heaps
As i said had some luck in that area nothing large just a few small pieces.

Latest posts