Private Property

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Are there any maps online that depict what is private property and what is crown land etc?

I have State Forests and National Parks etc worked out. So I know where I can an can't go in those regards, just unsure of private property.

Thanks in advance :)

In Victoria, you can find it in GeoVic.

1555294962_crown_land.jpg

There's a good tutorial on YouTube on how to use GeoVic.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/y0jwCaAa1ck[/video]

Cheers,
Megsy

Don't forget, not all crown land is accessible.
A lot of crown land is leased out to people for up to 99 years. And then becomes treated as private land.
Commons are usually a good search.

Thanks for the info, guys! I should have mentioned NSW.

SixMaps looks like a very solid start.

What are the rules for large rivers that have private land (different owners) on each side? Are you allowed in that river?

(Edit)
Auto correct is killing me tonight :p

Jazz said:
Thanks for the info, guys! I should have mentioned NSW.

SixMaps looks like a very solid start.

What are the rules for large rivers that have private land (different owners) on each side? Are you allowed in that river?

(Edit)
Auto correct is killing me tonight :p
if it was on your property what would you say ?

Heaps of variables in NSW, on rivers, boundries, etc. And can change within a km. Im sure most rivers in nsw can be traveled via a boat etc. So long as you access the river via public land or with permission on private property. This law was updated some time ago for fishing purposes.
Some property owhers can own both sides of the river, yet not the river boundry.
If you find an interesting part of the river you want to explore for a pan, best to just put the effort into asking the owner of the area to ghe river in some circumstances.

Thanks guys. I'll always err on the side of caution if in doubt, and ask about. At this stage I have been playing in state forest fossicking areas (with a permit of course), so I'm not constantly looking over my shoulder. Hehe :)

Planning on heading out tomorrow to have a geezer in a spot I found during the week, in state forest. Looking forward to a big day out.

Thanks again.

(Oh, and I figured that CTX didn't read the question, as the response was a bit random. :p)

This is a great forum, I have really enjoyed it, both the questions and answers. It has opened a whole quest of thoughts about the options for my own adventure. My plans were for a two or three month trek, north from the Qld/NSW border, to northern Qld. But now lower NSW and bordering Vic are looking very tempting at the moment. Plus there is the thought of hi-banking in Vic, something I'd really love to try. Thanks to everyone who has provided the great information here, it's worth gold :)

I never enter a river through a fence. I had trouble with a bloke at Nundle NSW some time ago that took exception to all fossickers. He complained, a local ranger turned up. He pointed out that there were private property fences on one side of the river, but I explained that, I hadn't entered the river through any fences and that the farmer cannot own the river and in fact the fences some distance from the river. He then went on the mention turbidity, but after I said that he might like to take that up with the guy who complained, as his cattle which he was moving along the river might be causing a fair bit let alone urine and faeces being dumped in Tamworth's drinking water, he checked my pensioner card and left.

Please excuse my arrogance and don't take it the wrong way, but I always thought that flowing water ways such as rivers through private property were not part of the property as such. But don't get me wrong but i'm sure if i had a river running through my property i wouldn't want prospectors making a mess/holes in my part of the river without my permission. Am I right or wrong thinking this?

A Very typical reply and thoughts of many. So no bad there thinking that.
A creek say in NSW, running through private property is exactly that, private!
A creek to be a creek, not a river is defined by its length I beleive. Hence you will see heaps of 1mile creek -> 12 mile creeks signs. Not 13 mile creeks. ?
After that it is defined as a river.
The Meroo creek falls just short of being classified as a river.
All creeks and rivers are governed by laws of what and how they are treated/used and maintained etc.
Titles/deeds vary from one property to the next, multiple variations can be found on one river alone.
Farmer A might own one side of the river, to the water line, farmer B owns the othe side to the water line. You wont see a fence line often. You are free to FISH from in a boat .
Further down stream farmer C might own both sides of the river + the river bed!( But not the water)
Further down river again, farmer D owns both sides of the river, but not the river bed! Crazy hey.
But some deeds where written up a very long time ago, yet still are valid today.
Most rivers in NSW ( but not all) are accessible to FISH within a boat, launched from a public area, or from private property with permission.

YEARS ago and friend and I found the perfect spot to pitch a tent on the Macquarie river.
We simply did our investigation of who's farm it was and approached the owners. Fortunately we got the thumbs up, and we drop him in a fish every time we go out there.

In some cases where you drive over a bridge that has a river or creek below it, the imediate land below it is gov owned. And an illegal fence has been attached to the
Bridge. This method of fencing livestock in from the road is most practical way of fencing in livestock. And councils ignore it untill bridge work needs to be carried out.
Jumping that fence and panning underneath the bridge may in some cases be legal to do so, but.......
Do you want to take on an angry bull, or have a confrontation with legalities with the farmer?
Honestly!
Simply do the right thing and go ask!
He may well show you a better spot on his property to pan.
Beats looking over your shoulder.
If you get a "NO",
Respect it, and maybe ask him where you can.
He may well point out a spot you can.

Cheers mate for the information very helpful. But if you don't ask the question you never get a answer.
Just to note I myself don't prospect illegally and always gain the correct permissions.

Post a particular area up here, there is usually always some here that knows the area etc. Get some good tips of spots to camp etc

Latest posts